Linked Events

• York or therebouts-ish ride: 12 March, 2011

Author Topic: York or therebouts-ish ride 12/3/11 - Lungs and Knees and Weather permitting!  (Read 39434 times)

Have a good ride!  Is it a nice day there?  It's grey in Manchester, and we're off any minute to wire up an electric car...

I wonder about the directions my life takes sometimes, but then I think, heck, just go with it....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
I just looked at the weather forecast on XCWeather and Metcheck for next weekend.

They're dreadfully inaccurate for a week ahead.  Aren't they?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
*peers*

I suppose we can hope that clarion gets his marathon winters before then...

CrinklyLion

Well, it's improved since I looked last night.  We're down to sleet and light snow, first thing in the morning and in the afternoon only, now.  With a few hours of 'fair' in the middle.  It was sleet then snow then heavy snow.

Hmmm....

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
I work on a believe-it-when-I-see-it basis with long range forecasts.
However, given that my boiler threw a fit last night (faulty igniter I think, so no pilot light  ???) the last thing I need is snow.

Not sure if I'll be out on Saturday either. May have to go visit a client in Lincolncestershire.

You are just using the wrong forecast. I have "mostly sunny - high 22 degrees C, low 7 degrees C" for the 12th March. That sounds much better, don't you think? How do I get it ? just insert the word "Alabama" after you've typed in York  :)

Apologies about the weather forecast - I've just realised that I'm to blame. I stupidly thought about giving my knock knees an airing next weekend and digging out the shorts. I've realised what a folly that would be and desisted. However, apparently the mere idea of doing that has caused the weather to take a turn for the worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'm fairly sure it's karmic retribution for my knee still working after yesterday's abuse.  If it wasn't knees it was going to be lungs or weather, and the lungs are currently working suspiciously well...

CrinklyLion

If it helps, my knee has been a bit dodgy all year?

I think I have sorted out the last tea stop.  Rather than faffing with a cafe, Granny Annie has invited us to make use of their gaffe in Pocklington for a tea and pee stop.  They've even had a convenient set of railings, that are remarkably convenient for chaining bikes to, put up on the front wall a few weeks back  ;D

I suggested that if we were to take advantage of this, maybe we could have a charity pot where we chuck a quid (less than a cafe would have cost) in for the use of the facilities to raise some dosh for wateraid, which is my sister's charity of the year this year.  Warning, this house contains mildly insane labradors!  Kim, I'll make them double-hoover the front room and keep the dogs out of there or something if this is likely to provoke dramatic allergic reactions.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Excellent idea  :thumbsup:

Previous experience suggests that labradors of all sanity levels are likely to provoke allergic reactions, so de-dogging the room would probably be sensible.  Hopefully nothing too dramatic, unless you're thinking of using allergy to skew the karma away from lungs towards better weather?  :)

ETA: this appears to be working.  Forecast now 7-8C and dry.   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

Hmmm... that is looking slightly less depressing, isn't it?  Right, remember your ventolin, your knee bandages and your warm layers people!

I briefly considered asking the Cub if he wanted to accompany us on Saturday's 'proper' ride, given that he cheerfully managed 20 miles on Saturday.  But then I thought about his slightly less that 6mph moving average in the first half and decided that maybe that wouldn't be ideal!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Having just looked at the Met Office website (I know, I know - they're the Wikipedia of forecasting) it looks like it's going to be a bit, erm, breezy towards the end of the week. If that carries over into the weekend then a 6mph moving average might seem positively luxurious :)

Simon (waiting for the gas engineer to come and give the boiler the kiss of life)

CrinklyLion

Oooohhh.... my mum just rang and said that their mate, with the house that we borrowed for the tea stop on the way to Scarborough, has said we can use their place for our tea and pee stop in Pocklington on the way back :) 

Still a dog household (sorry Kim, but at least it'll make Deano happy) although significantly less hairy than my mum's house, git-loads of space to stack the bikes and my mum is threatening us with cheese scones.

Any special dietary requirements not covered by cheese scones or cake, speak now or forever hold your peace.  Or you can go to the garage next door for your frijj milkshakes and Ginsters.

Having just looked at the Met Office website (I know, I know - they're the Wikipedia of forecasting) it looks like it's going to be a bit, erm, breezy towards the end of the week. If that carries over into the weekend then a 6mph moving average might seem positively luxurious :)

You are all such a load of pessimists. Look on the bright side. The Met Office haven't forecast any:

1) Earthquakes
2) Volcanic eruptions
3) Hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons or similar cataclysmic events
4) Major flooding
5) Pestilence, plague and famine
6) The end of the world

Things could always be worse... or do the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse ride bicycles these days? If so, they are probaly welcome to join us.

CrinklyLion

Oh, what's that I hear?  Is that the sound of Fate being tempted?   :P

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Things could always be worse... or do the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse ride bicycles these days? If so, they are probaly welcome to join us.
Given my flirtation with the pig pox over Christmas I'm quite happy to come along dressed up as Pestilence :-)

Given my flirtation with the pig pox over Christmas I'm quite happy to come along dressed up as Pestilence :-)

I think Kim has first dibs on that horse...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CrinklyLion

Well, XC and Metcheck are in agreement about no SNO for now.  Fingers crossed.

MrCharly - did you see the link upthread to the cafe menu?  Might be worth checking it for wheat-free options, just to be on th safe side.  I don't think I have a wheat-free cake recipe.  Do chocolate rice crispy cakes count, I could probably manage that?

I was going to bung some of my own fuel in my saddlebag - possibly cheese flapjacks and a spicey fruit loaf, or maybe cheese and tomato bread.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

Well, the menu is here and it's all a bit wheaty, but I've rung them up.  The owner said that they don't reserve tables, because they've been stung too many times by people not showing up, but if we ring from Bishop Wilton they'll try and get us a couple of tables together clear by the time we get there. 

The daytime menu is mostly of the sandwich/toasty or something on toast variety, but the soup might well be gluten free depending on which soup is on that day (and I got the impression that she actually understands properly about intolerances, because all I said was that 'one person can't eat wheat' and she said that some of the soups use flour to thicken but some are gluten-free).  They also could do you a bacon and eggs, and at least one of the specials would be wheat free - when Arch and I were there it was stuff like hot pot/pasta bake/salmon with salad.  So I'd be reasonably hopeful of finding you something to eat!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org

I think Kim has first dibs on that horse...
Looks like I'll be coming as Famine, then  ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
We did the Recumbents of the Apocolypse gags here.   2/3rds (min) of the attendees there are coming this Saturday.
I'll wear my skellington top, and bring my teethgrinder appetite.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

CrinklyLion

Rower, do you know I once managed to take enough cake that TG said no thank you, he was full?

Edwardstone, that'll have been.

I was quite shocked.

The status of clan Mobbsy has been downgraded from definitely/maybe to maybe/possibly.

Last Saturday we did a 50k ride that took in some of the Fountains Monk'y Business audax, including the Fountains Abbey part and managed to average about 16.5kph for the whole thing, which was nice. It is the constant moaning from son2 for the last 1/2 of any ride that is stopping me from committing. I think he has helped me make my mind up about us doing the actual Monk'y business ride too. Bless him.
Stop analysing Strava and cut your hedge...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Mobbsy, I get something similar from TLD, everything from "we are going too fast" to "I am getting cold now".

My replies vary from "STFU" to "STFU" :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State