Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 115839 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1150 on: November 25, 2019, 01:44:33 am »
Rhiannon Giddens, RFH on Friday. Really rather good.

(And it appears she was doing good works the night before - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/22/wormwood-scrubs-blues-inside-the-gig-mixing-prisoners-with-the-free)

« Reply #1151 on: November 25, 2019, 08:55:26 am »
Rhiannon Giddens, RFH on Friday. Really rather good.

(And it appears she was doing good works the night before - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/22/wormwood-scrubs-blues-inside-the-gig-mixing-prisoners-with-the-free)

We're going to see her in Edin on Sunday

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
« Reply #1152 on: December 03, 2019, 08:34:19 am »
I was at the Barrowlands last night for the Idles gig. A long time since I've been to anything so loud and energetic  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1153 on: December 05, 2019, 01:53:56 am »
Whereas David & I were at the Queen Elizabeth Hall watching Yevgeny Sudbin playing Scarlatti, Tchaikovsky and Ravel, from rather yellowed and dog-eared scores. Wheelchair seats were at the very front. Excellent!
Tickets totalled £10...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1154 on: December 05, 2019, 11:52:47 pm »
John Cooper Clarke.

Significantly less substances than last time I saw him.

Edited for typo
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #1155 on: December 06, 2019, 09:51:21 am »
John Cooper Clark.

Significantly less substances than last time I saw him.

I think I know someone who could put you in touch with someone who knows someone who could help you with that.
Sic transit and all that..

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1156 on: December 06, 2019, 09:54:35 am »
 ;D

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #1157 on: December 07, 2019, 11:26:29 pm »
The Messiah, tonight. I was "guesting" in it.

The choir was the Southend Festival Chorus, one of 3 "classical" choirs in Southend and they seem to be a bit short of members. They opened it to other singers or a "from scratch" performance.

The most frustrating part about being a choir member is that you spend a few months learning a work, sing it once and then put it away. The good thing about the Messiah is it's such a staple work, and much of it isn't overly difficult, that and experience singer can come in with one rehearsal and do it pretty well.

I'm a member of the Southend Bach Choir, and we practise each Tuesday. The Southend Festival Chorus practises on a Wednesday. Next term they are singing Haydn's Nelson mass, which I don't know, and the Mozart Great C minor mass, which is a wonderful work that my choir sang last year, so I know it well. I think I will join the as well for next term just to see how I get on.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1158 on: December 08, 2019, 10:15:59 pm »
Underworld at Wembley Arena. Main set was two hours of non-stop awesome (terrific setlist, and the 'encore' involved Karl & Rick taking a bow after Born Slippy then going straight on to the last two tracks), preceded by a 75 minute DJ set from Mr Smith, the workaholic.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1159 on: December 08, 2019, 11:01:23 pm »
Hattie Briggs.

Lovely voice and lovely songs.

« Reply #1160 on: December 08, 2019, 11:21:39 pm »
Thursday & Friday last week, The Darkness!

This tour, they are playing the new album (Easter is Cancelled) in full, then a short intermission before a second set of their previous popular stuff.

The new album set is actually better than the old stuff!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1161 on: December 08, 2019, 11:54:29 pm »

I'm a member of the Southend Bach Choir, and we practise each Tuesday. The Southend Festival Chorus practises on a Wednesday. Next term they are singing Haydn's Nelson mass, which I don't know, and the Mozart Great C minor mass, which is a wonderful work that my choir sang last year, so I know it well. I think I will join the as well for next term just to see how I get on.

Nelson Mass is fun and not too challenging. I think I sang it twice with Uxbridge Choral. I imagine you'll pick it up PDQ.