Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 99887 times)

Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #225 on: 30 January, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »
He was a good lad, full of life & mischief and great company.

Sorry to babble on but I'm in bits.
Don't apologise. Anyone who's been there will understand.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #226 on: 01 February, 2015, 12:36:36 am »
Thanks for all your kind thoughts, I guess you've all been through it and my thoughts are with you. 
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

« Reply #227 on: 20 May, 2015, 05:05:09 pm »
Not my dog but the most famous hound for miles around has died. A wolfhound belonging to the ex landlord of the pub down the road. She was a huge gentle thing. She managed 11 which it seems is old for a wolfhound. Everyone will miss seeing her loping along or hurtling across a field after a rabbit.

RIP Dorcus

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #228 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:54:05 pm »
Sadly we are heading down this road again this time with the wifes Whippet Harvey who is suffering from his back and Cushings disease and we no longer can control his discomfort so it's the one way trip tomorrow. Bloody dreading it. And that will leave our pup of 8 months with no buddy and he has never been alone.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #229 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:14:01 pm »
Oh dear  :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #230 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:28:46 am »
Our guinea pig died.  :'( She was obviously suffering and the vet said it was a brain tumour so we took the decision to have her put to sleep – but I still felt like a nazi carelessly throwing people into the gas chambers.  :( But I don't suppose gas chamber kommandants cried.

She was our son's guinea pig and to make matters worse, today's his last day of primary school and he's already "in mourning" for one of his best friends, who's moving to Brazil.

I've buried her in the garden. RIP Georgina.  :'(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jakob

« Reply #231 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:43:55 pm »
Hana attacked another dog in the park today. While she's shown a bullying streak towards certain dogs before, she's never been aggressive. Other dog got some puncture wounds, but should heal fine fine. (We've already offered to cover cost, etc).
 The problem is that we now be definition have a reactive dog and I'm not sure that we are equipped to handle that...at least not with a dog that size. Likely outcome is that we return her to the breeder. We've already been in contact and they've been extremely supportive.  At the breeder she will get the training and structure that she needs, something I'm not convinced that we can provide (And will potentially later get re-homed).

(edit): Now that things have calmed down a bit, we've spoken with eachother, spoken some more with the breeder and then finally with a trainer and are starting new classes on Saturday (and keeping her for the time being)

(edit2):
It turned out that it was somewhat provoked. Hana was playing with 1 dog, when a 3rd dog come up to them and started barking aggressively at them. As Hana is not one to back down, she responded in kind and adults intervened..it was then that she managed to get hold of the other dog.

Still we accepted that we did not have the necessary control and made several changes;
The breeder has always recommended to use prong collars. I've been resisting that, but in the light having a strong, dominant confident dog (and the alternative really being returning her), we went ahead and got one.
Other was talking to a trainer that also trains using those collars. She's one of the top obedience trainers in the country and we started attending her classes and the transformation has been amazing.
 Her obedience (on leash) is pretty much perfect. Off-leash, she's still not to be trusted in familiar environments and will be a jerk, so most of her play is now on a checkcord. She gets relatively little play with other dogs, but that means that she turns her attention to us instead, which is a good thing.
 Still not happy that we have to use a prong collar, but the results have must certainly been worth it.

« Reply #232 on: 06 November, 2015, 06:50:35 pm »
This seems like the best place to post this, though not my pet...

Last night. Some utter idiot brought their dog to the grand parade during Lewes bonfire last night*. This is at least half an hour of burning torches, firecrackers, bangers, bands, drumming and crowds not really focussed at foot level. It really isn't the place for a dog. Poor thing's tail couldn't get much further between its legs. Idiot dropped lead several times and paid very little attention to the dog, but a woman from the crowd came and was friendly to it. Despite being unhappy it didn't make a bid for freedom or get aggressive. I'm surprised that the police didn't get involved.

* I know 'm a bigger fan of fireworks than some that will be reading, but frankly if you have a pet in Lewes you can be quite confident of an intense 24 hours of fireworks in the centre (but rather less than in most towns once out into 90% of the residential streets) and make plans accordingly. The centre of town on the 5th isn't somewhere you bring your pet by accident.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #233 on: 07 November, 2015, 01:05:22 pm »
That is a really stupid, selfish thing to do. I'm lucky in that Pete just sleeps through fireworks (although if he's out in the communal stair, he can hear me open the treats cupboard and be at my feet before I've shut it again), but I wouldn't dream of taking him to a display.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #234 on: 13 November, 2015, 10:27:15 pm »
One of SO's four rats has had to be put down (old age, pneumonia).  She is quite upset.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #235 on: 13 November, 2015, 11:38:34 pm »
Aw, shame  :(

How old (the rat)?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #236 on: 14 November, 2015, 10:37:08 am »
Adopted so she's not totally sure, but probably a couple of years.  They don't live very long.  They'd live about five minutes if she ever moved in, because Tigs The Tabby Terror would either eat them or stare at them until they died of fright ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #237 on: 16 November, 2015, 09:31:08 am »
Sad to say I suspected there would be such a thread on yacf.

