Author Topic: Joan Rivers and Loose Women  (Read 6921 times)

Joan Rivers and Loose Women
« on: 18 June, 2008, 11:06:42 am »
Although not a great fan of these harrions spouting whatever rubbish comes into their heads, I saw the link on the Guardian website about Joan Rivers getting chucked off for swearing when insulting Russell Crowe.

The best bit however (my editing):

Joan Rivers has said she was shocked to be kicked off today's edition of ITV1 talkshow Loose Women after she swore live on air - an outburst that prompted almost 50 complaints from shocked daytime viewers

When told how many complaints the comment had received, Rivers said: "This is ITV - I want a recount."

;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Joan Rivers and Loose Women
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:14:35 am »
Someone contacted $RADIO_STATION this morning to express the view that they shouln't complain, as this was almost certainly the most exciting thing to have happened in the entire day to the sad gits who watch this kind of thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Air Dancer

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2008, 03:19:13 pm »
She's looking well for her age.
Everything seems to be heading off in all directions except south.  ;D

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2008, 03:39:54 pm »
A good friend once suggested that Moira Stuart could kill off about half of 'Middle England' by saying "Good Evening.  Here is the fucking news" at the start of her evening broadcast.

He may have stolen this joke, as he has previous for this.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:30:48 pm »
Personally, I cannot abide the woman.  I saw her on the Jack Dee show several years ago, and she was making jokes about wearing fur coats, PETA (animal protection group) and child slave labour.  She is rotten to her core.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:25:06 pm »
Personally, I cannot abide the woman.  I saw her on the Jack Dee show several years ago, and she was making jokes about wearing fur coats, PETA (animal protection group) and child slave labour.  She is rotten to her core.

I think she is absolutely wonderful for precisely the same reasons.

I can assure you that she isn't a female Bernard Manning.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »
Joan Rivers swears shock horror!

Who knew? ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2008, 05:02:34 pm »
Is she an animal, vegetable, or mineral?

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:14:58 pm »

Bernard Manning always maintained he was being deliberately offensive as an attack against rising political correctness.  Joan Rivers has no such mitigation, she is just odious and repulsive in the extreme.

« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:13:02 pm »

By the looks of her, a testament to her cosmetic surgeon.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:41:00 am »
Why didn't they just bleep it out? There's a delay on tv/radio for that reasom. I think she was leaving anyways and Loose Women needed the press.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2008, 08:14:49 am »

By the looks of her, a testament to her cosmetic surgeon.  :demon:

;D

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #12 on: 20 June, 2008, 08:37:03 am »
Why didn't they just bleep it out? There's a delay on tv/radio for that reasom. I think she was leaving anyways and Loose Women needed the press.

Actually, in the UK at least, 'live transmission' pretty much means live for studio-based programmes.  There's a delay (up to a couple of seconds - c.f. analogue and digital reception of the same channel) due to processing and due to transmission distance, but mostly, live is live.  There are shows recorded "as live" for transmission later - which usually means they're recorded 'to time' with little or no editing done afterwards.  There are some shows which are done with tight turnarounds, and the advent of EVS and similar systems means that you could run with a short delay without too much difficulty, but IME most broadcasters don't use that type of thing unless there's an obvious need:  The Comedy Awards show springs to mind.

In 20 years of doing TV, I can't recall working on a 'Live' show that had any deliberate delay in the output for editorial purposes.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2008, 05:30:22 pm »

I liked Joan Rivers up to that point...  Love her now!

Still doesn't beat the memorable occasion on Noel Edmonds' Saturday Swap-shop when some kid phoned-in to speak to Matt-Bianco (a popular beat combo at the time).  Once the kid was live on air to the group he shouted to the nation"I think Matt Bianco are a bunch of F'in wankers...."

I'm still chuckling now...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 21 June, 2008, 05:43:58 pm »
In 20 years of doing TV, I can't recall working on a 'Live' show that had any deliberate delay in the output for editorial purposes.

Big Brother?

TFI Friday (post Shaun Rider)?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Really Ancien

« Reply #15 on: 21 June, 2008, 06:18:54 pm »
Joan was famous for being the first comic in the USA to prick the 9/11 bubble, for which well done. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/caN8L7308Zk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/caN8L7308Zk&rel=1</a>
The clip of the Loose Women show seems pretty anodyne to me .
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOpquHD4HJQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eOpquHD4HJQ&rel=1</a>

Damon.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #16 on: 21 June, 2008, 07:26:27 pm »

Still doesn't beat the memorable occasion on Noel Edmonds' Saturday Swap-shop when some kid phoned-in to speak to Matt-Bianco (a popular beat combo at the time).  Once the kid was live on air to the group he shouted to the nation"I think Matt Bianco are a bunch of F'in wankers...."

Wasn't that 5-Star? 

« Reply #17 on: 21 June, 2008, 07:38:32 pm »

Wasn't that 5-Star? 

It might have happened to 5-star... they deserved it! But it definately happened to Matt Bianco as I saw it live.  Actually I quite liked Matt Bianco, especially the Laydee!

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #18 on: 21 June, 2008, 09:30:30 pm »

Big Brother?

TFI Friday (post Shaun Rider)?

