Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 235979 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1700 on: 23 May, 2024, 10:58:22 pm »
Peat and Diesel at Oran Mor, Glasgow.   Superb gig, best I’ve been to in a while. 

« Reply #1701 on: 24 May, 2024, 01:33:49 am »
Were they on form then?

Seen them a couple of times in London (as well as the couple of songs they did at the Celtic Connections anniversary concert last year), and each time it's seemed like there's a lot more to give. Maybe it's that they've been a long way from home turf, maybe just jaded from touring, but I've never felt the gig's been what it could have been.

« Reply #1702 on: 24 May, 2024, 09:32:26 am »
Boydie was struggling a bit with his voice so there was a bit less banter than usual according to my mates.   But they played a full 2hr set in that small venue to a crowd who knew a lot of the songs and made it a cracking atmosphere.   Apparently it was their first time together in some months.  A bit of making it up as they went on I think. 

They were booked at Oran mor a wee while back but due to demand they did 2 nights at barrowlands instead and this was them making good on their commitment to Oran mor.   

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1703 on: 27 May, 2024, 12:08:26 am »
Last night was Ruby Turner. Great rapport with the audience, and really happy to be performing.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1704 on: 30 May, 2024, 08:53:31 am »
English Teacher at the Electric Brixton. Very good indeed.  There was a sense of euphoria generated by the band, being the last date of a tour and the biggest (sell-out) crowd they'd ever played to.  TBH I wasn't expecting too much of Lily's voice seeing as how much of their stuff is spoken voice, but she was pretty damn good at hitting notes at volume and got very lively, strutting around stage and crowd surfing at one point (always makes me nervous).  The band were very tight (end of tour bonus) - special mention to the bassist.  "Daffodils" saw the whole venue blasted with yellow ticker-tape confetti - never seen that at a gig before!

Support from Mary in the Junkyard.  I knew a few songs from comp playlists and like them quite a lot.  Spoilt slightly by some inappropriate distortion effect on her guitar - sounded more like a blown speaker than a rock growl.

Interestingly they both had traditional bowed instruments - cello and viola respectively. This seems to be a "thing" with current indie-rock touring bands.  TTRRUUCES also had a fiddle player.
The sound of one pannier flapping

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1705 on: 30 May, 2024, 09:05:34 am »
English Teacher at the Electric Brixton. Very good indeed.

Ah, wish I could have joined you for that. Sounds like it was a good one. Lily is great.

The Electric is a great venue. Their next London gig is at Shepherd’s Bush Empire - a sign that they’re getting too big for my liking now. Glad I got to see them in a small venue.

Support from Mary in the Junkyard.  I knew a few songs from comp playlists and like them quite a lot.  Spoilt slightly by some inappropriate distortion effect on her guitar - sounded more like a blown speaker than a rock growl.

I like their song that’s on the 6music playlist at the moment but don’t know anything about them sissy from that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1706 on: 30 May, 2024, 09:06:51 am »
Last night was Ruby Turner.

My parents are great fans of her. Must admit I know very little about her but she sounds like a great performer.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1707 on: 04 June, 2024, 12:23:38 am »
The Infinite Monkey Cage at The Royal Institution. Entirely brilliant. Got a look round the museum  first, complete with Tom Lehrer Elements game,some original Davy safety lamps and Michael Faraday's safety glasses.

The guest panellists were a game writer/researcher/creator called Dave Neale, comedian Jessia Fostekew and tiny mathematical brain box Marcus du Sautoy, with a discussion about games and gaming. All absolutely marvellous.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1708 on: 13 June, 2024, 11:41:30 pm »
Well, tonight was a WOW gig - three very special performers and sets.

First an engaging set from Alex Kozobalis

Then the sublime Poppy Ackroyd

And finally the fascinating and ethereal Erland Cooper

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1709 on: 14 June, 2024, 01:49:54 am »
I thought I recognised that reel to reel deck ...

Saw Erland Cooper at the Barbican on Saturday courtesy of The Family Cyclist - as you say ethereal, and maybe a touch fey. Quite outstanding in any case