Author Topic: Being barged  (Read 19438 times)

Re: Being barged
« Reply #125 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:45:23 pm »
I'm most chuffed about her overtake filmed today being absolutely exemplary.  Admittedly her resolve wasn't tested very much with a clear road and an easy overtake, but I'd like to think the camera episode from yesterday had an improving effect.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #126 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »
>This cyclist was pretty fast, as fast as the rest of the traffic, so can, should and usually would, be treated just like a car driver

Indeedy !  - or even more akin to a motorcyclist...
(plus all the rest)

I generally agree with the points re winding up drivers, but the problem's ignorance/prejudice - the only way you'd keep some people happy is to not be on the road at all.
Other thing to add re filtering - it's a long queue, there *will* be a gap somewhere - probably better seen by the rider than on the cam. - and in any case, you only need enough to tuck the bike into to avoid oncoming traffic (ditto if I were on a motorcycle). Plus by the time you allow for general driver doziness on pulling away, any gap that's there gets bigger as the traffic ahead starts moving. If you like, if you do push into a gap, you can always wave a 'thanks' after you've pulled across if you feel you're taking the mick. Taken to extremes - if you're not prepared to filter in significantly stationary traffic - then you may as well get in a box with the rest of 'em... ;D

I should add that it doesn't mean I'll filter every last place in a traffic queue, it depends on the situation on - but drivers have to recognise that overtaking works both ways, it just needs to be done safely.

« Reply #127 on: 15 December, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »
>I should add that it doesn't mean I'll filter every last place in a traffic queue, it depends on the situation on - but drivers have to recognise that overtaking works both ways, it just needs to be done safely.

Oops - that sounded overly stroppy  ;) - should have been two separate sentences.. perhaps better as:
'I don't always filter every last place, it depends on queue length, likelyhood of traffic turning off, etc, probability of showing traff clean heels, etc, size of gap to filter into/proximity to stop line.'
 and separately,
'Overtaking/filtering works both ways'