Author Topic: 'Dick Turpin's Day Out' 200km perm. in January  (Read 2891 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
'Dick Turpin's Day Out' 200km perm. in January
« on: 21 October, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »
   My latest bright idea: to do my 'Dick Turpin' perm. but maybe as a more sociable ride - anyone interested in joining me? I thought of doing this in January, as the approach to Christmas is getting booked up and its good to have something planned beyond it. Should help shift the Xmas pud and get in 'shape' for the early season events.

Any preferences for dates? 'DTDO' has more control options on a Saturday, but its do-able on a Sunday too, provided you hit Walsham-le-Willows during pub opening hours!

It has been mentioned by Oaky that we should make a pact to do a 200 on 'Marathon Winter' studded tyres; if this winter shapes up like last, that may be a necessity!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: 'Dick Turpin's Day Out' 200km perm. in January
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »
Having failed to conquer Dick Turpin this January, I'm absolutely up for a rematch if I'm free when you're riding it.

I may investigate fitting marathon plusses, though...  :-\
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2010, 08:44:31 pm »
Any preferences for dates?

Well, there's always 1st January  :demon:.  Start the year as I hope to go on?  Any ideas what the control situation would be like?

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »
The pubs are open in Walsham on the 1st January....

I'd be up for this but the only weekend I have free in January is the 15th.
I'm not playing if it's icy, and marathon winters are not for me.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2010, 12:22:59 pm »
The 15th might work quite well for me, too.

Would mean riding 200s on three successive Saturdays, but I suppose that scores start-the-year-as-you-mean-to-go-on points too  :thumbsup:.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2010, 07:58:49 pm »
I'll pencil in the 15th, but delay a final decision until there have been a few more opinions on the matter.
I'm up for a ride on 1st Jan btw, but no, not a randonnneeee!!! There's another of my wizard wheezes coming soon in 'Rides and Touring' too!

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2010, 09:22:42 am »
I confidently predict sub- zero temperatures & plentyful white stuff for January 15th!
Evey time Dick Turpin takes Revenge when I ride the event.

Yesterday it was close to feezing and the chilly wind was tolerable
The Squally hailstone showers were not!

Take lots of hot drinks.
Pray there is hot food in Walsham.

BTW Wallys was closed as the power lines were being replaced.
Shock Horror!!!

I might stay in bed for that one.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2010, 08:32:18 pm »
    Start the next RRTY, Assasin :thumbsup:?

Now, a 200 on the turbo - that would be warm, dry, sheltered and just awful!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »
I  shall still be doing 2 200s a month in jan - so interested. Likely to try to get aride in with Chris S very early in jan - repeating 2009 and THE 2010 experience  -- known by Boab as THAT RIDE.
No idea about UK calendar at the moment tho.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2010, 07:00:14 pm »
    Still a viable ride for me. I need something to motivate me over the next month; only short rides on the mtb with studded tyres this week. I went out for a club run on fixed last Sunday and nobody showed up! There was no ice in S.Essex, [except at fords!] though the temp. was below zero all day and my bidon froze solid in a couple of hours.

Billy Weir

« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2010, 07:18:01 pm »
I have a card in the drawer and, provided the weather is mild, I would be interested in riding.  Is it a good route for fixed wheel?

« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2010, 09:55:33 pm »
I have a card in the drawer and, provided the weather is mild, I would be interested in riding.  Is it a good route for fixed wheel?

I rode it fixed in April. Tomsk must've ridden fixed at least a couple of times. Piece of proverbial. I rode from home and the 240km took me (IIRC) 11 1/2 hours, taking it pretty steady. Benign. S'East Anglia innit. S'all flat.

rob

« Reply #12 on: 05 December, 2010, 04:18:26 pm »

Easy on fixed.   It rolls a bit here and there but I was comfy on 70".   Finished a smidge under 10hrs but didn't stop for very long.

Rob

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 06 December, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »

I rode it fixed in April. Tomsk must've ridden fixed at least a couple of times. Piece of proverbial. I rode from home and the 240km took me (IIRC) 11 1/2 hours, taking it pretty steady. Benign. S'East Anglia innit. S'all flat.

+1 boab, but.... on the return leg there are the hardest hills [ok, by East Anglian standards] including Ballingdon Hill, out of Sudbury [3rd cat climb on Tour of Britain] and Cuckoo Hill, Sible Hedingham which gets steadily steeper then hits you with a windswept treeless plateau! And you may be into the prevailing westerly wind all the way from Debenham!
Done it about 6 times on fixed, though!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »
   I'm still on for this, despite no long rides in the legs recently. Pm/email me if you're still interested and we'll keep an eye on the weather for Saturday. I'm looking at an 08:00 start, which with my current state of [un]fitness might mean a 19:00-20:00 finish. I've entered the Willy Warmer for the following weekend, so more miles are badly needed!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:09:48 pm »
I think I'm going to chicken out on the two-audaxes-is-enough-for-January basis.  Hope those still planning to go have a good time.