Author Topic: 2011 planning  (Read 23770 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
2011 planning
« on: 15 November, 2010, 08:07:42 pm »
OK - I'm bored.

What are we all intending to do next year then?

My first jaunt away will be Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan, if the planning goes well.

I want to cycle 8000 miles.

I'd like to sample French cycling.

A couple of camping trips.

The Dun Run, naturally.

Learn to ride the trike - I have a target to ride it on the April WARTY, but I reckon that's pretty ambitious.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

Re: 2011 planning
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2010, 08:11:04 pm »
Why don't you try and cycle 8760 miles?

Then you'd have averaged 1mph

If you can wait until late 2011 (possibly 2012) then I can combine your French/Camping objectives with a short Camping trip:

Portsmouth -> Caen -> St Malo -> Portsmouth.

I've wanted to do it for a while and it would make a nice Thursday - Monday pootle I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »
Why don't you try and cycle 8760 miles?

Then you'd have averaged 1mph
:P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »
I still want to visit (by bike, in one continuous trip) all the Signalling Centres where my software is running:

Ashford
Upminster
Liverpoo Street
Marylebone
Slough
Didcot
Swindon
Merseyrail (nr Sandhills)
Yoker (north Glasgow)
Edinburgh
Newcastle
York

and then back home.  Ferries allowed, but no motorised road or rail transport.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2010, 08:30:42 pm »
No tour again next year. Another 10% pay cut on the way.

corshamjim

« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2010, 08:53:44 pm »
FAIL:- I'm hoping to do a coast-coast.  Not sure which one yet, probably Ilfracombe - Plymouth at an easy pace with Claire & friend driving support vehicle.

FAIL:- And two or three sportives, but choosing the 100 mile or so option rather than 100km this time.

SUCCESS:- I hope do a mini camping trip too as I haven't cycled with a tent for 20 years or so.

SUCCESS:- I might even get to a YACF ride of one sort or another next year, or at least help the lejog baton on it's way sometime.  :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2010, 08:58:04 pm »
A coast to coast with grand daughter on the tandem

gordon taylor

« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:08:26 pm »
I've been rummaging with sweaty hands and a faraway look in my eye through the huge pile of maps at my bedside for the past week, with nothing obvious jumping out. I desperately, desperately want to ride to Istanbul... I have some big gaps to fill in Scandinavia... the USA northern tier is calling and Darwin to Melbourne would be cool. However, following the French coast south and west from Calais to (perhaps) Biarritz for a couple of weeks in August is probably the most feasible.

Ho hum. Dream on, dream on.
My daughter gets married next summer and I've been put on non-negotiable lockdown.

Does Penzance to Dover in the week before Christmas count?
I really am that desperate; OCD on a tourer, that's me.

If my lottery ticket comes up next Wednesday I'll be in Darwin by Saturday.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:12:27 pm »
Two 24 hour TTs and PBP to ride next year, plus qualifying will gobble up most of my holiday from work. I intend to not rush around getting to those rides too, but will ride to them. Asa guess, that'd be at least half my holiday to ride the 3 events and maybe a few more getting to and from PBP qualifiers.
I doubt I'll have enoough time left for a tour, but I'll do some long weekend rides. Riding to and from the events will be as leisurely as possible and I intend to take PBP as easy as I can get away with.
I might have a week spare to do a quick tour.
I should start the year coming home from my Christmas/New Year tour, which will probably be mountain biking (as well as riding it on roads) in the North York Moors. I'll probably finish the year with a Christmas/New Year tour too. If I have any money and holiday from work left by then, I might even go somewhere warm like the Algarve.

I tried riding a trike once. I wasn't too bad until I got to an adverse camber and couldn't get around the bend after several attempts, so didn't bother anymore.
My dad bought a new trike and rode it straight home from the shop and never seemed to have any trouble switching from fixed wheel bike, to geared bike, to trike to tandem trike as well as from car to motorbike. Sometimes almost all of those in the same day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:18:33 pm »
OK, next year I'm aiming for 10,000km (but hoping for more).  I want to have an average of over 20kph.  I want to ride every day of the year, without exceptions.

I want to try touring on three-speed fixed.  I want to try a TT on three-speed fixed and another on the Woodrup.

I want to go to York and Mildenhall.  

I want to do at least one cycle tour.

I want to go cycle camping more weekends.

I want to watch TGL at the track league at Herne Hill.

I want to ride in Yorkshire more.

I want to do a 100k audax.

I also want to do at least one FNRttC
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:21:02 pm »
What's a " three speed fixed"?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:24:08 pm »
Sturmey Archer luvliness.

