Author Topic: Numpty beef question  (Read 1234 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Numpty beef question
« on: 06 February, 2011, 07:32:19 pm »
On Friday I wandered into the butcher's.

"I'd like a bit of beef for Sunday dinner"

"A nice bit of topside? Oh. Suit you sir"

Now I'm sure it will, the meat from this butcher is very nice. But which other cuts should I consider? And where does topside lie in the hierarchy? Is it Dura Ace or Sora?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Numpty beef question
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2011, 08:08:27 pm »
Depends how you're cooking it.

Roast:         Sirloin on the bone, Rib
Pot roast:   Topside, Silverside
Steak:         Fillet, Sirloin

or

Chateaubriand
Beef Wellington

Euan Uzami

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »
Try brisket, it's dead nice. Cooked on a low heat for a long time.

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »
I can strongly reccomend getting a copy of floppy haired food luvvie Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall's Meat book.

In there, between the political/ethical ranting and the wonderful recipies, you will find diagrams of a cow, a pig and a sheep with indications of the different cuts of meat available from each one and general information on how to cook them.

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:56:38 am »
Topside, Top Rump, Point of Rump are all very lean cuts (and therefore quite dry when roasted), and not ones that I would roast even if barded with fat, which should be the norm from a decent butcher.

Classic roast is Rib on the bone - but at least 4" thickness, don't be tempted by a single rib on the basis of cost.  But Boned and Rolled Rib, or Rolled Sirloin are still good roasting cuts.  Quite expensive though - I'd budget £35-40 for a decent sized joint.

Brisket is a classic pot roast joint - more a stew / steamed dish really.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »

Brisket is a classic pot roast joint - more a stew / steamed dish really.
The way we get it as a sort of massive rolled loin, no bone - just sort of rolled and tied.
the night before, you make a marinade by blending garlic, thyme, rosemary , paprika (and/or whatever other herbs you like), black pepper, salt, and about a teaspoon of demorara sugar, and blend it all up with a few tablespoons of olive oil, add a bit more olive oil until it's a nice paste consistency. Then untie and unroll the meat and massage it into the meat with your hands. Then wrap it back up, tie it with string, and rub some of the marinade into the outside as well and onto the ends. Cover with tin foil, folded. Leave overnight.
About 6 hours before you want to eat it, put it in the oven on full - then after about half an hour turn the oven down to about 120/130 deg C to slow roast it, and add a little bit of boiling water to the roasting tin. Roast for another 5 hours.
It's absolutely superb, then, and the most tender meat you will ever have. But I'm not sure you can get it like that in supermarkets. If you ask in a fairly good quality butcher though they might have it.
Unfortunately the roasting tin does take a bit of scrubbing after due to the sugar, so don't do it in your best non stick one, but the sugar makes it a really nice crispy caramelised crust.