Author Topic: So...I'm going blind  (Read 4322 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
So...I'm going blind
« on: 29 January, 2011, 07:03:27 pm »
Has anyone here had either a full or partial (endothelium only) corneal transplant?  I'm going to need two of them within 10 years.  Just wondering how well they last.

The irony is that I don't even need glasses, since the prescription would be 0.25 diopter in one eye only.  However, any photographer will tell you that a cracking lens can be made all romantic and hazy by breathing on it.

Shouldn't interfere with riding the bike; my father was able to do most things, except drive before mid-afternoon, right up until he had his eyes done.  You don't need brilliant eyesight for bike speeds.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: So...I'm going blind
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2011, 07:06:58 pm »

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2011, 07:10:24 pm »

Has anyone ever seen them in the same place together?  I think we should be told.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2011, 07:13:50 pm »
Not too far off, if untreated.  US residents without private health cover generally go like that.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2011, 07:28:45 pm »
Yay NHS! And you'll be fine, Grasshopper.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2011, 07:42:05 pm »
It might get done privately, as I'll probably still be working.

I didn't know this until I saw the consultant (who does private and NHS work) but you can use donor material for private operations as long as it is obtained via the NHS, who naturally make a charge for it.  Presumably this is to prevent any Burke-and-Hare style enterprises.

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2011, 03:46:34 pm »
This is rather bad news RZ, although I have generally heard very good things about the success of corneal transplants. The anti-rejection side of things is more likely to be a PITA than the actual op and its results I think. How long before they think it will be necessary?

« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2011, 03:55:46 pm »
That's quite something to have to cope with, RZ. It's a long way ahead but best wishes from me.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:01:47 pm »
It's sent you blind, hasn't it?

You mean you'll have a dead guy's flibbly bits in your eyes?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:10:58 pm »
Or a dead chick's.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:33:56 pm »
The anti-rejection side of things is more likely to be a PITA than the actual op and its results I think.
I'd think so too. I hope it all goes well for you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »
Or you could just get a guide dog.

If I'm not wrong David Blunkett said his dog was the biggest babe magnet out there...

« Reply #12 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:48:56 pm »
Do you have a favourite death row prisoner in mind as a potential donor?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #13 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »
Do you have a favourite death row prisoner in mind as a potential donor?

Evil Eyes!  :demon:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »
Do Zefal do the HP4 in white? Or is it back to Bluemels?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »
How long before they can grow new body parts from your own cells?

« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »
My Cousin had transplants in his eyes (he has always had shockingly bad eyesight). I assume they were corneal. He had to come back from Mauritania where he was working as the Sahara was not an appropriate enviroment. They seemed to go really well until he walked into an open cupboard door and ripped the lens and broke the transplant. It was hoped they would be able to make things better but at the moment, one year on, he is nearly blind, although he covers it well.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:31:18 pm »
How long before they can grow new body parts from your own cells?
They're working on it.  The front of the cornea has stem cells and can regenerate - it needs to, because the eye can get scratched by grit.  The back, unfortunately, doesn't, so research is focused on "regressing" the endothelial cells so they can do this.

Everyone starts out with a full complement of endothelial cells and they die off throughout your life.  For 99% of people you still have plenty left by the time you die, if you have Fuch's dystrophy they're all gone by middle age and then the fun begins.

« Reply #18 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:39:19 pm »
You're going blind from too much Fuching  :o :o

Hugs mate.   Even though it's treatable it must be an awful thing to have to look forward to.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:43:38 pm »
I am assured they will operate before it causes any pain and before it makes daily living impossible.  They have to do the first eye early enough that I can rely on the untreated other eye for the period (18 months with a full graft, less for an endothelial layer only) it takes to get decent vision back in the treated eye.

Sadly I am not allowed to choose the colour of my new eyes as the cornea is only the very front layer, in front of the iris and the lens.  When it's done it looks exactly as it did before, except that I will have to wear glasses since the finished curvature is never quite OEM.  I'd need glasses by that age anyway.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:45:54 pm »
Eek!
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:46:40 pm »
Will the Fuch's dystrophy affect the new corneas in the same way as your originals over time?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »
Serious question now...  Presumably there's a shortage of corneas, much like there's a shortage of everything else?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #23 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:49:56 pm »
I am assured they will operate before it causes any pain and before it makes daily living impossible.  They have to do the first eye early enough that I can rely on the untreated other eye for the period (18 months with a full graft, less for an endothelial layer only) it takes to get decent vision back in the treated eye.

Sadly I am not allowed to choose the colour of my new eyes as the cornea is only the very front layer, in front of the iris and the lens.  When it's done it looks exactly as it did before, except that I will have to wear glasses since the finished curvature is never quite OEM.  I'd need glasses by that age anyway.

Shame you can't get funky iridium given all the shit you have to go through.  I really do hope that you manage to steer a relatively painless course through it all.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #24 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:51:53 pm »

So could you end up like David Bowie??

It's a nasty outcome, but I suppose you at least know what will happen.  Good luck.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein