Author Topic: Making a photo of a bicycle  (Read 949 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
Making a photo of a bicycle
« on: 31 January, 2011, 12:55:43 pm »
Making a photo of a bicycle - seems like a natural convergence of interest on this board and forum.

I found this article here covering the subject in more detail (on a site dedicated to Hetchins bicycles).

How to photograph a bicycle

Nothing really surprising or witty but a good reference point to start with. Anything else to consider on this subject/motif?
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Making a photo of a bicycle
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2011, 01:05:26 pm »
That article's well out of date.

I trust my Nikon SLR to focus better than I possibly could - in 99% of cases, it's much cleverer than I am.  Also; tripod, schmipod; digital cameras with good low ISO performance and VR lenses mean that tripods are for self-portraits and astrophotography.

Backgrounds, yes - it makes sense to avoid anything which will detract from the subject at hand.  That's why I quite like finding a nice big field of fairly neat grass and doing this:

For extra strobist points, you could eliminate that shadow with a bit of off-camera fill, too.

All you need to keep the bike upright is a bit of string and a tent peg, then have the bike leaning ever so slightly towards you, supported by the guy line.  Works a treat  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Making a photo of a bicycle
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »
This thread is useless without marmite.