Author Topic: Who's run over a squirrel while cycling?  (Read 8271 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Who's run over a squirrel while cycling?
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »
A bee bounced off my head once when I was cycling to work. It hurt quite a lot. I wish I'd been wearing a helmet.

There's a surprising amount of mv2 in a bee.

They always seem to hit me in the face on 30mph descents.  Suspect a degree of target fixation involved.

My father had a tale of a pre-war motor cyclist colliding with a bee and just managing to stop at the roadside before he keeled over.

The most painful insect collisions I've had (apart from a wasp with sting deployed) were just below the summit of Mt. Ventoux ten years ago: the wind was whipping beetles like pebbles off the top and across the initial 10% bit of the downgrade to Malaucène. Between that and steering shimmy I had an interesting time.

Just at the start of the climb up Ventoux out of Malaucene this year I got stung by an unidentified stingy thing, about 1 cm down from the crease where my thigh meets my lady garden, and it chafed against the saddle every time I pedalled. (Yes, I know, I've got fat thighs). I've still got the scar. Still, once upon a time I would have spat my dummy out, thrown the bike into a bush and gone off in a strop, I'm obviously slightly more bad ass these days.... :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »
I ran over a badger on the Carlisle-Newcastle night ride last month, but it was already dead. (I was looking at a signpost, and didn't notice the badger until it was too late to avoid it. It was quite large, so I was surprised I didn't fall off!).

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 07:05:00 pm »
Not sure hitting dead animals counts :P
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 09:05:16 pm »
I was going down a 1-10 hill near Slough when tufty the squirrel did not look right left and right again and run into my path. He saw me coming and stopped so my front wheels would miss him. No one had told him about trike's. There was a bump and when I stopped and looked round there was no tufty. I bet he had a headache  ::-) :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:47 pm »
A fw years ago I was hit by a roe-deer on a 400 through the Jura at dead of night in the fog. We were climbing at the time so I wasn't going fast. They're quite small so I didn't fall off, and it staggered away before I could see it other than with peripheral vision; to me it was white and I thought it was a sheep until chum following told me.  I had a bit of a cut on my shin - nothing much.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 03:54:46 pm »
One of the times I was riding up and down Box Hill this summer, I was riding along past the Cafe, heading for the viewpoint and saw a family walking along the adjacent path with kids in tow kicking a ball along – I felt a slight thump on my rear wheel and looked back for the offending ball to see that a squirrel had run through my rear wheel.  I evidently was going pretty slowly!

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2014, 10:56:24 am »
I had a near miss with a squirrel on Sunday. It decided to run across a cyclepath just in front of me.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2014, 01:51:31 pm »
I did a double Belgian Badger slalom at 50kph in the middle of the night in......erm.....Belgium. So watch out if you're there they come in pairs.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »
Were they carrying goalposts?
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 10:57:25 am »
Were they carrying goalposts?

Or jumpers?

My mate Mr Sheen once murdered a sparrow with a fully-faired Windcheetah on the back straight at Eastway.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 10:30:40 pm »
a couple of years ago I got a fat lip from a bat, the fluffy flappy sort not the gray nicholls type :) and before that I did have a run in with a pig admittedly I was on the "pub bike" and on the return journey, safely negotiated the cattle grid but the pig got the better of me!! ;) 

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:27 pm »
I was hit in the chest by a bat a couple of years ago near Lix Toll.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »
I think it was 2006 when I was chased by a wolf on the Invicta 400.  Normal dogs don't makes noises like that thing did :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime