Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 135145 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1200 on: March 06, 2020, 02:23:04 pm »
As noted by pcolbeck, Ms Fish on fine form last night too.  Her four-string cigar box guitar is the most evil-sounding example of the species I think I've ever heard.
Oh yeah, she's good, isn't she?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1201 on: March 12, 2020, 10:30:39 am »
Explosions in the sky were on good form last night.  Not the best I've seen them, but still very much enjoyed the night.
All-seated concert @ glasgow royal concert hall:  It felt like everyone in the central 20 seats got up to the toilets and/or bar about 10 fukkin times tho

Saw them in Bexhill-on-Sea.  Going to see the support - A.A.Williams tonight in her only headline show.
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1202 on: March 15, 2020, 01:22:34 pm »
Spent much of yesterday hitting F5 on Nells' webby SCIENCE but Joanne Shaw Taylor's gig was not virused into oblivion, praise be!  New rhythm section; only ex-King King Hammond-botherer Rob the Dutchman left from last time.  She played the whole "Reckless Heart" album followed by a handful of songs voted for online by We The Audience and was, as usual, ’kin wonderful.

Support from a small woman with a medium-sized guitar and a huge voice, who I think is called Sonia Lee.  The singer, not her voice.  She's from Nashville.  "I'm goin' home tomorrow!" she proclaimed.  "Oh no you're not!" we chorused.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1203 on: March 21, 2020, 09:35:18 pm »
I've spent much of this afternoon as a 6 hour-long online gig with Carsie Blanton https://www.facebook.com/carsieblanton/videos/668195710585449/

She's one of my absolute favourites at the moment.  And she did an Anais Mitchell number because I requested it, and Joe gave the SmallestCub a 10 minute bass tutorial because I asked if there was any chance of getting the bass parts for two songs so he can learn them :D

They've raised the band's rent money for the month, a fair bit towards recording the next album and a wodge for some of the charity/Not for Profit/3rd sector organisations that she was going to be featuring and supporting on her (cancelled) tour.

« Reply #1204 on: January 12, 2021, 09:47:53 pm »
David Byrne at the Hydro in glasgow. What a fantastic show, the dance and music were excellent, and made it a gig unlike any I've been to before. 11 musicians on stage with DB, each of them either with their own instrument or were singing and dancing. If you go, make sure you get a good view of the stage, sadly at the Hydro the seating wasn't tiered and there was lots of very tall folks in as ever.  The big screens don't capture the big picture of the whole stage.

A very different show from the techno lights/screen spectacular which is more the norm. The atmosphere was the best I've felt in the Hydro.
Top marks, and strongly recommended.

David Byrne at the Hydro by sg310, on Flickr

Bought the DVD of this and we watched it tonight. Loved it.  You do miss being able to concentrate on 1 person, but its still a superb show.  The dancing and choreography are the best I've seen.  "David Byrne's American Utopia"

A nice bonus is the cycling scene at the end where the cast go on a ride around NY.

« Reply #1205 on: January 12, 2021, 09:52:58 pm »
Otway at the Launderette in Durham.

Damn, 11 bloody months ago :(