And cheating. ;)

Forgot: Want to do the Tweed Run.  And the veteran car run too :)

And Dun Run! :D
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:24:57 pm »
What's a " three speed fixed"?

It's a travesty!
That's what it is. :P ;)

A fixed wheeler with hub gears.

« Reply #13 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:38:31 pm »
Three week tour of Denmark north Germany hopefully.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:40:58 pm »
First up, I want this knee up to doing >100km rides without pain.

Assuming that's sorted by a winter of not being able to ride and taking care not to b0rk it in some other way, rather than months of expensive physio or similar, in no particular order...

I'd quite like to do an end-to-end.  LEJOG, mostly camping, possibly an east coast route.  Spring is allergy season, early summer is tourist season, late summer is midge season, so there's no obviously good time to do it.  It will realistically have to wait until I've done some other serious riding to stress-test the knee, and worked out some equipment niggles though.

Dun run, obviously, and as many FNRtWherever as possible.  My cycling was far too diurnal this year.

Must get to more seaside towns beginning with W, possibly as part of the above.

Exmouth Exodus.  On the 'bent, because the road surfaces absolutely wrecked my wrists last time.  Preferably without DNFing by proxy.  Certainly without a tour of the former public toilets of Taunton.

Barakta's mum's from here.  Because she thinks everything south of Stoke-on-Trent is a Really Long Way To Drive.  Once I'm there, it would be a shame not to give the Snake Pass a go.

I believe more Nerdery in North Wales is required.  ;)

Assorted forum rides etc as and when.

I'd like to improve on this year's total mileage (preferably more than 4000) and suture count (preferably zero).

I'd also like to see Barakta on a properly appropriate n+1, with a view to weaning her into WARTY-esque mileages by the end of the year.

And continue to resist the temptation of Audax.  Or not.  Maybe.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2010, 10:27:14 pm »
Although I haven't got most of this year's mileage entered on bike journal (which I must get round to adding), I've a feeling I've done a bit less than last year.

So next year, the big plan is to do more mileage.

I'm planning a fast-ish Durness to Dover charity ride which is now earmarked for the middle of June.  The chap I'm doing it with is mainly a commuter, so plenty of scope for training rides before hand, to get him toughened up.

I'm glad Roger's posted his intention to do more Oxford night rides to the Smoke, as it's a 45 mile ride to the start for me, so that forces me to bump up the mileage.

The usual FNRttC rides.  I may indulge and do more than the 1 Southend which I ration myself to.

Running the round M25 route again at the end of June, and this time I'll try and get more than 3 of us in 1 go to actually finish.  I may also run the southern section as a ride in the spring, as it's a nice route.

I've got mixed feelings about the Dun Run.  I've done it 3 or 4 times and it just seems it's getting a bit too much hassle with the vast numbers now doing it, plus the complications of getting back.  I did enjoy doing the route later on as a night ride leaving at midnight though.  That might have possibilities.

Doing a York to Luton.  Tried it in 2009, but ran out of time due to leaving late and going round in circles due to poor maps.

Do some more WARTY's.

I haven't done any sportives this year, whilst in 2009 I did one and an audax, so I'll look at doing a few of one or other of those.

Get a GPS to assist with some of the issues mentioned above, which will also force me to get out more to use it.  A win/win situation.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2010, 10:40:05 pm »
First up, I want this knee up to doing >100km rides without pain.
That would be useful!
Dun run, obviously, and as many FNRtWherever as possible.  My cycling was far too diurnal this year.
I can't Dun Run this year :(  Even setting aside The Fear that London gives me, it's a Cub's birthday and I would be in trouble if I did.  Lots on FNRs would be good.  I'd like to do a 'proper' southern FNRttC, but may need to find someone prepared to take me on a tandem because of The (aforementioned) Fear.
Assorted forum rides etc as and when.
Indeed.  A plenty of that sounds good.
I'd also like to see Barakta on a properly appropriate n+1, with a view to weaning her into WARTY-esque mileages by the end of the year.
OK, so I want to go Warty-ing with Barakta :)
And continue to resist the temptation of Audax.  Or not.  Maybe.
Madwoman!
I might if you might

I'd like to:
- do more miles
- get at least a 3 day camping tour in with EldestCub
- try a trailerbike if SmallestCub's legs grow enough
- get Dearly_Beloved to try camping, even if only for one night
- learn a bit more bike-mending stuff.  Valencia won't be under warranty, and one thing that stops me from going too far from home is knowing that I'm scuppered in the event of even relatively minor mechanicals
- take the Eldest cub on another forum ride somewhere
- ride my bike in Scotland.  Never done that....
- not use a bus to commute from February half term (at the latest) to the Autmn half term (at the earliest)
- do a ride considered 'hilly' by normal people (i.e. not York residents who think that the Millenium Bridge is a challenge, but not necessarily as defined by those nutters Deano and Mr Nesbitt who consider anything without AAA points to be flat  :P) WITHOUT having to walk up any hills.  Or indeed down any.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2010, 12:57:17 am »
I can't Dun Run this year :(  Even setting aside The Fear that London gives me, it's a Cub's birthday and I would be in trouble if I did.

