Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 287049 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #1175 on: 07 November, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »
The Procrit advert in the article makes me sick - not because of what it's advertising though, it's just the homely, simplistic style.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1176 on: 07 November, 2012, 02:24:15 pm »
More food for thought with a good post by the Inner Ring on ol' Edgar today - check out the Amgen advert in the comments;D

http://inrng.com/2012/11/epo-the-wonder-drug/

The one that points out its use for countering chemotherapy induced anaemia for cancer patients? I'd always assumed that this information was common knowledge among those seeking to comment on the Lance saga. I'm surprised that anyone needs to be told this stuff.

« Reply #1177 on: 07 November, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »
The advert in the comments is about a dialysis patient who was embarking on a ride across the US. That's another use for EPO of course, as the kidneys produce the natural form.

« Reply #1178 on: 07 November, 2012, 05:43:51 pm »
Bryon Vouga crossed the States from California to Florida in the same period as Lance was winning the Tour in 1999.

Dialysis patient Linda Vacarro thanks Vouga, while he gets dialysis treatment in Jacksonville after his one month cycling trip, for his work in promoting awareness of kidney disease.

A nurse traveled with Vouga and monitored his weight and fluid levels daily.

Vouga's trek was sponsored by Amgen, the company that discovered epoetin alfa therapy, which boosts the red blood cell count. Vouga credits the drug, epogen, with boosting his energy level.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/072799/met_2b3Kidne.html

« Reply #1179 on: 07 November, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »
Bryon Vouga seems to be the only person in the world with that name.
http://www.tmc.edu/tmcnews/08_01_99/page_11.html

He's a teacher, who's popular with his pupils. I wonder what he thinks about Lance and the USPS boys.
http://www.ratemyteachers.com/bryon-vouga/1361636-t

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1180 on: 08 November, 2012, 12:01:23 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1181 on: 08 November, 2012, 07:32:24 pm »

I think Voight must have had a very good idea about how Bruyneel operated before he went to Radioshack. I cant believe he didnt have other options open to him when he signed up for radioshack.   Same goes for cancellara tbh.   Every rider knew doping existed, every rider knew bruyneels history at UPS/Discover/Astana/ etc.  I assume it was big money that swung it for them. I've always thought that signing of such fans-favourites as Voigt and Cancellara were smart moves for Radioshack whose popularity had shrunk greatly since Lance retired.

I don't think they signed for Radioshack exactly. They had contracts with Leopard Trek when it merged with/was taken over by Radioshack.

« Reply #1182 on: 09 November, 2012, 04:09:04 pm »
I don't think they signed for Radioshack exactly. They had contracts with Leopard Trek when it merged with/was taken over by Radioshack.

Oh, I didn't know that.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys

« Reply #1184 on: 12 November, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/11/lance-armstrong-yellow-jerseys

That's a ballsy "yuck foo" to his detractors, I'll give him that. Mind you, there are suitably 'shopped versions all over the web already. ;D

And it appears that Armstrong has now resigned from the Livestrong board of directors. A full separation in order to protect the charitable foundation was kind of inevitable, you'd imagine that some people may not have been entirely satisfied when he resigned as chairmain, but remained on the board, last month.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-resigns-from-livestrong-board-of-directors
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1185 on: 12 November, 2012, 03:06:20 pm »
He has resigned to spend more time with his lawyers.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #1186 on: 12 November, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
Lance trying to cut his losses?

http://reader.roopstigo.com/view/roopster/story/615/#/chapter/2/

Looks like his attitude to 'no surrender' is crumbling, bit by bit.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1187 on: 12 November, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »
Shouldn't that be 'Back in Austin and just lyin' around'?
Getting there...

« Reply #1188 on: 12 November, 2012, 05:05:50 pm »
He has resigned to spend more time with his lawyers.

Probably to spend more time with Bruyneel's lawyers.

« Reply #1189 on: 13 November, 2012, 10:55:12 am »
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1190 on: 13 November, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »
Are you sure that, now his body is not being pumped with drugs and blood and whatnot, he hasn't just shrunk down to be teeny-tiny?
Getting there...

« Reply #1191 on: 13 November, 2012, 06:32:55 pm »
Are you sure that, now his body is not being pumped with drugs and blood and whatnot, he hasn't just shrunk down to be teeny-tiny?

The after-effect of all those 'roids. His one remaining must resemble a sultana.

fuzzy

« Reply #1192 on: 14 November, 2012, 09:13:59 am »
Is there going to be a similar outcry from outside cycling to the reports that Frankie Detorri has tested positive?

« Reply #1193 on: 14 November, 2012, 09:43:18 am »
Is there going to be a similar outcry from outside cycling to the reports that Frankie Detorri has tested positive?

Brough Scott was interviewed on the Today programme and said, in effect, how unlucky and unfortunate Detorri has been, what with having lost his contract with the sheikh and five kids to support yadda yadda.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1194 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:11:45 pm »
Dirty cheating wop.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #1195 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:39:32 pm »
Steady on, Clarion! I'm not sure you can say things like that even ironically.

Anyway, what has he tested positive for? Can't think what PEDs a jockey would benefit from - beta blockers, maybe?

d.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1196 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:49:12 pm »
Sniffs.
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1197 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »
Apart from recreational stuff, jockeys often take stuff for weight loss.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

« Reply #1198 on: 14 November, 2012, 01:11:04 pm »
Are weight-loss drugs banned?

d.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1199 on: 14 November, 2012, 01:13:51 pm »
Have you tried looking for yourself? Several racing organisations ban weightloss drugs for the jockeys.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...