Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 96070 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1050 on: November 24, 2018, 08:33:02 pm »
I saw the Human League last night, ably supported by Midge Ure. Greatest hits shows and seated venues aren’t usually my thing, but it was a good show, well lit, multiple costume changes and dancing in the isles. I enjoyed the music, and the live interpretation - not far from an album sound, but made to work live. Didn’t buy the t shirt or programme.

« Reply #1051 on: November 25, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »
I saw Human League ( and Midge Ure)  in Manchester last night. Was excellent.  Yes, all the greatest hits, but to be hoest thats what I wanted for my money, not a lot of obscure unknown tracks.   Second time I've seen Midge Ure, first time was in the old Beverley Playhouse that held about 300 people,  doing an acoustic set, but he was great both times.   A really good enjoyable evening.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1052 on: November 29, 2018, 02:39:12 pm »
Ana Popovic at Nell's in West Ken.  Blues-rock guitarist originally from that hotbed of all things cotton-picking Belgrade.  She's rather nifty on the Strat but something - probably the sound man - was off with the vocals as I couldn't even make out much of what she said between songs.  I'd see her again, but Joanne Shaw Taylor at the same venue was better.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Bright are the stars that shine Dark is the sky
« Reply #1053 on: December 08, 2018, 11:30:48 pm »
Terry and Gerry, featuring turista OTP at the Green Door,. Brighton. Cracking gig. Small venue, crowd of, what, 100? Chatted to Terry beforehand, he signed a t shirt I bought, my friend got him a midset G & T. Everyone knew the words, they poured their hearts and souls into it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1054 on: December 09, 2018, 02:11:36 am »
The Burning Hell at the Cluny 2 on Friday.  Blooming splendid it was too.  Ariel Sharratt belting out a cover of '9 to 5' was one of those moments when you just think 'yup, my life is now complete'.

(support was fairly annoying, but not annoying enough to make me fight my way out of the stupid seating arrangements which seem designed to maximise how many ppl a fat clumsy gig-goer will stand on/inadvertently lapdance whilst negotiating an exit although otherwise he would probably have fallen foul of my two song rule)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1055 on: December 09, 2018, 11:22:03 am »
A five or six song covers set by the surviving members of The Luckyband (aided and abetted by Emma on keyboards and Paul on guitar) at Mr Sunshine's wake yesterday.  Wonderfully shambolic.

« Reply #1056 on: December 09, 2018, 09:27:26 pm »
Great Lake Swimmers at Broadcast on sauchiehall street.  Great little venue and the band were really good. Played a lot of their new album and some older ones including a lot from Ongiara. Very enjoyable night out. Was sat next to the band in the bar upstairs before the gig  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1057 on: December 15, 2018, 12:02:27 pm »
The very splendid Pokey Lafarge at the Round Chapel in Clapton last night.  Highlight was probably his doing the last two songs unplugged from the high pulpit while swigging from a bottle of wine.  This is probably blasphemy.

« Reply #1058 on: December 15, 2018, 12:06:37 pm »
Steve Hackett, Nottingham, 1st October.  Rick Wakeman before that, and Wishbone Ash before that.  Think that list gives me away.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1059 on: December 15, 2018, 01:01:26 pm »
Great Lake Swimmers at Broadcast on sauchiehall street.  Great little venue and the band were really good. Played a lot of their new album and some older ones including a lot from Ongiara. Very enjoyable night out. Was sat next to the band in the bar upstairs before the gig  :thumbsup:

Didn’t realise they had a new album! Will have to check it out