Author Topic: Football or athletics or both?  (Read 5445 times)

Re: Football or athletics or both?
« Reply #25 on: 21 January, 2011, 03:22:56 pm »
True that the Olympics can only be held in capitals.

Capitals such as Melbourne, Munich, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Montreal, St Louis, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro...

Errmmmmmmm...... Can you fuck off for a minute and stop twisting my words please? I mentioned two British cities. At what point did I mention capitals? It wasn't even in my mind. All of the cities you mention are very well known cities, which is what I was talking about. I never said they had to be capitals. You can't half be a manipulative cunt sometimes, Claz.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 21 January, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »
Fair enough.  I've had my turn at winding you up ;)

I hadn't realised that Manchester isn't one of those
very well known cities
;D
Getting there...

« Reply #27 on: 21 January, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
I'm sorry, but Manchester isn't to somebody on the other side of the world....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 21 January, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »
Like Australians, whose athletes performed so well at the Commonwealth Games, or any of those areas affected by the hub of the Industrial Revolution, or the fans of Oasis who seem to be very numerous as far as China & Japan?

Never mind, someone somewhere will have heard of Essex. ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 21 January, 2011, 03:49:21 pm »
I couldn't give two flying bollock shits whether or not somebody has heard of Essex. It's a simple fact that if you go to all corners of the Earth and ask somebody to name a city in England (preferably in their language) they will say London. If you ask them to name another, they will probably be stumped....

Actually, some time ago on a now defunct forum, some Yank had heard of Manchester because of Manchester United Football Club. He thought Manchester was a suburb of London and was amazed when I told him it wasn't....

fuzzy

« Reply #30 on: 21 January, 2011, 03:50:07 pm »
Running tracks or anything else that puts a distance beyond that needed to run the line or take a reasonable run up for a throw in, between the front row of spectators and the pitch is a big no no.

One of the plus points about football in the UK is the intimacy of the atmosphere in many grounds. I have been to many games where the fans are able to play there part (grabbing the jersey of the opposition player trying for a long throw run up etc).

Up close and personal is the way it should be.

« Reply #31 on: 21 January, 2011, 04:28:49 pm »
The reality is that any Olympic Stadium is a white elephant the second the games end. It is true of every event. The real question is what do you do with a white elephant. The O2 / Millennium Dome model is proven to work - so why wouldn't you let the most profitable solution win here? The money is sunk - let's at least try and save something from it.

So if Spurs think they can make more money by knocking it down and starting again then let them. They are probably right that a refurbished Crystal Palace is a better venue for athletics...

The West Ham / Newham bid seems to me (I'm a Liverpool fan so I'm not partial here) seems naive at best - they don't want to spend any capital at all on this, and the final design looks flawed for both sports.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 21 January, 2011, 09:21:15 pm »
Have I mentioned that Manchester should have been chosen to host the 'Lympics? ;)
You'm mistakend. The Olympicals should be held in cities that know how to deal to with the opportunities presented, like Moscow and Qatar...

Or else it should return to being a restival of international brothership in sport!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #33 on: 22 January, 2011, 01:59:17 pm »
*would just like to point out that Edinburgh is a capital*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #34 on: 22 January, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »
*would just like to point out that Edinburgh is a capital*

Who said it wasn't?!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #35 on: 22 January, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »
Nobody. I'm just pointing it out so either you or Clarion can incorporate it into your argument.  ;)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:54:30 pm »
What's the problem with a running track around a football pitch? The old Wembley stadium didn't seem to suffer from having one there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #37 on: 22 January, 2011, 11:04:47 pm »
What's the problem with a running track around a football pitch? The old Wembley stadium didn't seem to suffer from having one there.

It was a dog track. Not a running track. And it was shit. I remember Gazza scoring a glorious goal for England one day I was there in 1992. But I was so far away and there were pillars in the way too. I had to watch it on tv when I got home.

The old Wembley was rubbish.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 23 January, 2011, 12:34:14 am »

You could be 100m from the action.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 23 January, 2011, 01:54:38 pm »
[/quote

You could be 100m from the action.

Seems to work ok in Barcelona at the Nou Camp.
Although there is no running track how far away from the pitch by the time you get to the third tier you must be at least 100m away from the pitch.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #40 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:45:27 am »
It would seem that a number of major European clubs who used to play at multi-purpose stadia have upped sticks and moved to bespoke foopball grounds.  Schalke 04 and both the major Munich clubs, plus one or two others which I can't remember offhand.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #41 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:58:50 am »
Camp Nou (I quit Spanish before GCSE, but I can still get it the right way around  ::-) ) has very steep stands and that's what makes the difference. Crappy stadiums like the old Wembley just existed to get as many people in as possible....

« Reply #42 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:57:41 pm »
I'm sorry, but Manchester isn't to somebody on the other side of the world....
Manchester United is known worldwide. It's the best-known sports firm/club/whatever in the world, by far. If the existence & name of Manchester aren't well-known worldwide, something is seriously wrong.

Atlanta, & even more St. Louis, on the other hand, have very low profiles in comparison.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #43 on: 24 January, 2011, 04:59:23 pm »
A running track around a pitch used to be commonplace in many venues.   There are also options for retractable seating and/or track sections.   It can be done, just that somebody has to want to.

+1.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #44 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:20:30 am »
Manchester United is known worldwide. It's the best-known sports firm/club/whatever in the world, by far. If the existence & name of Manchester aren't well-known worldwide, something is seriously wrong.

But as Bobb pointed out back there <<<< how many of them could find Manchester on a map unless it had MANCHESTER written on it in big friendly letters with an arrow pointing in the general direction of the eastern end of the Shit Canal?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:22:29 am »
Good point.

Control group: How many of said Furrinerz can locate londonton on a map without a big neon sign in the middle of the sewer which passes for a river hereabouts?
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:24:32 am »
Good point.

Control group: How many of said Furrinerz can locate londonton on a map without a big neon sign in the middle of the sewer which passes for a river hereabouts?
What is the scale of this map?     :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #47 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:30:32 am »
There was an interesting (if a little unfair and heavily edited) news piece on Aussie TV where they got random Yanks to point to Iraq on an unmarked map. They all got it completely wrong.

You can slag off London all you like, Claz - I'm not from there, so I don't care. If you really don't like it, why don't you just piss off? Slag off my home town though and you will be feeling the back of my hand......

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #48 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:32:41 am »
Meanwhile, back on topic I wonder what Stratford will be like with 25,000 travelling through on the way to Upton Park and 60,000 on the way to Tottenham at the Olympic Park.

If Tottenham do get the stadium I just hope the FA/Premier League make sure that these two teams are never playing at home on the same day. [not forgetting Orient, of course]
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #49 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:35:16 am »
In terms of filling a very large athletics stadium, it's not that relevant if people can find the city on a map, what counts is how easily they can get there from Abroad. Or even from other parts of The Not Abroad.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.