Author Topic: UK's longest climb?  (Read 20691 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: UK's longest climb?
« Reply #50 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:58:18 pm »

There's a slight drop (apparently) inbetween the chevrons on the hairpin bends (according to OS).  Otherwise it tallies with yours, almost 10% over 3.6km with some OUCH ! "gnarly" bends.
I don't think so, though it's a few years since I've ridden it. The cattle grid is a bit of a b*gger in wet weather.  If you want a real climb the 'other' toll road is the one.

This just illustrates the problems with the data, gradient calculations etc. Bikehike puts the drop Lee mentions somewhere along here: Streetview

... which clearly is all uphill (as long as you stay on the tarmac, anyway)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #51 on: 24 November, 2010, 03:16:19 pm »
I'd be more interested to find the longest climb with an average gradient of >n%
So, where are the long climbs over, say, 7% ?

There are a few on Exmoor that may well qualify.  Both Porlock Hill and Dunkery Beacon are about 4kms long and average about 10%.  However it must be said that Dunkery (thankfully) has an easy bit in the middle.  I've not done Porlock so can't comment on that one.
For Porlock, the "best" I can get bikehike to give me is:
Dist: 3.69km
Total Ascent:    359    m    
Total Descent:    4    m    
Start Elevation:    42    m    
End Elevation:    399    m

So a pretty genuine claim from the scampster: 357m/3.69km   [I can't see a 4m drop on the OS map, so I'm prepared to consider it an 'artifact' :) ]

(The toll road that avoids the chevrons is almost a better long 'un, but has a few slight descents in it.)

The toll road is 456 metres ascent, 79 metres descent in 6.7km

The pain and insanity of riding in Devon* is not the continuous ascents.  They are the good bit.  It's the continuous short sharp ascent followed by the swift dirty descent repeating for hours on end.  That's why I love riding in Wales.  You ride up, gently and then ascend... for quite a long time.  It's excellent

* yes I know that Pocklock Hill is Somerset

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 24 November, 2010, 06:43:01 pm »
The pain and insanity of riding in Devon* is not the continuous ascents.  They are the good bit.  It's the continuous short sharp ascent followed by the swift dirty descent repeating for hours on end.  That's why I love riding in Wales.  You ride up, gently and then ascend... for quite a long time.  It's excellent

Like this
Google Maps
?      ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #53 on: 24 November, 2010, 06:50:40 pm »
Long Hill is well named (travelling S from Whaley Bridge).  That's about 7 miles I believe - but once again spoiled by about 200m of flat at one point.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #54 on: 24 November, 2010, 07:59:57 pm »
Holme Moss, Snake Pass - both average about 9% for over 3km.

Snake Pass tops out at 512metres.  

9% would mean 270m gain over 3km.  I don't see any gains over 7% in 3km.

Whoops, I didn't actually check Snake Pass - it's a harder climb than holme moss, so I assumed it had to be at least as steep.

Holme Moss has a 2km section at 10% and it looks pretty tough for 2km before there as well.  Appears much tougher than Snake Pass on my OS Digital Maps.

I'd have to agree with this in terms of severity.  I live near Cragg Vale (strictly speaking the climb does not enter Cragg Vale itself but goes straight up the Turvin Road) Holme Moss and Snake Pass.  "Cragg Vale" and The Snake are long but that is all that is remarkable about them (except the scenery which is (ahem) topping) but whichever side you do Holme Moss from it is  a far more serious undertaking, even on 32 x 26.   I can still do it (I retire at Christmas), but I know I've done it!

« Reply #55 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »
http://tinyurl.com/6cw6d will give you an average gradient for the whole climb. For England the longest passes over 7% look like Dunkery Beacon as mentioned above and the kirkstone Pass (although from Ambleside there is a dip before the struggle), both ~ 5km. As mentioned, Great Dun Fell goes on for 9km with a 7.7% averae. In Wales one way up the Tumble comes out at ~ 6km at 7.2%, and in Scotland the Bealach na ba is over 9km, but just outside your criteria at 6.9%.

« Reply #56 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:04:08 pm »
From Dundonnell at the end of Little Loch Broom there's an up-hill climb SW on the A832 of around 9 miles.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #57 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:17:59 pm »
From Dundonnell at the end of Little Loch Broom there's an up-hill climb SW on the A832 of around 9 miles.