I'll cunningly not suggest The Obvious ;)

I'd like to do a 'proper' southern FNRttC, but may need to find someone prepared to take me on a tandem because of The (aforementioned) Fear.

I recommend Brighton, on the basis that Mr Legg will probably be unenthusiastic about you doing Whitstable, and it's an excellent ride.  There's a whopping great figment of the imagination near the end, but it's worth it when you get to the top stop dreaming, and the bulk of the ride is fairly flat.  Saarfend is 90% like riding in That London, and Bognor is nonspecifically lumpy.

I'd say something about the traffic in That London being a lot less scary than it looks (as opposed to, for example, the traffic in Middle Earth, which is much scarier than it looks), but we've discussed this before.  Either way, night ride conditions probably aren't an optimal time to get used to it (though being in a big group of cyclists invariably helps).

- learn a bit more bike-mending stuff.  Valencia won't be under warranty, and one thing that stops me from going too far from home is knowing that I'm scuppered in the event of even relatively minor mechanicals

Good plan.  Things like being able to replace cables, remove a chain link or the various methods of dealing with spoke failure aren't especially difficult to learn, and cover the vast majority of things that can go wrong on the road.  And you don't even have to be especially good at them, either - just ready to do it again 5 miles down the road.

- do a ride considered 'hilly' by normal people (i.e. not York residents who think that the Millenium Bridge is a challenge, but not necessarily as defined by those nutters Deano and Mr Nesbitt who consider anything without AAA points to be flat  :P) WITHOUT having to walk up any hills.  Or indeed down any.

Care to join me for some North Wales Nerdery, then?  :D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2010, 02:00:21 am »
Possibly do the ride to the smoke as a DIY200.

Also do more riding.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #19 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:04:12 am »
Mrs JT and I will be doing a three night camping tour in Suffolk at some stage. I'd also like to do a few S240s but that's more about camping than cycling (for me anyway).

Would also like to do another short tour such as (train to) York and ride through the Lincolnshire Wolds back to Peterborough in 3 days.

A couple more FNRttCs inc. the Martlets ride.

I'm planning a tandem ride for our CTC club in the spring as we have a few round 'ere. That will also hopefully involve a local Sense House who have three tandems available for taking out their deafblind clients. YACF tandem crews (and solos) would be most welcome to join us (Peterborough's easy to get to).
a great mind thinks alike

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #20 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:14:47 am »
Sense House?
What's that?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:37:14 am »
Sense is the charity for deafblind people.  I see they have supported housing in Peterborough.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #22 on: 16 November, 2010, 09:24:27 am »
The plan:
Lots of Audaxing, possibly including one across the Channel.

If the above permits (in no particular order):
* DunRun
* DumbRun
* Tweed Run
* at least one WARTY
* a few FNRttC
* at least one FNRttS
* the M25 ride

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 16 November, 2010, 09:42:26 am »
Head south-west mid/end April.
When I run out of land head north.
Arrive home sometime in August.

Do as many night rides as possible.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #24 on: 16 November, 2010, 09:43:32 am »
Hmmm.....next year I wanna:

Do more miles. I'm aiming for 4000 this year (not done yet but not THAT far to go) so next year I'll aim for more - 5000?
Do the Dun Run (there is a group called Team Slow, right?).
Get out more round the local area.
Do some more forum rides (it's only laziness, and NXEA, wrt getting to the starts on the train that's prevented more WARTY attendance).
Try again with my aim to do more bike miles than car (passenger) miles - don't think I'm going to get there this year but I'm not far off so it IS doable.
Get my big commute up to five days a week through the summer (April-October).
Get my big communte up to two/three days a week through the winter (November-March). This plan is dependant on the Weather Goddess keeping the ice off the roads for a bit longer than she had managed this year, again!
Investigate road bikes, with a view to buying one.
Investigate clipless pedals, with a view to giving the people in A&E something to do.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical