Author Topic: AUK PBP jersey  (Read 27408 times)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
AUK PBP jersey
« on: 01 December, 2010, 08:45:47 pm »
Is there an AUK cycling top for PBP 2011? I notice most other countries seem to have one. I know you can get the official French one, but surely there would be a market for an AUK one? In the USA for example they have a competition to design it and the winner gets a free one.

Just an idea. Maybe it's been tried before and no-one wanted one.
Mojo is being awakened.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: AUK PBP jersey
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2010, 08:48:58 pm »
The Aussies also have PBP jersey competition. Before the last PBP, the AUK PBP jersey was shown at the AGM. Apparently not this AGM though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »
I think Pam Pilbeam has been mounting a personal campaign to clear her spare room of AUK clothing. If you are volunteering to organise one, there'd probably be a lot of interest.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2010, 08:56:15 pm »
Recent AUK gear design is based loosely on what I call "Luminous Ibiza Rave Techno Vomit".

I'd be looking for something more tasteful/classic  (basic colours, chainwheel logo, chevrons on the rear?)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:23:09 am »
The latest gear is actually a bit better. It is the previous gear that was techno-vomit.

See here:

http://www.impsport.com/productlist.asp?SearchString=audax&btn_search.x=0&btn_search.y=0
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:38:58 am »
Thank goodness we've gone back to a design obviously based on the original jerseys made by Mrs Margaret Hopper.   The psychodelic designs were awfull!

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:46:40 am »
The latest gear is actually a bit better. It is the previous gear that was techno-vomit.

It was the non-PBP gear that was techno-vomit aka Jackson Pollock; I was assured that there would be a red white and blue alternative to whatever hideous colours were intially unveiled, only to find out when it was delivered that it was red white and blue techno-vomit (which I still quite like) although apparently we are supposed to wear "away colours" in France.

there's certainly a market and they have always done one up to now; in fact thinking about it I'm surprised there wasn't anything unveiled at last week's AGM. Maybe doing them through Impsport changes things?

and these were AUK's 2007 offerings;

the caption at the time was "oh dear Kate Moss has rather let herself go"

(I went for the French version)

did this (possibly intentional) typo make its way to the production versions?

« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:59:33 am »
Recent AUK gear design is based loosely on what I call "Luminous Ibiza Rave Techno Vomit".

I'd be looking for something more tasteful/classic  (basic colours, chainwheel logo, chevrons on the rear?)

This and the other comments are probably why those responsible for previous shirts didn't bother this time. Radical transparency has its costs, inhibiting action is one of them.
My favourite shirt of recent years was the Western Australia LEL offering.

If a shirt was made which featured something based on the Tudor Royal Standard, which lays claim to France by England, I might be tempted.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:03:31 am »
Why don't we just start a yacf competition and ask the committee if they like our option?
Chief cat entertainer.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:04:46 am »
^ this.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:12:22 am »
Why don't we just start a yacf competition and ask the committee if they like our option?

How many pages has the reflective jacket thread got to?
It would be even nicer if the committee got one each as a gift and there was some appreciation for Pam for all her efforts.

Bairn Again

« Reply #11 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:41:08 am »
An Audax Ecosse 2011 PBP top is currently under development. 

I can exclusively reveal that it definitely wont feature the Tudor Royal Standard. 

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:09:44 am »
Is there an AUK cycling top for PBP 2011? I notice most other countries seem to have one. I know you can get the official French one, but surely there would be a market for an AUK one? In the USA for example they have a competition to design it and the winner gets a free one.

Just an idea. Maybe it's been tried before and no-one wanted one.

Last time there was a PBP / AUK jersey.  I believe the reason it turned out as it did was

1) it must be easy to spot among the other jerseys, so the purple "vomit" design was born
2) the "vomit" design was so unpopular that they made a red/while/blue of the same pattern

There is some talk of a YACF PBP jersey ==> Login

In 2007 it was so wet and 'orrible that a jersey wasn't the best way to spot anyone as they were mostly under Goretex

This time as hi viz is compulsory all the time, an AUK branded hi viz would be best for spotting other
UK riders.

If a YACF or AUK jersey was available I would only buy it if it looked good.  The official French PBP jerseys seem to be always nice to look at and cheap, so this is the default option.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:12:03 am »
The official French PBP jerseys seem to be always nice to look at and cheap, so this is the default option.

and easy to sell on if you DNF...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:19:27 am »
Thank goodness we've gone back to a design obviously based on the original jerseys made by Mrs Margaret Hopper.