Yes - I'd forgotten that and I've been up it too, but sadly in a car.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #58 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »
The climb from Keldholme to The Lion in along Blakey Ridge is 10.5 miles long, but defeated from joining this illustrious company by the dip in Hutton-le-Hole and the couple of dips just before the summit.  It's a shame the dips don't actually give you anything back.
s.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #59 on: 24 November, 2010, 11:17:03 pm »
Long Hill is well named (travelling S from Whaley Bridge).  That's about 7 miles I believe - but once again spoiled by about 200m of flat at one point.
Did that for the first time in 30 years a couple of weeks ago.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #60 on: 25 November, 2010, 10:41:54 am »
8.13 miles
1391 ft ascent
105 ft descent (of which part is definitely error, and part is definitely rea)

lf you take the latter part where there is no downhill then it is about 1000 feet ascent in 3.5 miles.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #61 on: 25 November, 2010, 10:44:07 am »

Like this
Google Maps
?      ;)

Heh, that bit is Wales but near Devon as the crow flies

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #62 on: 26 November, 2010, 02:48:50 pm »
If you have (say) an uphill climb of two miles with a flat and/or very slight downhill bit half way, does this still count as a two mile climb or two one mile climbs? ???

If not, then surely the longest climb is from the furthest bit of coast from the highest point inland ..... ? ;D
Old enough to know better!

LEE

« Reply #63 on: 26 November, 2010, 02:51:52 pm »
If you have (say) an uphill climb of two miles with a flat and/or very slight downhill bit half way, does this still count as a two mile climb or two one mile climbs? ???

If not, then surely the longest climb is from the furthest bit of coast from the highest point inland ..... ? ;D

If the overall average is >7% (using my criteria above) then yes because, if it were >7% including downhills, it would mean some tough uphills.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #64 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:00:10 pm »

There's a slight drop (apparently) inbetween the chevrons on the hairpin bends (according to OS).  Otherwise it tallies with yours, almost 10% over 3.6km with some OUCH ! "gnarly" bends.

I don't think so, though it's a few years since I've ridden it. The cattle grid is a bit of a b*gger in wet weather.  If you want a real climb the 'other' toll road is the one.

If I remember correctly - the left hand side of the switch back left bend on Porlock Hill (A39 climb) is pratically vertical. I'd need to be cycling on the right hand side to get up that one, whatever gear I was in. That road is only worth trying very early in the morning or at night I reckon.  If you had to stop you could get into all kinds of problems with traffic.

I've only ever driven up it - I think I'd take the toll road if I had to ride. Still a challenge but with stunning scenary.
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #65 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:08:27 pm »

There's a slight drop (apparently) inbetween the chevrons on the hairpin bends (according to OS).  Otherwise it tallies with yours, almost 10% over 3.6km with some OUCH ! "gnarly" bends.

If I remember correctly - the left hand side of the switch back left bend on Porlock Hill (A39 climb) is pratically vertical. I'd need to be cycling on the right hand side to get up that one, whatever gear I was in. That road is only worth trying very early in the morning or at night I reckon.  If you had to stop you could get into all kinds of problems with traffic.

I've only ever driven up it - I think I'd take the toll road if I had to ride. Still a challenge but with stunning scenary.

Average 6.3% over 6.6km.  That seems like a long climb to me.

LEE

« Reply #66 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:16:27 pm »
Long Hill is well named (travelling S from Whaley Bridge).  That's about 7 miles I believe - but once again spoiled by about 200m of flat at one point.
Did that for the first time in 30 years a couple of weeks ago.

Only 4% average (I know it well.  We used to turn off out engines (in our BT vans) and coast all the way down).

« Reply #67 on: 28 November, 2010, 09:22:54 pm »
Yeah, we used to turn off our legs and do the same...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 28 November, 2010, 09:30:07 pm »
Ooh, that one's on a reasonable route to barakta's mum's place.  I'll add that to my list.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #69 on: 29 November, 2010, 02:32:44 pm »

if it isn't ascending, it's not a climb.

No place in the UK more than 72 miles from the sea.