Author Topic: Bike Friday  (Read 3965 times)

Bike Friday
« on: 27 September, 2010, 07:58:52 pm »
My Dahon Speed TR has a sick back hub and while it is away for fixing I have been using my Brompton which has served to remind me how much I prefer the Dahon.
I've been thinking about places I'd like to visit before I die and I'd like to ride the Bristol to Bath cycleway. I'd also like a soak in the hot baths at Bath, and I'd like to ride the Roman road from Bath to Kemble and while I'm in Bath I may as well call in at Avon cyclery.
They happen to be a Bike Friday dealer. Are Bike Fridays the best of the 20" tourers? I love my Dahon, it fits beautifully but I wouldn't mind something slightly less mass produced  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Bike Friday
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »
Are Bike Fridays the best of the 20" tourers?

At the very least, they face stiff competition (for the title) from the TSR 30. Which certainly also qualifies as being "slightly less mass produced" than the Dahon.
"There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with spending money on a bike."--R. Ballantine

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »

At the very least, they face stiff competition (for the title) from the TSR 30. Which certainly also qualifies as being "slightly less mass produced" than the Dahon.

Except that TSRs are "demountable" rather than foldable.  But in that company the "best" should also include a Moulton New Series? (be sure to be sitting when you see the price - especially for a Double Pylon).  Although admittedly not as hot in the luggage carrying front as more lowly Moultons.

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:41:48 pm »

TSR 30? I've not heard of that; I'll google  :)
Ah, Pashley Moulton but it's not a folder.

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:43:40 pm »
It needs to fold but doesn't have to be a super quick fold like the Brommy and it doesn't have to have suspension; ThudBuster seatpost and Big Apples do ok

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:54:41 pm »
Although admittedly not as hot in the luggage carrying front as more lowly Moultons.

This is exactly why my vote goes to the "lowly" TSR 30.

As for the New Series, I would be more than reluctant to get one (even if money was no object) now that I've read Jan Heine's recent evaluation...
"There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with spending money on a bike."--R. Ballantine

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »
There are some flaws with Jan's evaluation.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »
I haven't read the BQ review of the New Series but have read the commentary on it.  I don't think it would put me off buying a New Series but as a Moulton aficionado (if you hadn't worked it out already) I was very disappointed when it came out to find that it had been designed around short reach dual pivot brakes so severely restricting tyre choice and the fact that you can't squeeze a front mudguard under the brake arch.

TBH (and to stray OT a bit) Moulton does tend to miss the target at times with his bikes: the AM-ATB looked a perfect touring bike apart from crap brakes (long reach sidepulls over BMX-sized tyres: when asked why he chose those, the reply was that cantis would stick out an catch on things); the luggage carrying is restricted by the designer's insistence on proprietary luggage systems (panniers are more capacious than the Moulton bags, designing an appropriate suspended rack is not too difficult and others have indeed made aftermarket versions); the GT's backwards carrier and sloping bag; and the NS's brake issues.

I'm very fond of my own aged AM but probably the best all round Moulton (for me anyway) would be a TSR 9 frame (with V-brake bosses) built up into a triple.  Ample tyre clearance and lots of tyre choice, and a minimum of Moulton specific bits like tiny 9 tooth sprockets.

« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »
Ok, being a little more specific: I'd like a folding 20" tourer that is a little more elegant than my Dahon Speed TR.
It must be a folder because I don't want to be handling two, or more, pieces of bike on a train when I'm likely to have two pieces of luggage as well. That's the unhappy direction I am moving with my Trice. The exception to this would be that lovely Danish one off that was featured in an early issue of VeloVison.
It must have 20" wheels because 16" wheels are a disappointing ride in comparison; 24" have limited tyre choices and 26" are too like ordinary uprights.
Anybody got a Bike Friday maybe NWT or Pocket Crusoe that they love and adore?  :)

Clandy

« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:33:05 pm »
If a Moulton doesn't fit the bill (I ride a TSR 27 and it is quite simply one of the best touring cycles I have ever owned), what about an Airnimal Rhino? Three versions all capable of touring.

Airnimal Folding Bikes | Airnimal Rhino Models

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »
If a Moulton doesn't fit the bill (I ride a TSR 27 and it is quite simply one of the best touring cycles I have ever owned), what about an Airnimal Rhino? Three versions all capable of touring.

Airnimal Folding Bikes | Airnimal Rhino Models

Thanks for that. They are interesting, if pricey, I hadn't realised that they do 20" wheel bikes. I see there is a dealer near me so I'll pop over and take a look.

Clandy

« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2010, 12:47:19 pm »
Or how about one of these:

kansi

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »
I have Trek F400 Navigator which will soon be advertised for sale.In fact there will be 2 for sale.
I'll wander off to see if i can find some details to link to

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:01:56 pm »
Or how about one of these:

kansi

Saw those advertised in the current CTC comic - look similar though not exactly like a Dahon Mu.