Just for the record, Margaret's jerseys were a copy (using better materials and workmanship) of a previous design - so not 'the original'.
Prized now, rather like flawed stamps, some very rare early tops had 'Audax GB' printed on them.

BTW the next committee meeting is late February, and the one after that would be too late - even using late Feb as a deadline you then wouldn't get them into Arrivee before mid-May.  As long as no AUK funding is required, I'd suggest committee approval of a design probably isn't necessary - just keep them informed as a courtesy, is all.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:29:12 am »
In 2007 it was so wet and 'orrible that a jersey wasn't the best way to spot anyone as they were mostly under Goretex

This time as hi viz is compulsory all the time, an AUK branded hi viz would be best for spotting other
UK riders.
There's only 1 viable option:
an AUK pattern filter for our rear lights.

(I was thinking of US military style stencil-effect )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:32:39 am »
UK riders.

I'll be taking my LEL 09 jersey (day 1/2), orange YACF jersey (day 3), official 2011 PBP jersey (day 4)

Covered with an Audax UK branded EN-blah compliant hi-viz waistcoat when required (they aren't compulsory 'all the time' though...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #17 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:47:36 am »
An Audax Ecosse 2011 PBP top is currently under development.  

I can exclusively reveal that it definitely wont feature the Tudor Royal Standard.  

You've got your own Royal Standard, as featured below your name. We English can flaunt our claims to France if we want, and the Tudors were Welsh.
I might go with a personal design, three Snagglepusses Rampant, A Fleur de Lys element and a video camera. Below the pockets it will have Red and Gold Chevrons and the legend, Exit Stage Right, to take account of the changed road priorities.
Edit, If I do the Three Coasts I might add 'Heavens to Mytholmroyd'.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4qFxTTi8q0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/k4qFxTTi8q0&rel=1</a>

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »
UK riders.

I'll be taking my LEL 09 jersey (day 1/2), orange YACF jersey (day 3), official 2011 PBP jersey (day 4)

Covered with an Audax UK branded EN-blah compliant hi-viz waistcoat when required (they aren't compulsory 'all the time' though...)

Tempted to change into official PBP Jersey with 10km left to go.  I don't want to tempt fate.

Before that it will be an assortment of YACF jerseys.

« Reply #19 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:16:25 pm »
Tempted to change into official PBP Jersey with 10km left to go.  I don't want to tempt fate.

I kept my LEL jersey until the final day (it was in my Thorne bag drop, so 280km left to do) for similar reasons.

« Reply #20 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:16:56 pm »
I'd definitely go for one with a heraldic feel, largely inspired by this video of Tenpole Tudor, is that a relative of Matt C in the glasses?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf5rHb2aErk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf5rHb2aErk&rel=1</a>

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #21 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:31:49 pm »
Owayo is the best site I've seen so far for designing your own jerseys.

Redirect Notice

^ link to Owayo. 
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:32:52 pm »

I kept my LEL jersey until the final day (it was in my Thorne bag drop, so 280km left to do) for similar reasons.
I wouldn't worry; the (limited) stats I have on the '07 ride suggest that wearing the thing actually protects you from DNF.

(and as discussed before, it's absurd to apply this logic to an item that you can only purchase before the ride. It's not a "finishers" jersey. I really liked the esprit-de-corps created by those wearing LEL09 shirts on LEL09.)

I'd definitely go for one with a heraldic feel, largely inspired by this video of Tenpole Tudor, is that a relative of Matt C in the glasses?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf5rHb2aErk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf5rHb2aErk&rel=1</a>
He's got a great grimace, hasn't he? that's probably my favourite 1-hit-wonder, thanks Damon. I can do a (very simple) impression of the singer performing on TOTP if it helps.

That video has stirred up visions: we need chainmail-effect gilets to put the heraldry on - I can see us now, galloping into a control en masse, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends!"

(polished chainmail must be EN941314159 compliant)

Who wants to run behind me bashing coconut shells together?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #23 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:44:27 pm »
What's all this talk of having multiple jerseys? It's only 90 hours, I was just going to wear one all the way through (with a change for wet weather, as a concession).  :facepalm:

Glad to hear there's an Audax Ecosse one in the works.

« Reply #24 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:46:50 pm »
What's all this talk of having multiple jerseys? It's only 90 hours, I was just going to wear one all the way through (with a change for wet weather, as a concession).  :facepalm:

There's a bagdrop on PBP2011, may as well use it for something other than a stock of spares.