Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2011  (Read 178543 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2011
« Reply #750 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:09:12 pm »
Posted by: NikW

Brilliant tale of audacity Gary 

Just you keep on riding knackered old bikes to keep us entertained 

I agree with the sentiments and having gone through most of the thread and photos of lovely carbon machines, I did have the passing thought that perhaps it just died of shame!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #751 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
Toby's got a fast bike, hasn't he.

Did he borrow it off Fabian Cancellara? ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eweboy

• one bleat short of a baaaaa
« Reply #752 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:14:14 pm »
short version:

bike broke [these things happen]
got it fixed [thanks a million, lad at Texaco garage]
rode the ride, get wet, tired and exhausted - and wondered 'why on earth do I find myself here' [normal scenario]
met some good people, shared time with some good people [which is invariably the case]
finished 10mins before BRM cutoff 9.50pm, [did I really expect anything else?]
fell over and crashed out [as you do]
drove home [stoped for motorway coffee]

Bloody good ride VonBroad and everyone else that took part and A+ for the welding by the look of it, hope this gets in to Arrivee -- deserves it. ...BTW- next time i go to Rhyeadar I will stop and tip the welding chap.... ;D

:thumbsup:

« Reply #753 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:16:15 pm »
On a different note: I was surprised to see a number of people on full-on road bikes with no luggage whatsoever. Unless I've been very unobservant, this is quite a new phenomenon on longer randonnees.

« Reply #754 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »
And not only road bikes, but many with no attempt at mudguards. Have these people never ridden in Wales before?  :)

Simonb

« Reply #755 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:21:53 pm »
On a different note: I was surprised to see a number of people on full-on road bikes with no luggage whatsoever. Unless I've been very unobservant, this is quite a new phenomenon on longer randonnees.

I've always preferred this setup -- though I do carry a Super C, so not exactly no luggage whatsoever. Saw loads of bikes like this on the last PBP. Perhaps this is changing people's minds?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #756 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:22:17 pm »
Does anyone know if Nick Ketteley and Andrew made it back in time to catch their 9.40 train from Bristol?  I think I last saw them leaving the control near Newtown but I suspected they were probably going to have to push it a bit to get back in time.

Thanks from me to Anton for company on the overnight stretch and the final leg, and to various others along the way for encouragement (including Simon P for a verbal kick up the bum when I was mumbling about not having enough time left and SeldomKiller for easing my apprehension about the last two legs, etc, etc).  Lots of other forumites spotted and several met but only subsequently identified - Priddy, we were often at the same controls and could have had a good chat about jersey sizes!).

Great to see Swarmcatcher coming at the finish.  She'd been muttering about packing at Menai so I was glad to see she pushed on.

All in all a satisfying couple of days on the leather razor blade, all made possible by fantastic organisation from Mr Blacksheep and his flock.  hatso off to those who finished against the odds.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #757 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:26:20 pm »
I'm with you there on both counts.  Having done BCM 4 times now, I think of the Trawsfynnydd climb as one of my least favourite bits of cycling in the year. I've done a ride starting from 6am at Beddgellert which went up there and it was lovely, so it must be the sleepiness thing.

I normally hate that section, but it seemed to fly by for me this year (I was surprised to start descending!). Perhaps it was the moonlight and lack of rain, or perhaps just that I was a bit earlier coming through than previous years and not as tired.

The climb from Newtown I count as as a highlight of my cycling year.  That smooth, dark surface and the beguiling curves - I think of it as the Beyonce Knowles stretch.

I was really irritated to feel my back tyre going down towards the top of there. I'd got a lovely rhythm going, and then had to pull over to a side road and suffer the accusatory glances of those going past, every last one of them thinking "Pretending to have a puncture, eh? Oldest trick in the book for getting a breather".  :(

« Reply #758 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »
And not only road bikes, but many with no attempt at mudguards. Have these people never ridden in Wales before?  :)

I noticed that too.  I think it is fashion.  A lot of people have never ridden with mudguards, hence do not quite appreciate how much less miserable life is when riding on a wet road with them rather than without!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #759 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »

I've always preferred this setup -- though I do carry a Super C, so not exactly no luggage whatsoever. Saw loads of bikes like this on the last PBP. Perhaps this is changing people's minds?

