Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 234524 times)

microphonie

• Tyke 2
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #650 on: 13 October, 2015, 06:53:22 pm »
The wonderful LoneLady at Norwich Arts Centre

Finished with an extended version of Hinterland , which was mighty funky.

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #651 on: 13 October, 2015, 07:01:43 pm »
Blackbeard's Tea Party at the New Cross Inn on Sunday- bloody great they were too!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #652 on: 16 October, 2015, 12:48:58 pm »
Half Man Half Biscuit at the Town & Country Club Forum, Kentish Town, and jolly good they were too.  nb10 in good form with a fine rant about the crapness of the cafe at Cecil Sharp House and they played "Jarg Armani" which I don't think I've heard them do live before.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #653 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:25:30 pm »
Bob Dylan at the Royal Albert Hall. Not so sure about the Sinatra but overall he's still got it.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #654 on: 27 October, 2015, 10:48:28 am »
Simone Felice, in the wonky-floored upstairs sauna at the Black Swan on Sunday. 

I think I worked out that it was the 5th Felice gig I've been to.  Less messianic than at the Brudenell, nicer venue (and rather more polite audience!) than the Cluny, less sticky floor and much better bar than the Duchess (where I've seen him twice)  I realised that I probably like him better drumming than playing guitar - I still think the one (at the Duchess and with guitar) with Simi was probably my favourite though.  No poetry reading!  An early curfew, 10:30, at the Swan on a Sunday meant it was a prompt start at 8 and an unusually-short-for-Joe running order, comprised of Anna Mitchell then Felice with Anna Mitchell, and none the worse for that.

I suspect That Deano might have been one of the youngest there!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #655 on: 27 October, 2015, 11:22:01 pm »
One For The Road, self proclaimed busking band at the Kissingate Brewery Octoberfest.  Followed by banjo-ey Americana goodness from The Wildest Way.  I've seen Alex from The Wildest Way before, fronting Straight No Chaser, a big band. The Wildest Way claim to be playing at Horsham folk club in January. I'll try and go along.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #656 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:25:21 pm »
As a change from the Purveyors of Musical Tunes I am just returned from a vaguely Halloweeny-themed literary bash at Foyles, at which Louise Welsh, Neil Spring, Andrew Michael Hurley and Dr Larrington plugged their latest books, and some other bloke whose name has slipped my mind plugged someone else's book on account of the author himself being dead.  And jolly good fun it was too, especially when I got a Special Mention for having introduced Dr Larrington to the popular folk song "Black Shuck" by The Darkness.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #657 on: 12 November, 2015, 12:28:01 am »
I am not long back from seeing jolly blues-rock outfit King King at the Islington Academy and teh aces they were too.  Also bekilted front man Alan Nimmo actually said hello to me before the gig though he was in civvies so I didn't recognise him at first.  But I did recognise his almost-hipster keyboard player.  And then spent half the gig trying to work out what effect his Leslie speaker was having on the sound of his Hammond.  "None" would appear to be the answer.

« Reply #658 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:01:05 am »
Nerve. A sort of techno/dnb band but with humans playing it live. Was stood next to a grinning Roni Size for most of it.

« Reply #659 on: 13 November, 2015, 07:05:53 pm »
The RLPO playing Schumann & Mahler.    I was knackered after a pretty crap few days at work, so sadly the Schumann didn't really register and my eyes kept closing.  I woke up for the Mahler though.  Wonderful stuff, and Petrenko deserved his applause.   

http://www.theartsdesk.com/classical-music/faust-rlpo-petrenko-philharmonic-hall-liverpool

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/13/royal-liverpool-philharmonic-orchestra-vasily-petrenko

I'm really lucky to have the Phil on my doorstep (5 minutes walk) and it's great to see the hall full to capacity (1800),  but I'm one of the younger members of the audience!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #660 on: 13 November, 2015, 07:09:11 pm »
Currently riding the bus to Stockton-on-Tees to see Dreadzone at Ku bar. Very excited about this. Last gig before that was Dead Kennedys up at King Tut's in Glasgow. #vicarfactory

« Reply #661 on: 13 November, 2015, 07:20:37 pm »
Keston Cobblers Club at Portland Arms in Cambridge.

