Author Topic: Albums with no dodgy tracks on them.  (Read 18030 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Albums with no dodgy tracks on them.
« Reply #100 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »
Also late to the feast, but has anyone upped the ante with a DOUBLE album? Would have to be The River.
"Live After Death" by Iron Maiden - not sure if it was ever released on vinyl, but the copy I have here is a double CD. It's also one of the best live albums ever released in any genre, at least IMO.

For bog-standard single albums without duff tracks, I'd nominate "Reign in Blood" by Slayer and Orbital's "Brown Album". My tastes are nothing if not diverse[1]  :)

[1] - The more you listen to my music collection, diverse it gets ...

[EDIT: Forgot to add "76:14" by Global Communication - the ambient album for people who claim they don't like ambient music]

Clandy

« Reply #101 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »
Double album? For me that would be Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

« Reply #102 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »
Double album? For me that would be Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

Alchemy Live - Dire Straits

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #103 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »
Double album?  Curiously, I'd choose two live ones.  Has to be Snaz and Live & Dangerous.

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #104 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:10:06 pm »
Couple more single albums:

Sneakin' Suspicion - Dr Feelgood

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark - Robert Cray
Getting there...

« Reply #105 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:37:26 pm »
On the single album deal, I'd lob Grateful Dead's American Beauty into the mix

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #106 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:41:31 pm »

For bog-standard single albums without duff tracks, I'd nominate "Reign in Blood" by Slayer and Orbital's "Brown Album". My tastes are nothing if not diverse[1]  :)

[1] - The more you listen to my music collection, diverse it gets ...

Two corkers indeed (yup, I have both as well).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #107 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:21:23 pm »
Double?

Has to be Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Not one dodgy track on it.
It is simpler than it looks.

border-rider

« Reply #108 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:23:51 pm »

Indeed, not one

;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #109 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:25:05 pm »
Telegraph Road : Dire Straits

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #110 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:59:02 pm »
Double album?

Soft Machine - Third
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #111 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:00:54 am »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #112 on: 05 January, 2011, 07:04:54 am »

Indeed, not one

;)
*ZING!*  ;D
I'd also nominate "Vapour Trails" by Rush were it not for the fact that the production quality is absolutely terrible. The songs themselves are absolute belters, but the sound quality? Eeeech. If you google for "The Loudness War" it's one of the albums that gets mentioned a *lot* ("Death Magnetic" by Metallica also gets mentioned, but since Metallica haven't released a decent album since 1986 ....)

"Presto", by aforementioned Canadian power trio, *is* a top album although I must be one of the few Rush fans who thinks "Moving Pictures" is merely a very good album rather than an unalloyed classic.

mondobongo

« Reply #113 on: 05 January, 2011, 07:22:45 am »
Double Album it has to be 'Live after Death'.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #114 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:37:19 am »
Double Album it has to be 'Live after Death'.
"SCREAM FOR ME, LONG BEACH!"  ;D

'Tis indeed a classic, and I found out that it was originally released on double vinyl and therefore counts (as I mentioned in a previous post, I've got it on CD) - it's Bruce Dickinson's vocals that really do it for me.

« Reply #115 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:12:23 am »
Just listening to Marillion's Misplaced Childhood for the first time in ages. As mentioned upthread, concept albums like this tend to hold together as a whole anyway. I liked it all 20 years ago, I still do.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #116 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:46:18 am »
Just listening to Marillion's Misplaced Childhood for the first time in ages. As mentioned upthread, concept albums like this tend to hold together as a whole anyway. I liked it all 20 years ago, I still do.
Odd - I never thought of it as a concept album. It had two quite big hit singles!

Probably depends on whether you heard the singles on the radio before buying the album.

[I just got a warm old-git glow from the Wiki entry; the Track Listing section has a Side1 and Side2  ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #117 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »
Despite being a major prog-head back then, I never really 'got' Marillion - indeed, I almost remember getting into a fight with a mate at uni after describing them as a poor man's Rush. For me, they're a bit like Genesis - occasional moments of brilliance but a lot of stuff that I either can't get into or just plain don't like. Music's funny like that, innit? :)

Now, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I'm going to nominate the original version of "Tubular Bells" - granted, it's only two tracks and yer average punter will only know of it from "The Omen"(?)  but considering it was a genuinely solo effort, it's an amazing album.

Oh, and pretty much anything by Ozric Tentacles :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #118 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:55:38 pm »
A double?  GY!BE's Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven is the obvious choice.  Hawkwind's The 1999 Party (double live recorded in Chicago in 1974 but not released until 1997) is a good 'un too.  If compilations count then there's Robert Johnson's King Of The Delta Blues Singers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #119 on: 05 January, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »
Hawkwind's The 1999 Party (double live recorded in Chicago in 1974 but not released until 1997) is a good 'un too.
Oooh ... might have to check that out. Been listening to Space Ritual an awful lot lately.

« Reply #120 on: 05 January, 2011, 01:30:00 pm »
On the single album deal, I'd lob Grateful Dead's American Beauty into the mix

uncanny: I saw the thread title,  thought I bet no-one's posted "American Beauty" and clicked in to read this.

+1 then

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #121 on: 05 January, 2011, 04:41:32 pm »
Hawkwind's The 1999 Party (double live recorded in Chicago in 1974 but not released until 1997) is a good 'un too.
Oooh ... might have to check that out. Been listening to Space Ritual an awful lot lately.

Got that'un, ain't bad, loads of Lemmy vocals on it. Going back a few posts, if I was going to pick an album by the Ozrics, it would have to be Pungent Effulgent.

« Reply #122 on: 05 January, 2011, 05:00:33 pm »
Trouble with choosing prog stuff is that if you liked it, almost by definition you liked the whole album. On a more mainstream version, it would be like saying "I like Tommy, but not Fiddle About; the whole thing is a piece.

If I was to try to introduce someone to prog rock, think I'd plump for Nektar, and Remember the Future. (Can be found on Youtube, but the digitisation is cr@p <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2gsAohzi7Pk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2gsAohzi7Pk&rel=1</a> if you don't beleve me about the sound, compare to Part 2 recorded from vinyl on a decent deck <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-gG5FpTviQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/e-gG5FpTviQ&rel=1</a>)

Nightfly

« Reply #123 on: 05 January, 2011, 07:08:40 pm »
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms  :-\?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #124 on: 05 January, 2011, 07:17:28 pm »
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms  :-\?
Stuffed with good tracks, but let down hugely by this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FkC_i6NYOF0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FkC_i6NYOF0&rel=1</a>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles