Linked Events

• York or therebouts-ish ride: 12 March, 2011

Author Topic: York or therebouts-ish ride 12/3/11 - Lungs and Knees and Weather permitting!  (Read 39411 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
We shall have to get him and the eldest cub together at some point, to see who would win in the 'whining world championships' :)

If you met us in Stamford Bridge (should be there around 11, hopefully a squeak before if we manage to set off on time!) and do the circuit from there it gives you a roughly 50km loop which includes Pooh Sticks bridge, the lunch stop and afternoon tea in Pocklington so it's in fairly manageable chunks - first third flat as a pancake, middle bit with lumps in, and the trip back to Stamford Bridge flat as a pancake again.  The lumpy bit has one bit of a climb up to Givendale- but if it's too hard for either of them I'm sure I could arrange to accompany them on the 24" gear, a steady climb up through Millington and a couple of short stabby bits after Warter, with a couple of cracking descents to compensate.

I have always found that with the EldestCub he rises well to the challenge of riding with proper cyclists, and the whinge quotient diminishes hugely if it's not just me.  But I don't know if that applies to yours!  Alternatively, if you just wanted a nice easy sociable pootle with them you could always join us on the planets path on Sunday.  Flat and traffic free run out to Naburn for a pub lunch, then (depending on time, weather and whether we can be arsed) possibly out to the outer planets and back, or possibly just back home.

The whinge from my daughter when we used to drag her out cycling with the family was "Cycling would be ok if you would remove all the uphill bits, all the downhill bits and all the flat bits - I don't mind doing the rest..."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That'll be the CAKE then?

That just about sums it up.

Weather forecast has changed.

It's now 11C maximum, possible rain in the afternoon. Winds southerly F3-4, gusty in the morning.

So, not too cold, no sleet, no ice, and crosswinds.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Alternatively, if you just wanted a nice easy sociable pootle with them you could always join us on the planets path on Sunday.  Flat and traffic free run out to Naburn for a pub lunch, then (depending on time, weather and whether we can be arsed) possibly out to the outer planets and back, or possibly just back home.

That looking like a definite plan then?  My friend-who-happens-to-be-a-boy (hereafter to be known as mfwhtbab (catchy, eh?) is threatening to bring his KMX over.  ;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
It would perhaps be more catchy Arch if mfwhtbab was referred to as L.F..
'cause he is a lucky fella

CrinklyLion

That looking like a definite plan then?  My friend-who-happens-to-be-a-boy (hereafter to be known as mfwhtbab (catchy, eh?) is threatening to bring his KMX over.  ;D

Well, me'n'zak have promised to take Kim to see the Solar system, so we're in :)  Is yfwhtbab a bit taller?  Would he let Kim have a go on his kmx round the stunt park at the Sun?  

CrinklyLion

Tiermat, I now have Monsoon Malabar ready and waiting in yout honour :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin

\o/ DOUBLEYAY!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
That looking like a definite plan then?  My friend-who-happens-to-be-a-boy (hereafter to be known as mfwhtbab (catchy, eh?) is threatening to bring his KMX over.  ;D

Well, me'n'zak have promised to take Kim to see the Solar system, so we're in :)  Is yfwhtbab a bit taller?  Would he let Kim have a go on his kmx round the stunt park at the Sun?  
If he does, and I'm available, I want to be there with the Bad-Ass Camera[tm]  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin

\o/ DOUBLEYAY!!!

Especially so as the McArthur Glen store had none on Saturday, so I had to do without and will still have do without until I get home on Friday (ordered some from Coffeebeanshop instead :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

This sounds suspiciously like some sort of conspiracy to add to my scar collection...   ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
I don't think it would be sensible to do a ride of approx 80km & the attendant travelling with the remnants of lurgy so I'll not be attending.
I expect this will ensure that I'm goodtogo for the Mountains Funky Business later in the month.

CrinklyLion

I don't think it would be sensible to do a ride of approx 80km & the attendant travelling with the remnants of lurgy so I'll not be attending.
:( But probably wise....

I expect this will ensure that I'm goodtogo for the Mountains Funky Business later in the month.
:thumbsup:

He's a bit taller than me yes.  Although we have fairly similar leg lengths, proving that even someone as stumpy as me conforms to the 'women have proportionately longer legs' thing. (We compared legs on Sunday when he was fettling the KMX. We were standing side by side, hip to hip, discussing relative groin height, when his Dad wandered out into the garden.  Not sure what he thought we were doing....  Actually, I needed the boom in by a couple of inches - partly due to wearing much thinner soled shoes.)

I'm sure he could be prevailed upon to let it be played with, gently.  Poor thing, it's had a broken back once already (before he owned it). This explains the length of bunk bed tubing included in the main frame.

Jogler, you smoothie... ;)

CrinklyLion

It occurs to me that I have nowhere near enough cake in my freezer.  Obviously I need cake-without-silly-fruit-and-nuts-in for Kim, so that's a batch of St Clements to do.  And I seem to have a lot of bananananananananas to use up, so a chocolate and bananananananananana batch seems to be in order.  And I got lots of CCCBs when I went shopping for Monsoon Malabar, so I guess a coffee cake or two.

Will that be enough, do you think?

*looks at work schedule for week, and wonders where baking time is going to fit*

jogler

• mojo operandi
, and wonders where baking time is going to fit*

0100 to 0200hrs as B4?  :)

*looks at work schedule for week, and wonders where baking time is going to fit*

"Hello? Is that work? Yes, it's CrinklyLion here. <cough> I'm really <cough> ill I'm <cough sneeze> afraid, and <hacking cough, sneeze, rasping wheeze> won't be in.

Yes, sorry, <cough> anyway, must go, the oven timer's pinging..."

CrinklyLion

I think that I've had 3 sick days in 5 years in this job.  And two of those were migraine-esque headache due to being over-tired from working too hard whilst pregnant, which of course meant that there was bugger all meds that I could take.

Although I genuinely do have a bit of a poorly knee at the moment.  I'm counting this as a good thing, and hoping that it might ward off the ice age and the need for excessive use of inhalers.

I hope my plans aren't going to scupper the weather - my mother is coming on a coach trip. This may be ok, or it may be that we spend the whole afternoon huddling together while scudding from coffee to tea in a blizzard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Okay, it seems that Postman Piers is pulling out, on the basis that he'll just fall apart his new car hasn't got a tow ball for his bike carrier.

Meanwhile, I'm seriously considering bringing the 'bent.  For SCIENCE.

CrinklyLion

And I'd only just had the conversation with the SmallestCub that it was 3 more sleeps til Kim comes to visit, but that she wasn't bringing her green bike and would have one that only had the usual amount of chain!

In other news - disaster strikes!  I haz no SR flour.

Perhaps I should go to the shop.....

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
I'd meant to bring the rubber-band bike, but if Kim's on the Streetmachine, and now that my Grasshopper's brakes aren't binding any more, it'd be rude not to... :thumbsup:

Kim - PM or text as you leave the house plz, so that I can bring an appropriate steed.  And we can freak out the guard on the X-country train.  kthx.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi

In other news - disaster strikes!  I haz no SR flour.

:o
hellsbells
that's like saying Egypt has no sand