Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 286983 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #600 on: 06 October, 2012, 07:18:10 am »
Given that the IOC are even more corrupt than the UCI, I doubt they'll want to risk rocking the boat too much.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #601 on: 06 October, 2012, 09:34:38 am »
Given that the IOC are even more corrupt than the UCI, I doubt they'll want to risk rocking the boat too much.

d.

Are there any international governing bodies of sports that aren't corrupt?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #602 on: 06 October, 2012, 12:25:26 pm »
There is a question of degrees of corruption though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #603 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:22:46 am »
Maybe there are even degrees IN corruption?  Available (for a consideration) from a university of your choice.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #604 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:16:41 am »
Yes, they're called "Business Studies"  ;)

« Reply #605 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:54:01 pm »
USADA are to present the evidence to the UCI within the next week or so.  I was sort of expecting that its content would be made public at that point, but UCI won't be doing that.  Will USADA?  Or will we have to wait?

A possible answer to my own question:

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST

USADA has written a summary, circa 200 pages, that will be available to public. Perhaps some time today. Thousands of pages in full report.

citoyen

« Reply #606 on: 10 October, 2012, 01:03:17 pm »
Thousands of pages?  :o

That's an awful lot of evidence.

« Reply #607 on: 10 October, 2012, 04:57:44 pm »
Now the fun begins...

Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Zabriskie, Danielson, Barry and Hincapie have been suspended, though given that Hincapie and Barry are retiring at the end of the season, that's neither here nor there, and the others may well get back-dated suspensions, which means that they may be free to resume racing come the start of next season:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/six-former-armstrong-usps-teammates-receive-bans-from-usada

http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/george-hincapie-admits-doping?page=0,1

And testimony from ex-team-mates isn't even the half of it - money talks, in many ways:

... in a press release issued this morning, USADA states that its 1000 page dossier not only includes testimony from 26 individuals, including 15 riders "with knowledge of the US Postal Service Team (USPS Team) and its participants' doping activities", but also "direct documentary evidence including financial payments, emails, scientific data and laboratory test results that further prove the use, possession and distribution of performance enhancing drugs by Lance Armstrong".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usadas-reasoned-decision-on-lance-armstrong-follows-the-money-trail

http://www.usada.org/cyclinginvestigationstatement.html
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

« Reply #608 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »
"You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the fuck it's gonna take you." - Lester Freamon

« Reply #609 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:09:16 pm »
http://www.usantidoping.org/

Watch that site for the 100 page précis to be released later on today (us time)

What is strange is that it looks as if Armstrongs team have totally underestimated the depth of this investigation, judging by the nature of their press releases.

I think they're very fucked.

citoyen

« Reply #610 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:16:29 pm »
What is strange is that it looks as if Armstrongs team have totally underestimated the depth of this investigation, judging by the nature of their press releases.

All the bullshit about jurisdiction and whether or not the USADA were following the correct procedure was always wishful thinking.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #611 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:18:09 pm »
Also, it'll be very interesting to see what happens to Bruyneel now.

d.

« Reply #612 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:19:26 pm »

All the bullshit about jurisdiction and whether or not the USADA were following the correct procedure was always wishful thinking.

d.

Judging by the calibre of the last offerings from Armstrong's lawyers, he's probably stopped paying them.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #613 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:21:35 pm »
I think Bruyneel was stalling for time, in the hope of a procedural  hiccup in the case. He won't defend, and he'll be out of cycling forever.

« Reply #614 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »
Now, yer average Livestrong band-wearer may not give a hoot about the doping allegations, but if you want to get an American all riled up, just mention misuse of tax dollars... :demon:

citoyen

« Reply #615 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:27:18 pm »
McQuaid and Verbruggen must be shitting themselves now - if the money trail leads directly to their door...

« Reply #616 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:33:44 pm »
McQuaid and Verbruggen must be shitting themselves now - if the money trail leads directly to their door...

Then there are the many and varied business connections. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be off out for marshmallows and pop-corn.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #617 on: 10 October, 2012, 06:21:16 pm »
The shit is about to hit the fan... Armstrong/USADA report live report (Guardian link).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #618 on: 10 October, 2012, 06:27:33 pm »
In the comments:

For you to say that you're innocent is a stretch, Armstrong.

;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #619 on: 10 October, 2012, 06:58:29 pm »
So far, open confessions from Barry and Hincapie. Implied confessions from the others.

'Move on' from Armstrong  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #620 on: 10 October, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »
I would very much like to see some non-USPS riders now coming forward and making a full confession. Whether or not the UCI set up a truth and reconciliation committee.

d.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #622 on: 11 October, 2012, 02:38:46 am »
The shit is about to hit the fan... Armstrong/USADA report live report (Guardian link).

Fertiliser is now firmly scattered all over the place.

Bloody Hell!  The UCI must accept responsibility for this.  I have registered my disapproval by donating to the Kimmage fund.

LAnce is a real thug - just finished reading Levi's affidavit.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #623 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:43:52 am »
There was quite a bit about This Business on the radio just now. On 6Music!

Perhaps I should start paying attention, it sounds important.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #624 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:15:25 am »
It wa even mentioend on the Today programme.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)