Any band that uses Tuba for the bass line just has to be seen and heard!
Old fat and slow

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #662 on: 16 November, 2015, 08:02:34 am »
I've missed one out!

Towards the end of half term - Cat Power at St John-at-Hackney in That LonDon.  I've been looking out for a show I could get to for about three years so I wasn't going to miss the opportunity.  One of our party had to bail due to "manflu" but I managed to flog their ticket on the door.  Packed venue for the second of two (I think both sold-out) performances.  Dreadful support, although there was a group in front of us who clearly disagreed, wildly expensive hipster beers in cans and wobbly portaloos round the back of the church.  The main event was precarious and therefore, for me, a touch nerve-wracking and I'm not sure the heavy handed use of the smoke machine was helping with her bit of a sore throat but with 1400 people clearly willing her on to the end of the set list she made it and it worth every second of the delayed trains, peak time underground, commuter-sardined overground and grumpy TfL staff that it took to get there.  And then I had a bonus weekend in Hertfordshire's Finest Hotel too.

Then, last night, another church and some more spectacularly beautiful voices (one of whom was also a touch croaky) at the last night of the Unthanks 10 year anniversary tour, with Pocklington Arts Centre co-opting All Saints church as their performance space for the night.  I've nearly seen them live several times and this time it finally happened!  There was even some clogging.  Glorious stuff.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #663 on: 19 November, 2015, 05:08:47 pm »
Oh Wonder at The Haunt in Brighton. Josie (the girl singer) is the daughter of one of my wife's old teaching chums. Good gig (as the young folk say).

http://www.thehauntbrighton.co.uk/#!oh-wonder/c1e7z
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #664 on: 22 November, 2015, 12:02:43 am »
Dundee symphony orchestra tonight at the Caird Hall.

Borodin - Prince Igor. Great start
Rachmaninov - Rhapsody on a theme of paganini. The soloist (Fali Pavri) was fantastic - for most of it it seemed that he was just playing with the orchestra (who were doing a good job of keeping up - bit like wiggo going for a ride with the club chain gang.) and the rest he showed that he was putting the effort in and it was fantastic.
Mussorgsky - Night on a Bare Mountain.  A popular piece and again very well done.

Tchaikovsky's first. I must admit that I thought the first movement was pants. Not the playing but the music itself. The next two were sublime - just lost myself in them completely - could have been anywhere. One thing the orchestra does really well is the sustained tone and harmony so it sounds superb without any defects to jar. And a good finale.

Then we came out of the hall and it was snowing.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #665 on: 27 November, 2015, 11:18:05 am »
Bellowhead at the New Wimbledon Theatre, bloody great live band. Shame its their farewell tour.

« Reply #666 on: 02 December, 2015, 01:27:57 am »
The Darkness, in Cambridge - Brilliant show by a great rock band that don't take themselves too seriously. Justin Hawkins is possibly the ultimate front-man (appeared for the encore, dressed in tight, short, lederhosen and then crowd-surfed!  :o), while brother Dan is the epitome of a classic rock guitarist. Bassist, Frankie Poullain - the coolest dude in the house, and new drummer Rufus 'Tiger' Taylor (son of Queen drummer) looked terrified of what Justin Hawkins would do next...

This was the second date of their short UK 'Blast of Our Kind' tour (The new album is called 'Last of Our Kind') - well worth seeing if you can get a ticket.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #667 on: 02 December, 2015, 01:40:03 am »
And they get a name-check in Dr Larrington's last last-but-one book, thanks to MEEEE!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #668 on: 02 December, 2015, 10:50:10 am »
Middle oaf went to see Judas Priest last night, supported by Michael Schenker, grumble grumble.