Equally there were some very heavy looking saddlebags on the road, including a couple of choka carradice longflap campers. I noticed because I'm planning to get one... for camping, not audax. I was lighterweight than usual as my SQR Tour was only 50% loaded. The BCM dropbag option helps, though all I used from mine was a fresh base layer.

The weather was cool enough for me to keep my wet/cold weather gear on for most of the ride. The top layer would have gone into my mostly empty Tour. Pro Endure Overshoes, an eVent jacket and PackLite overmitts worked really well, keeping me warm and dry through the wettest section of the ride.

simonp

LEE

« Reply #761 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:41:17 pm »
Guilty as charged.  I was hauling a stuffed Super-C but, in my defense, I was PBP kit-testing.

Apart from using different shoes that was pretty much my PBP set-up.

In fact I may be carrying less on PBP because I hear that there aren't any/many long remote stages without access to snacks.  Most of the weight in my saddlebag was food, just in case (I've been starving, wet and freezing on the BCM before and I may have overcompensated).

No big deal though, I got round no problem, without having to walk at any stage, so I can now consider it useful resistance-training (rather than curse the fact I found 3 bananas in the depths of the Super-C (yes..you can lose 3 bananas in a Super-C))

LEE

« Reply #762 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »

simonp

« Reply #763 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:44:32 pm »
I just had some energy gels. No solid food at all. 50 miles between food seems quite normal now. Bottles with torq energy and one gel in the middle of each stage.

« Reply #764 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:47:42 pm »
Mine was one of the chocka-looking longflaps - although a Nelson, not a Camper, and only just longflapped (on the tightest longflap hole). I don't bother with the bagdrop on the BCM, because it seems to me that the time you need to be putting on extra layers or possibly changing into something dry is in Menai, or the bit coming back from there, not the late afternoon/early evening bit from Dolgellau which is usually warm enough. Therefore I carry all my layers - and bits like my spare tyre are in the bag, not strapped to the outside somewhere.

I also get a bit paranoid about that night stage. It is quite long, quite remote, and with very varying weather. I'd hate to be a shivering and hungry mess on the road, with my warm stuff and food 50km away. For that I don't mind looking overloaded, even though it's actually mainly air as it is light clothing that I haven't bothered compressing hard into the bag.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #765 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:48:38 pm »
The innuendo must be rife at your place of work.

Could be worse. Could be your right hand...

+2 days I need some bandages for my quads. The idea of wearing compression tights to assist recovery is starting to look attractive.

I also get a bit paranoid about that night stage.

It did occur to me that the space blanket in my drop bag was pretty useless...

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #766 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:03:45 pm »
Cheers Wiggle
The Assos cream has arrived >:( , I suppose 5 days notice just isn't enough !!!!

Anyway
I only wish I could be as organised on the ride as the hosts, I spent alot of time fettling for little reward,understandable when you are knackered I suppose, so lesson learnt there.

A great Audax route made better with all the folk doing it , really felt part of something. So big shout out to all I came across and well done to all for taking part finishing or not.

Team Faccombe Three will see you all in Paris.

Finally,
thanks Blacksheep and all, for what is always a very well organised ride , you deserve a well earned rest.

« Reply #767 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »

I was brave and didn't carry the sleeping & bivvy bags strapped to the top of the bag this year  :)

« Reply #768 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »
The best of times the worst of times. My first failed Audax, insofar as I got home out of time by 41 minutes; so no PBP qualification this time. I knew I was taking on a challenge at a level above, but having got round Mille Cymru (albeit only just) last year, I thought it reasonable to have a crack at this iconic ride, about which I’d read so much over the years. Best laid plans and all that....

Weekend started badly as I spent half Friday dashing about taking Mrs. PP to the doctor to get anti-biotics for a bad bronchial infection and then having to go back to get something different that she wouldn’t react against. So got to Chepstow digs late and rather tired. Realised from the off that I was going to be tight against the time limits all the way - nothing unusual about that - but as a virgin to this ride, I hadn’t appreciated quite how unrelenting the ground was, at least to me wot don’t do climbing.