I don't work on them, so couldn't comment.
L
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #19 on: 21 June, 2008, 09:55:15 pm »
I quite liked Matt Bianco, especially the Laydee!

That'll be Basia Trzetrzelewska. She's quite accomplished as a solo artist. As well as cute  :-*
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #20 on: 22 June, 2008, 12:58:33 pm »

Wasn't that 5-Star? 

It might have happened to 5-star... they deserved it! But it definately happened to Matt Bianco as I saw it live.  Actually I quite liked Matt Bianco, especially the Laydee!

I may be thinking of Saturday Superstore.  5-Star were the guests, and members of the public were phoning in with their questions to the band.  One caller rang up and said "You're all w**kers!".  Sarah Greene's response was "Oh, how very mature".  Classic!  I remember going to college on the Monday and everyone was talking about it. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #21 on: 22 June, 2008, 04:02:18 pm »

And the kid who phoned up to ask Five Start why they were so fucking shit...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:52:34 pm »

Bernard Manning always maintained he was being deliberately offensive as an attack against rising political correctness.  Joan Rivers has no such mitigation, she is just odious and repulsive in the extreme.

You have this the wrong way around.

Bernhard Manning was the repulsive bigot (with impeccable timing and delivery I must admit).

Joan Rivers is beuatifully ironic.  She's Jewish, she lost close friends in 9/11, her husband was a depressive who commited suicide, she's spent a fortune on Plastic surgery and she makes jokes about it all.  She's totally self-aware, it's therapy (for her and others I suspect).  My god, she's nearly 76 and sharp as a tack.  I don't see what's repulsive about her subject matter, most of her subject matter is Joan Rivers' life. 

Sometimes you need to know the background of the performer to understand the joke. 

For example, Chris Rock is a true stand-up genius (probably the funniest I have seen since I first saw Bill Hicks and Dennis Leary) but a white Jewish comedian would be locked-up for using exactly the same material.  You think a comedy set entitled "I hate Niggers" would go down quite as well if Jim Davidson delivered it? (He probably has actually)

Jim Davidson is an example of when it all goes terribly, terribly wrong (He does a lodda lodda work for charridy though so his racist, masoginism is acceptable).

Comedy is so personal (I mean some people watched 'Allo 'Allo for christ's sake) so it's impossible to talk people around but Joan Rivers really does understand the irony when she makes jokes about people having cosmetic surgery.  When Jim Davidson does his ever so hilarious Jamaican "Chalky White" character I don't think there's any irony happening.

Likewise Bernhard Manning said he would never give a Black Person a lift in his car.  I don't think this was because of any just crusade against political correctness, he just didn't like any Black people and was prepared to tell everyone.

Here is is in his fight against rising political correctness (and winning it seems)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TbldMCfjwq4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TbldMCfjwq4&rel=1</a>

If you can find me anything by Joan Rivers that is as odious and repulsive as this I'll be amazed.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #23 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:12:19 pm »

And the kid who phoned up to ask Five Start why they were so fucking shit...
I must have missed the whole second page. Doh.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2008, 01:09:49 pm »

You have this the wrong way around.

Bernhard Manning was the repulsive bigot (with impeccable timing and delivery I must admit).

Joan Rivers is beuatifully ironic.  She's Jewish, she lost close friends in 9/11, her husband was a depressive who commited suicide, she's spent a fortune on Plastic surgery and she makes jokes about it all.  She's totally self-aware, it's therapy (for her and others I suspect).  My god, she's nearly 76 and sharp as a tack.  I don't see what's repulsive about her subject matter, most of her subject matter is Joan Rivers' life. 

Sometimes you need to know the background of the performer to understand the joke. 

For example, Chris Rock is a true stand-up genius (probably the funniest I have seen since I first saw Bill Hicks and Dennis Leary) but a white Jewish comedian would be locked-up for using exactly the same material.  You think a comedy set entitled "I hate Niggers" would go down quite as well if Jim Davidson delivered it? (He probably has actually)

Jim Davidson is an example of when it all goes terribly, terribly wrong (He does a lodda lodda work for charridy though so his racist, masoginism is acceptable).

Comedy is so personal (I mean some people watched 'Allo 'Allo for christ's sake) so it's impossible to talk people around but Joan Rivers really does understand the irony when she makes jokes about people having cosmetic surgery.  When Jim Davidson does his ever so hilarious Jamaican "Chalky White" character I don't think there's any irony happening.

Likewise Bernhard Manning said he would never give a Black Person a lift in his car.  I don't think this was because of any just crusade against political correctness, he just didn't like any Black people and was prepared to tell everyone.

Here is is in his fight against rising political correctness (and winning it seems)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TbldMCfjwq4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TbldMCfjwq4&rel=1</a>

If you can find me anything by Joan Rivers that is as odious and repulsive as this I'll be amazed.

First off, having a different view on something does not mean I have it the wrong way around.  It means we see things differently.

Second, just because I stated that Bernard Manning's defence was to attack political correctness does not imply I belive him - I am merely paraphrasing him.

Thirdly, there is nothing ironic about poking fun at animal rights and animal rights campaigners, when you wear a fur coat yourself.