Our lovely boy Jack the ginger Tom died on Friday night.  :'( :'( :'(

He'd been missing since Wednesday morning when I left him and his sister Missie out for the day as he'd annoyed us by spraying on the tv and stereo plugs and blowing the house fuses (not for the first time).  My wife was planning to take him to the vet as being neutered he shouldn't really be doing that.

He's disappeared before now and for longer so I wasn't too worried (though concerned) - a couple of years ago he disappeared just before we went on holiday for two weeks to Turkey.  He only showed up a couple of days before we got back and was in a right state then - terribly thin looking and with lots of fur missing but he made a full recovery.

But Saturday morning my wife Phil spotted him in the garden lying in the terrible weather.  He must have struggled back in the awful weather and died of exposure  :(  He had a little blood on his poor face and one of his legs looked suspiciously curled up - injured I guess.
Such a shame only 7 1/2 and a lovely friendly cat - he'd say hello to anyone, as opposed to his sister who is very wary of strangers and never strays far from the house.

Gutted is not the word.  I will miss him coming through the window and meowing for a scratch on the head.  Phil will miss him coming to meet her when she turns the corner walking home from work down the end of the street.  I will miss him harassing me when I'm cooking.  "It's beansprouts and lettuce Jack!  You're a cat!"  Still welling up now, typing this.  Missie looked very lonely when I left the house this morning - she seems to be looking for him a lot now.  We took her to his little grave in the garden but I guess he doesn't smell of Jack anymore.

RIP Jack 2008-2015 :'(

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #238 on: 16 November, 2015, 10:55:13 am »
Sorry to hear this, that's very sad indeed. 

caerau

« Reply #239 on: 16 November, 2015, 11:46:06 am »
Thanks, brave little boy made it home at least to tell us what happened to him.  That is some comfort.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #240 on: 16 November, 2015, 11:48:21 am »
Hugs, Caerau.   :(
Milk please, no sugar.

caerau

« Reply #241 on: 16 November, 2015, 12:26:44 pm »
Thanks, goodbye Jack (I really am in bits again doing all this  :( )

2010_0314AB by djm10001, on Flickr

2011-05-10 22.53.56 by djm10001, on Flickr

2010_0226AA by djm10001, on Flickr

2010-08-29 15.45.16 by djm10001, on Flickr

Ourbeauties by djm10001, on Flickr

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #242 on: 16 November, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »
Love the one with the cone of shame!

He was loved.  That's why it hurts.  So it's kind of a good thing, even though it hurts.

:(
Milk please, no sugar.

caerau

« Reply #243 on: 16 November, 2015, 12:41:47 pm »
Indeed.  We've already decided to get a kitten to keep Missie company, she's always had a kitty companion and are worried for her now.  Plus we should give our love not hold it back because we got hurt.

That cone of shame was brilliant.  He got a very nasty bite on his tail from something (dog or fox I guess) and so I put that on to stop him licking it.  With the cone on, he instantly turned on *depression* - you can very much see it in his face - that kind of instantly moved me to photograph the moment.  :demon:

He spent the next two days deliberately walking into things to catch the cone so as to say 'look what you have you done to me'

Served him right, when we got him neutered and Missie spayed he tormented her when she had the cone of shame as a result - karma.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #244 on: 16 November, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »
Aw, that is a shame  :(

This is teh squeee:

2010_0314AB by djm10001, on Flickr

caerau

« Reply #245 on: 16 November, 2015, 12:47:25 pm »
Yep, that it is.  :-D

« Reply #246 on: 16 November, 2015, 12:50:03 pm »
Losing a pet is never easy, and rightly so.

Stories about veggie cats and dogs always make me shed a tear for 'Laddie'. Our veggie Alsation/Border Collie cross who used to get the left-overs from Sunday dinner. He'd always lift the meat out of his bowl and tuck into the veg. Mum's cooking was never that bad, crazy mutt! He also stole lit cigarettes out of people's hands.  ???

Also, 'Bill' a cat whose brother lived next door. Together they raided Sunday lunch from a house a few doors away and brought it home. Bill's brother got a nice juicy steak. Bill munched away on a Yorkshire pudding. ???
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

caerau

« Reply #247 on: 16 November, 2015, 01:09:07 pm »
Oh he was no veggie, he got a lot more excited when I was cooking a chicken, and a lot more success in filling his stomach.
It was just  a bit more exasperating when I was doing a stir fry as well, it was all just veggies, yet he'd still plonk himself on the bin expectantly.

« Reply #248 on: 16 November, 2015, 03:13:10 pm »
Laddie wasn't a total veggie either - but the way he dealt with Sunday lunches was always funny. It was almost as though he was saving the best bit for later.

Also thinking of Humphrey - a neighbour's English mastiff who was on his last legs when we moved in. The neighbour was a young lady living on her own. She was about 14 when she got him as a puppy. I'd swear Humphrey was hanging on as long as he could for her.

And Rosie - a neighbour's collie who loved to let his hens jump all over and peck around her. She never caused any problems with them.

They definitely leave an indelible mark on our lives.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

caerau

« Reply #249 on: 16 November, 2015, 04:20:27 pm »
Aye, and rather like when my father died, it's definitely therapeutic to reminisce on the good times and even their annoying features seem like loveable things with a bit of perspective.

Thanks for all the comments, it's not nice but it's also good to talk/type about it.