Author Topic: Cotswold Audax - 15th June anyone?  (Read 8098 times)

Re: Cotswold Audax - 15th June anyone?
« Reply #25 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:50:28 pm »
Rob - I did the 150, you'd have been long gone before I finished, I was in a Beacon shirt anyway.

Dave - I guess photo's will go up in the next few days, I'll try to remember to post here when it's done.

D0m1n1c - I can't think of a right turn to Tanworth you could've missed. If you missed the only right to Tanworth at the end of Pig Trott lane you'd have ended up wallowing with the pigs in the field opposite. You probably missed the left into Pig Trott lane and found a group of locals who know the slightly longer but flatter route.

BTW, the first 200 rider back finished in 7:31 :o which is what the 150 took me

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #26 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:38:58 am »
Rob - I did the 150, you'd have been long gone before I finished, I was in a Beacon shirt anyway.

Dave - I guess photo's will go up in the next few days, I'll try to remember to post here when it's done.

D0m1n1c - I can't think of a right turn to Tanworth you could've missed. If you missed the only right to Tanworth at the end of Pig Trott lane you'd have ended up wallowing with the pigs in the field opposite. You probably missed the left into Pig Trott lane and found a group of locals who know the slightly longer but flatter route.

BTW, the first 200 rider back finished in 7:31 :o which is what the 150 took me

The route sheet says (from memory) Left at Y sp Tanworth (Pig Trott lane), Right at T sp Tanworth.

I thought this must have been a typo, and that the instruction should have read Left at T (on a qwerty keyboard, T and Y are adjacent).  There was a fork in the road signposted Tanworth, which with hindsight must have been the Y of the instruction. However, I thought the instruction should have been a T, and therefore was looking for a T junction.  So yes, I missed the left turn, and therefore missed the next right turn.  Luckily I swept up some slower 100k riders, who were following the same route further on. 

Out of interest, is a a T or a Y?  If the latter, then I guess the fork was the correct road.

« Reply #27 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:59:27 am »
The left at the fork was what you wanted so yes you should have done "Left at Y sp Tanworth (Pig Trott lane)". The name of the road was added (by me), not because it's a funny name but to try to avoid any possible confusion and because I didn't want folks to miss the 2 hills of Tanworth   ::-)

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #28 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:07:46 am »
I think my chances of doing a 10 hour 200 are somewhere between slim and none.

I doubt very much I'd do the 151-200k run in three hours.

Blimey, if you can ride 150k in 7 hours, you can easily manage a 200k.  That equates to approximately a 10h finishing time, which is very respectable.  Remember, you have up to 13h 20m to complete a BR audax event, so with your projected 10h ride time, you have plenty of time to hang around at controls, go off route, have p*******s etc  ;D

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #29 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:10:12 am »
The left at the fork was what you wanted so yes you should have done "Left at Y sp Tanworth (Pig Trott lane)". The name of the road was added (by me), not because it's a funny name but to try to avoid any possible confusion and because I didn't want folks to miss the 2 hills of Tanworth   ::-)

I would actually have preferred the stated route - the one I followed was pretty bland and flat.  I got it right last year, so not sure why I missed it this year.

« Reply #30 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:52:39 am »
If you'd have been there at the same time as me, there was a lady participant stripping down to a bright yellow bikini having just taken the left fork so you'd almost certainly not missed it   :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:54:09 am »
I think I saw you Dominic during the really fast first leg out to Broadway Tower, but I dropped off the back when the hills started just after Mickleton. 

The organiser seemed really surprised that so many arrived at the first control so soon!

Sorry to hear that you went off course Dominic, but if its any consolation, the group of Solihull riders only finished about 20 mins before you in about 8-10 as they all went into a cafe in Burford.  They then came past me with about 15 miles from the finish.  I must have just missed you as I finished in a time of 8-35.

Super event though, but the hilliest section must have been the last 20 miles from Wellesborne to the finish.

Must remember to wear shorts next year!

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #32 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:39:10 pm »
If you'd have been there at the same time as me, there was a lady participant stripping down to a bright yellow bikini having just taken the left fork so you'd almost certainly not missed it   :thumbsup:

Could you arrange for her to be there next year  ;D

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #33 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:41:44 pm »
I think I saw you Dominic during the really fast first leg out to Broadway Tower, but I dropped off the back when the hills started just after Mickleton. 

The organiser seemed really surprised that so many arrived at the first control so soon!

Sorry to hear that you went off course Dominic, but if its any consolation, the group of Solihull riders only finished about 20 mins before you in about 8-10 as they all went into a cafe in Burford.  They then came past me with about 15 miles from the finish.  I must have just missed you as I finished in a time of 8-35.

Super event though, but the hilliest section must have been the last 20 miles from Wellesborne to the finish.

Must remember to wear shorts next year!

Describe what you were wearing (god, I sound like I'm phoning a sex line  ;D), and your bike as I may have seen you also. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:08:57 pm »
Could you arrange for her to be there next year  ;D

NikW is the man to contact with regard to bunny girls :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #35 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:04:41 pm »
Plain red Assos top.   Assos longs with Assos name on legs and riding a blue Argos bike.