Though I have seen both Scorpions and UFO live, I have never seen Michael Schenker :(

And I've never seen Priest, either, which is surprising. :(
Getting there...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #669 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:28:48 pm »
Middle oaf went to see Judas Priest last night, supported by Michael Schenker, grumble grumble.

Though I have seen both Scorpions and UFO live, I have never seen Michael Schenker :(

And I've never seen Priest, either, which is surprising. :(

So did I.  They were very good.  So was Michael Schenker although I was a tad disappointed that he didn't open up with into the Arena like he did at High Voltage - the other time i saw him. 

Perhaps the best bit was the whole crowd singing along to War Pigs which played as Priest were coming on stage.  You knew you were in for a good gig from that point on.  Or was it Desert Plains and Victim of Changes played back to back.  Monster.  The only problem is that there is no longer a kebab shop on the walk back to Stockwell tube.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

fuzzy

« Reply #670 on: 06 December, 2015, 11:58:50 pm »
Friday night was Paul Weller at the Hammersmith Apollo.

An evening I wont get back :-\

« Reply #671 on: 07 December, 2015, 11:15:44 pm »
LAst night, Howard Eynon at the Waiting Room in Eaglescliffe

I was drawn in by the blurb:

http://thewaitingroom.uk/events/howard-eynon-plus-special-guest-suzanne-elizabeth-vanner/

Enigmatic acid casualty on his first trip to the UK? Why aye. And it was a Sunday night when I had nowt else on, and I reckon my mate was sold on the Hunter S Thompson support gigs.

First up was Timothy James Oxnard, who didn't quite live up to his billing as “Teesside’s own Lord of psychedelic misrule”, but it was a bit surreal to have a bloke singing pure, acoustic delta blues while dressed like a lowly HR manager. It was good, though, especially the lilting instrumental tracks. Quite a mixed bag of stuff in there.

Second, Suzanne Elizabeth Vanner - proof, if it was needed, that Teesside has a thriving middle class, as she sang four songs entirely in French to a rapt audience. She sang them beautifully, and it was delicious.

Then the main act came on just as most people were finishing their meals. Go for the show, stay for the food, that’s the deal with the Waiting Room, which is probably Teesside’s finest vegan restaurant. PSA: It’s right next to Eaglescliffe station, and you can get a direct train from London.

The first thing most of us realised was that we had no idea what Howard Eynon looked like, only having grainy 40-year-old photos to go on, but he looked exactly the way you’d imagine. We were sitting next to a couple of tie-die aficionados, and one of them joked “that’s how you’ll look in 30 years”.

DSCF0681-1 by dean.clementson, on Flickr

We all enjoyed it, including the singer, who even got a bit of a singalong from the audience. It was a really joyful, accomplished performance. He was a bit cagy about what he’d been doing during his 30-odd years out of showbiz, but since he’d managed to acquire a wife, it’s fair to assume he wasn’t just golloping mushrooms out in the Outback. He was revelling in his rediscovered cult status, and I’ve never seen an act play the Waiting Room who didn’t enjoy its lo-fi relaxed atmosphere.

It was a good random pick, and my mate bought the record at the end. He was doubtful at first, but as soon as it was explained to him that it was on orange vinyl, he was sold ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #672 on: 07 December, 2015, 11:30:57 pm »
Now that sounds like a good night out  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #673 on: 08 December, 2015, 09:49:43 pm »
AND Simon Donald from Viz was at the table in front of us ;D

« Reply #674 on: 08 December, 2015, 10:47:03 pm »
Last gig I was actually at was Kodaline, on first aid duty, Saturday night just gone. What I heard of them from our little hidey-hole under the stage was… alright.

Last one I properly went to was Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls, a few weeks back. It was immense, as his gigs often are for me (one of my favourite artists). Lots of old favourites, so much dancing that my spine hurt for about 24 hours afterwards.

One of the support acts ended up crowdsurfing whilst still playing his double bass, which was… rather impressive.