Being overdistance and run to the BRM schedule meant I would have to maintain a slightly higher average than usual and over time and miles this really began to prey on my mind. And then it rained. Managed to get past the infamous deadly roadworks on the approach to Cross Foxes Inn and then, soaked and chilling since my “waterproof” had wetted out and stopped working, I suddenly had a complete loss of the plot mentally and decided to pack there and then, in the middle of bloody nowhere. I even turned around and began riding back towards Machynlleth before I pulled up to try and think straight. Just at that moment another rider came along and stopped to see if I was OK. I don’t know who it was, but reading the thread above I suspect it might have been the redoubtable Mr. Broad, who would be the only person conceivably behind me at that point. He very helpfully pointed out the blindingly obvious fact that shelter was far more easily gained by riding on, as we were not that far from Kings, and thus encouraged, I plodded onwards.

The ministrations of TG and warm food and access to my heavier waterproof from my drop bag, lulled me into thinking I should carry on. This time I got as far as Harlech before my head went again, fighting against the siren call of all those welcoming lamplit windows in endless hostels, pubs and B&Bs. I turned around again and then strengthened and then turned around again until I was literally going around in circles in the road. Recollections of LEL and the flooded ride to Traquair came back to mind however and something snapped back into place. All I had to do was ride to Menai and then I’d be allowed to just ride home. Simple. So that’s what I did.

I don’t really remember much detail about the rest of the night and the following day, just a series of arrivals at controls manned by tired people waiting patiently for this wreck of a randonneur to crawl in and their kindly help and attention in getting me on my way again - sorry about that, folks!

Dried out and back in daylight on Sunday things gradually improved until I passed through Weobley where, given the nature of the remaining terrain,  I basically kissed goodbye to any chance of making it back in 40 hours. From then on it was just a question of pride to see if I could get in within the BR time limit. St. Briavels was a kick in the teeth but eventually I tottered in to Bulwark at 22.40. Too knackered to think straight I then left to ride the 4km back to my digs and got halfway there before I realised I’d not collected my drop bag and so had to ride back to Bulwark, causing more aggravation for the long-suffering Blacksheep! 633km on the clock all told by the time I finally reached my bed!

Back at home now and on the anti-biotics myself, since I seem to have caught Mrs. PP’s lurgy, and ruminating on my chances of getting to PBP or even if I want to do that again!

Many thanks to Blacksheep and all helpers for their very considerable efforts in organising this fantastic event and particularly to the mystery rider, Mr. B. or whoever, who kindly stopped to offer encouragement and without whom I might still be out there!

« Reply #769 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »
A waste of space :)

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #770 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

I noticed that too.  I think it is fashion.  A lot of people have never ridden with mudguards, hence do not quite appreciate how much less miserable life is when riding on a wet road with them rather than without!

I have mudguards as a courtesy to other riders, not too myself. It really annoys me to have someone in front with no mudguards. You have given him a tow for a couple of miles and then when its his turn, you have to let it go or steam on ahead as he is skitting dirt/water into your face. Down with that sort of thing.

Simonb

« Reply #771 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:31:28 pm »
I have mudguards as a courtesy to other riders, not too myself. It really annoys me to have someone in front with no mudguards. You have given him a tow for a couple of miles and then when its his turn, you have to let it go or steam on ahead as he is skitting dirt/water into your face. Down with that sort of thing.

I get round this problem by riding on my own or with people who don't mind getting wet. Seems to work.

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
« Reply #772 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:34:23 pm »
Guilty as charged.  I was hauling a stuffed Super-C but, in my defense, I was PBP kit-testing.

Same here, I had mine packed with almost everything that I have planned for PBP, far too much as it turns out.

Also thanks to yourself and your two companions for the company on the last stretch of the ride, much appreciated.

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
« Reply #773 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:41:01 pm »

I get round this problem by riding on my own or with people who don't mind getting wet. Seems to work.

True, I usually stay at the front of a group or on my own, its just an opinion that stuck with me after being drilled into me at my first Audax event.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #774 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:32:07 pm »
I was hauling a stuffed Super-C
So was I. I think the weight of the four pork pies inside the Super C combined with the extra large Fat Boy Breakfast with Extra Fat tipped me over the edge and contributed to my packing.

And for those who suffered but did not pack yet wish they had done, I can assure you that the pain of packing is immeasurably harder to live with than a few muscle aches.....largely because while pain is temporary, failure is forever.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.