Author Topic: My Ribble has been nicked  (Read 19780 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: My Ribble has been nicked
« Reply #25 on: 24 January, 2011, 06:43:40 am »
Oh No Grim News.
Hope you get it back, and some restorative justice on the criminals who took it.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 24 January, 2011, 06:51:18 am »
Horrible  >:(  :'( 

As a fellow Ribble Blue owner I know what great bikes they are so I'm guessing you were really attached to the machine.  The picture you posted up thread is fantastic and just shows what they can do.  I hope you either get it back or sort out a worthy replacement.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #27 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:51:52 am »
I've got a photo of the Andrij + Ribble from Saturday that I'll post up when I get home so people can see exactly what to keep any eye out for.

I've also been the victim of bike theft and know how horrible it feels to walk outside and release one's bike has gone AWOL.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #28 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:05:33 pm »
Scumbags  >:(  I'll also be keeping an eye out for it, hopefully between us someone will spot it & we can get it returned to it's rightful owner.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #29 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:40:51 pm »
Can't believe there are people in CSP going round in a van with a set of bolt crops, cutting locks and robbing bikes. Hope you get your bike back.

I'm probably taking the troll-bait here, but typically at an Audax start/finish, it's extremely rare to lock a bike at all and even if it is locked it's usually just to itself as an immobiliser (but even that's about as common as tits on a fish).

I can't be believe that no-one locks their bike up FFS you are just asking for it be nicked regardless of where it is or how many people are about.

I just hope AUK see sense and make it compulsory from now on to have a Abus 54 (or something similar) on your person to stop people robbing your pride and joy.

I expect to see an announcement in the next quarterly edition of Arrivee.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #30 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »
Yes, but that's probably because you're a massive admin edit: Chaucerian word used to describe female bits

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #31 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:53:37 pm »
I can't be believe that no-one locks their bike up FFS you are just asking for it be nicked regardless of where it is or how many people are about.

I just hope AUK see sense and make it compulsory from now on to have a Abus 54 (or something similar) on your person to stop people robbing your pride and joy.

[speechless]

[/speechless]

:o   :o  

Have you ever been on an audax ride? Do you know what happens at the start / finish / checkpoints? Have you seen the pile of bikes outside centers with riders coming & going, ergo keeping an eye on each others bikes?

And beside, there's no way I'm lugging a decent lock on a 600 km audax.

And what the hell has it got to do with AUK if one decides to use a lock or not? Andrij isn't blaming Paul or AUK for his lose.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #32 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »
I've always considered Julian to be somewhat like Lucy from the Chronicles of Narnia: small, but always right (sometimes infuriatingly so).

Having just read her post - I see no reason to change my opinion...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »

Quit the mindless hyperbole, tosser.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #34 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »
I would recommend ignoring the troll poster, word has it that is is just a posting multi of someone without the guts to post under their own forum ID.

Rapples

« Reply #35 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:01:14 pm »
Yes, but that's probably because you're a massive cunt.

;D ;D ;D

POTD

Or maybe not :o

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #36 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:06:16 pm »
I would recommend ignoring the troll poster, word has it that is is just a posting multi of someone without the guts to post under their own forum ID.

I've been ignoring the soulless, miserable git for his entire posting history, which amounts to about ten pages of mean-spirited victim blaming and snide digs at regular posters.  If it is a sockpuppet, the joke's worn thin enough.

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #37 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:20:29 pm »
Why so angry? And bravo on calling me that name you must be very proud.

The fact of the matter is I'll lock my bike up where ever I go when I leave the bike out of sight. If you don't do this then you do run the risk of the bike being stolen. What is so illogical about that?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »

The fact of the matter is I'll lock my bike up where ever I go when I leave the bike out of sight. If you don't do this then you do run the risk of the bike being stolen. What is so illogical about that?

How come you have suddenly become infused with self awareness missing from this earlier post?

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »

Since we don't know who you are, we can't confirm that you ride an SR series carrying an Abus 54 or similar! If you do, why not enlighten us.
Mike

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #40 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:24:30 pm »
Not to defend the guy, as I totally disagree with a) his approach and b) with the whole point about getting AUK to make it a regulation to carry a lock etc.

