Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 62432 times)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #625 on: July 03, 2018, 06:11:08 pm »
I don't notice anything being slow at 70ish Mb/s – Netflix streams 4k without dropping a frame, webpages appear without pause (and when they don't, I expect the restriction is server-side). Even my epic bouts of thought leadership presenteering (and I laugh at presentations smaller than a 100MB) upload to the server quite quickly (and it's not really a process that I benefit from watching). Dropbox and Creative Cloud syncs just happen, I've never noticed a significant delay. There might be some benefit if I was pushing HD video to the server, but it most production quality static graphics which rarely top several MB.

Plus, tbh, I doubt my wifi is really running at 70Mb/s anyway. I think the powerline adaptors run at about 150 Mb/s.
!nataS pihsroW

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
The Openreach engineer also tried to investigate the new cabinet that has been installed about 200m from our home to see if it is online yet. He couldn't even open it! But a call to the control centre managed to ascertain that it is not yet online. No indication of when it will be operational - it was installed before Christmas, so god knows what they are waiting for.

Oh well, we've been waiting for a decent internet connection for so long that another few months won't make much difference. Very frustrating though.

I just uploaded a big bunch of pictures to a shared Google drive and since they're all in the order of 4MB each, I was expecting it to take several hours. In fact, it took a few seconds... WTAF?

So I did a speed test and while our download speed is unchanged, upload speed has jumped to around 8Mbps - previously we've been getting 0.5Mbps on a good day, and we don't get many good days.

I have a feeling this means the new cabinet is now online. Yay!

Now we just need to get Sky to tweak our account so we can take advantage of the faster download speeds as well, and before long, who knows? Our internet connection might even begin to resemble something belonging to the 21st century.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:46 am »
Did another speed test this morning - looks like our connection is already taking advantage of the new fibrous goodness...

This is nothing short of life-changing - seriously, because as I may have mentioned, I work from home and rely on my internet connection for communication and sharing of files.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:22 am »
Anyway, that's a red herring.  Once you've got enough downstream for n video streams, the main reason people are likely to need faster broadband is because the upstream speeds are stingy on most technologies, and they're wanting to do something upload-intensive (eg. cloud storage, offsite backups, publishing media).

Or they work with a lazy designer who refuses to spend a little bit of time resizing 250MB+ Photoshop files to a perfectly serviceable cropped, flattened, downsampled jpeg of 10-15MB.  :facepalm:

« Reply #629 on: August 08, 2018, 10:34:40 am »
But that's Sod's Law isn't it.

If you just want a downsampled jpeg of 10-15MB you'll get the 250MB+ Photoshop file.

If you need the original 250MB+ Photoshop file they'll send you a downsampled jpeg and then set their out of office...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2018, 10:50:10 am »
If you need the original 250MB+ Photoshop file they'll send you a downsampled jpeg and then set their out of office...

I can't imagine the circumstances when I am likely to need the original 250MB Photoshop file. In any case, if I did, it should exist somewhere else on our shared Drive, in an archive folder, not in the live project folder that I need to have synced to my desktop.

(I need to have it synced because when creating press PDFs from Indesign files, it's best to have the linked high-res images stored locally, otherwise you have to download them ad hoc, which just slows down the process. And it's not just the internet connection that makes those file sizes a problem - my work computer doesn't have unlimited memory...)

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #631 on: October 08, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »
Email from ISP today...

Great news! We're upgrading our network, area by area, to bring you Fibre Max with faster average speeds of 63Mbps at no extra monthly cost.

What happens next?

These upgrades start in December and run through to spring. During this time, you will be moved automatically from Fibre Unlimited with an average download speed of 36Mbps, to Fibre Max with an average speed of 63Mbps. That's 75% faster and you don't need to do anything.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It'll almost be like living in the 21st century.

Phil W

« Reply #632 on: October 08, 2018, 08:11:28 pm »
Currently at 50 downstream and 20 upstream.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #633 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:33 pm »
There's now a forest of green boxes at the bottom of our road – possibly the newest one is related to direct fibre which is apparently on offer. I feel I should avail myself of it (because I don't pay the bills) but I'm hard pressed to know what I'd do with an upgrade on the 60-70Mbps I get via Infinity 2. Am I missing something?
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #634 on: October 08, 2018, 10:09:33 pm »
There's now a forest of green boxes at the bottom of our road – possibly the newest one is related to direct fibre which is apparently on offer. I feel I should avail myself of it (because I don't pay the bills) but I'm hard pressed to know what I'd do with an upgrade on the 60-70Mbps I get via Infinity 2. Am I missing something?

You're missing several more people in the house who all want to watch different 4K Netflix streams simultaneously (each 4K stream is about 25Mbps).

A faster upload speed is more important for me with some of my work. I'd rather have 50/50 than 80/20.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #635 on: May 09, 2019, 08:48:26 pm »
We've just upgraded to fibre: 36Mbps DL / 9.5Mbps UL.  We were on ~8Mbps / 0.8Mbps, for more money, and wifi that didn't reach to all rooms in aoxon towers.  Nice to have reasonable UL speed now, though DL speed was only really an issue when 3 devices were streaming at once.
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

« Reply #636 on: May 18, 2019, 08:15:49 pm »
The joys of the bit of copper in a linear village. Afternoons it’s 55/30, evenings it’s 30/13!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #637 on: June 15, 2019, 03:38:39 pm »
We are3 on that world called frustration.

We are to be FTTP "soon" or so we were told last year, then this year with the poles festooned in coils of fibre it came to light that the cable still had to be installed between us and the cabinet some 2 miles away on the other side of a pretty steep hill.

Cable is now installed and still nothing is happening. *silent scream* Even our MP cannot get answers from BT. What a bloody way to run a company and then to add insult to injury it seems we have to contract to them for a year initially if we want the fibre. Monopoly or what? TBH thought this sort of crap was now illegal.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.