« Reply #36 on: 16 June, 2008, 06:22:34 pm »
Was anyone involved in the pile-up with the 2nd group of 150 riders?  I can't remember the lane but it was early in the ride with a bit of a descent on a long single track when most everyone missed a right turn.  There was probably a dozen riders together when a few stopped a bit past the turn.  About 3 or 4 collided with the few that stopped and then one fellow came flying into the group and knocked a rider on his back.  I know one bloke had to quit the ride because of wheel damage.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #37 on: 16 June, 2008, 07:13:11 pm »
Plain red Assos top.   Assos longs with Assos name on legs and riding a blue Argos bike.

Were you wearing a black cotton cap? 

« Reply #38 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:06:26 pm »
Was anyone involved in the pile-up with the 2nd group of 150 riders?  .... I know one bloke had to quit the ride because of wheel damage.

I was towards the back of, I think, the 3rd 150 group and saw nothing nor any sign of earlier carnage. I know someone who turned back after 25 miles with a broken spoke but that was due to 'natural causes'.

« Reply #39 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:24:27 pm »
As other folk have mentioed.  I too rode the 200, and had a great day out - I was happy to get to Broadway tower with an average of 25.5kph, most unlike me. Being in local territory for most of the first and all of the second leg, it was almost tempting to use a little local knowledge - but I'm glad I resisted.

For the second week running, toasted teacake came to the rescue at Broadway Tower, and enough to get me to Burford. Then some rather posh nosh at The Baytree Hotel at lunchtime.

Then disaster struck for one fellow cyclist. Geoff Claver from Tamworth suffered a horrific injury.

Geoff was waiting behind a car turning right out of a T-junction, the car moved forward - then changed his mind and reversed into Geoff. Trying to get out of the way, Geoff  got his large chainring driven into his ankle.

Thankfully the ambulances were on the scene within five minutes, and as ever Geoff kept a brave face - even though he was by this time in extreme pain.

The rest of the ride was a bit of an anticlimax. Purly because of what happened to Geoff, he's a "real brick". Geoff's not the fastest rider but he never gives up - and will allways put others before himself. If you're struggling he'll be there lift spirits enough to get you home.

The ride from a cycling point is a joy, minimal use of busy roads. Thank you George and team - you did a grand job.

I later learnt that Geoff had been detained over-night in hospital, for (I believe) some exploritory work today Monday 16th.

NB, the incident details concerning Geoff have been kept as general as possible - and as witnessed first hand, I do not wish to prejudice any procedings that may arise by publishing any knee-jerk reaction.

I wish Geoff a speedy recovery, and welcome any news on his progress. And apolagise if he spells his name Jeff.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #40 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:28:07 pm »
I heard about that at the finish but didn't like to mention it as I had only 3rd hand details. Please pass on all our best wishes for a speedy recovery if you have the opportunity to make contact with Geoff.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #41 on: 17 June, 2008, 03:14:55 am »
Geoff Claver from Tamworth suffered a horrific injury.

Marmitegeoff of this parish!  Bugger, that'll put a dint in his next RRTY.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:09:42 am »
Was anyone involved in the pile-up with the 2nd group of 150 riders?

300 riders ? Not bad for a hilly Audax ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #43 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:19:17 am »
Well yes there were 300ish starters from 361 entrants (across 2x108km, 150km & 202km events) but harvey meant the second group on the 150km event.

« Reply #44 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:13:18 pm »

I later learnt that Geoff had been detained over-night in hospital, for (I believe) some exploritory work today Monday 16th.

I wish Geoff a speedy recovery, and welcome any news on his progress. And apolagise if he spells his name Jeff.

Geoff or Jeff I do not mind officially it is Geoffrey, but that is only for head masters use.

I finally got into surgery on Monday afternoon, and discharged at noon today.  I have at least 10 days feet up  :'(  and then take it very easily so it will be a while before I am back on 2 wheels.  Before then I have to clean bits of me off the chainring  :sick:.

I am just glad that this was the 61st consecutive 200 and not the 60th, that would have been a real downer.

Thanks for the good wishes

See you on the road sometime

Geoff  (Jeff)  ;)
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Dave

« Reply #45 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:20:47 pm »
That sounds like a horrible injury. Get well soon.

(Any pics? :D)

annie

« Reply #46 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:22:46 pm »
Get well soon Geoff.  Really sorry to hear about this.

« Reply #47 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:11:16 am »
That sounds like a horrible injury. Get well soon.

(Any pics? :D)

Belive me you really would not want to see any pics   :sick: 

Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #48 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:25:10 pm »

I had a look amongst the 200 starters for the bikes described above but didn't spot any. I think I noticed a red trike in the photos at the HQ though.

I did see a red trike just before the start of the 200, so didn't have chance to say anything ("are you that bloke off the Internet?")

Yes my red trike was in the photos but at the time of the start was still in my white van.  Contrary to popular opinion it was possible to get lost looking for Iknield St.  However after a late start, leaving my water bottles at home, missing an early turn by the church  a road rage incident with a land rover and a puncture I had a nice ride.  Thanks for leaving me some food at the end.

« Reply #49 on: 20 June, 2008, 07:55:14 am »
Photos that were not displayed at the HQ are here.... Picasa Web Albums - Beacon Roads Cycl... - beaconCOTSWOL...

If anybody wants a 7x5" print they can be ordered here... Beacon Roads Cycling Club