However, I think about security possibly more than some people do.  Each control is different, and you have to make a judgement call.  For instance, the Sainsbury's stop at Winnersh this weekend, my mate and I arrived and there was a pile of half a dozen unlocked bikes in the entrance lobby - all their owners were in the cafe which means no line of sight at all to the bikes.  It would have taken seconds for someone to take one.  There were not many other cyclists around (back of the field) at that time, so they were left in a pretty vunerable position.

Nothing is ever going to stop a determined/well equipped thief - so carrying an Abus weapons-grade U-lock is unlikely to stop someone like that.  However, it only takes a small lock to stop the opportunist - as long as they see they can't wheel/carry it away, they won't be tempted. 

It's about taking the calculated risk and making sure your insurance company won't be unhappy if your bike did get pinched.  I carry a very little cable lock (can't remember the model, but it was about £7-8, key-lock Abus thing) and I have checked with my insurer that I don't need to lock the bike with a particular Sold-Secure grade of lock, just lock it to something immovable.  I would hate to think what they would say if it wasn't locked up at all (where I guess the only situation they would pay up would be someone taking the bike forcibly from my hands).

If possible, I will always try and get the bike in my line of sight when I stop.

I really feel for Andrij, and I have left my bike unlocked at the end of a ride as well, so am far from perfect.  But it does go to show that everyone needs to be a bit more cautious with our prized steeds.

As I said, not defending the chap with the shift key problems, as I think Julian has summed him up quite nicely; but the sad reality is that we all need to make sure that our bikes are secure, and if the worst case scenario does happen, you're going to be covered by your insurance (if you have it etc.).

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »
It's about taking the calculated risk and making sure your insurance company won't be unhappy if your bike did get pinched. 

Also, the money spent on insurance premiums and locks over a lifetime will buy rather a nice bike!

There is no right answer - it's all a gamble.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #42 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:35:06 pm »
It's Lee1010 from CycleChat, I think not the nicest of Internet personas.  It's funny how some people are so remarkably different online.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #43 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:40:38 pm »
It's about taking the calculated risk and making sure your insurance company won't be unhappy if your bike did get pinched. 

Also, the money spent on insurance premiums and locks over a lifetime will buy rather a nice bike!

There is no right answer - it's all a gamble.

I do agree there - if I didn't live in a big city, I would consider not having them insured etc. (That said, the closest I ever came to having a bike nicked was on a small island in the Outer Hebrides with only a couple of hundred inhabitants).

Though now I have changed my contents insurance to one that doesn't worry about bikes under £4K in value, it doesn't cost me any extra.  I know there is then the argument about not having contents insurance as well, but I am, by nature, a cautious person and not a gambler!
Right! What's next?

border-rider

« Reply #44 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:42:14 pm »
I'd always try to lock my bike at a control if it were out of sight etc.  But with a lightweight deterrent lock.  I'd bring my bike in at the end at a village-hall-in-town finish as well, if I could (eg Bryan Chapman finish) but not worry at somewhere like Kings YH at the overnight stop, for obvious reasons.

It is all about risk and chance; AUK saw over 19,000 rides completed last year so mostly audax riders don't seem to face such bad odds.  But it happens - a bike was stolen from an intermediate control on a 200 a few years ago.

« Reply #45 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »
It's never practical to lock bikes when indoor at arrivees as people need to move the bikes to get bikes in and out. There are always bikes leaning on bikes against walls etc.

I'd really like to take a D lock to the jaw of a bike thief though.

Is it worth a letter to the local paper? Especially as the bike was stolen from the community centre

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #46 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:54:04 pm »
It's never practical to lock bikes when indoor at arrivees as people need to move the bikes to get bikes in and out. There are always bikes leaning on bikes against walls etc.

I'd really like to take a D lock to the jaw of a bike thief though.

Is it worth a letter to the local paper? Especially as the bike was stolen from the community centre

Good idea - there do be a forum - http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/ - might be worth raising on there?

I'm down the road at my showroom in Beaconsfield today - keeping my eye for local scrotes riding past on blue Ribbles!
Right! What's next?

Chris S

« Reply #47 on: 24 January, 2011, 03:32:51 pm »
Yes, but that's probably because you're a massive edited by admin

Whilst I may sympathise with this sentiment, it seems to be incompatible with Rool No 1:

Teh Rools

:-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 24 January, 2011, 03:38:53 pm »
Does factual description contravene?
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk