Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 287058 times)

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #1650 on: 01 May, 2013, 06:44:38 pm »
Ace. Kimmage counter suing the UCI  :thumbsup:

Bravo. Brave souls like him need to keep pressing the buttons.  Where do we donate again?

http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/paul-kimmage-defense-fund

Speaking of which it appears that the editor-in-chief of the cycling satire web site, Cyclismas, is taking legal action against one Aaron Brown, (better known as @UCI_Overlord on Twitter) due to a fair bit of the defence fund being unaccounted for.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/538180/questions-over-paul-kimmage-defence-fund.html

On one level, it's unfortunate, but on another, it's strangely amusing.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1652 on: 25 May, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »
When Lance said 'kiss my ass......' it wasn't just to other riders or the UCI. Slightly rude, hence:

http://tinyurl.com/p2bcq9b
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #1653 on: 26 May, 2013, 09:29:50 pm »

« Reply #1654 on: 27 May, 2013, 06:50:18 am »
Interesting.
Maybe he should be a, er, postman? And just keep out of my life?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1656 on: 22 June, 2013, 02:04:18 pm »

LEE

« Reply #1657 on: 22 June, 2013, 02:07:41 pm »
Next!

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/8787644/

The denial phase.

Fortunately it's not up to him to decide whether or not he was cheating........the cheating c**t.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1658 on: 22 June, 2013, 06:05:51 pm »
I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling doping is going on in here!
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1659 on: 22 June, 2013, 06:27:18 pm »
Interesting distinction, though, between "breaking the rules" and "cheating". 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1660 on: 22 June, 2013, 06:37:53 pm »
Doping s'not cheating, silly!

It's cheating at doping that's cheating ;)

LEE

« Reply #1661 on: 22 June, 2013, 06:56:36 pm »
I can only assume that his argument of "I was only doing it to create a level playing field" means that all the team doctors and riders got together and administered the exact same amount of "dope" to each rider, thereby not gaining a competitive advantage.

Am I being naive or is it possible that Jan's doctor tried to do a better job of doping than his competitors, actually seeking to gain a competitive advantage.  Surely not.

« Reply #1662 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »
Well, in that era, to have a chance of being competitive, you had to dope

« Reply #1663 on: 23 June, 2013, 10:32:08 pm »
Strangely, watching Russia Today I saw a story that Jan Ullrich has now admitted doping (so the wikipedia entry on who won the '97 TdF will need editing).

After which, I did actually LOL at the Wikipedia article List of doping cases in cycling, specifically at the header that reads "This list is incomplete...".

« Reply #1664 on: 23 June, 2013, 10:56:36 pm »
Strangely, watching Russia Today I saw a story that Jan Ullrich has now admitted doping (so the wikipedia entry on who won the '97 TdF will need editing).

Only to reflect the UCI will probably treat it the same way as they treated the admission of Bjarne Riis for his win in 1996.  And who came 2nd in 1996? Ah, that'll be Ullrich!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1665 on: 24 June, 2013, 01:06:39 pm »
I can only assume that his argument of "I was only doing it to create a level playing field" means that all the team doctors and riders got together and administered the exact same amount of "dope" to each rider, thereby not gaining a competitive advantage.

Am I being naive or is it possible that Jan's doctor tried to do a better job of doping than his competitors, actually seeking to gain a competitive advantage.  Surely not.

http://inrng.com/2012/10/level-playing-field-doping-myth/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #1666 on: 24 June, 2013, 01:22:39 pm »
Well, in that era, to have a chance of being competitive, you had to dope

I know, but Jan's dreadful (denial phase) argument logically implied he was only attempting to dope exactly the same amount as his rivals.  He wanted it to be "fair".  That means he never took more, or better, "dope" than his rivals..just the precise amount needed for racing to be perfectly fair.

Or..as we all know...he did his utmost to take more, or better, "dope", in order to gain any advantage he could, to make the playing field as sloping as possible, in his favour.

Everyone knows they cheated..it would be nice if they all manned-up and said "yes, I cheated".  It doesn't need a "...because...", we know why, it was for money and fame.

« Reply #1667 on: 24 June, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »
I don't know. Maybe he doesn't want to be held up as a pariah for those who don't realise thàt doping is/was near universal.

At least, at the time, he just went, didn't try to lie his way out and didn't blame anybody else. His timing is a bit shit though, coming as it does during the national championships and the prelude to the TdF. In Germany it will overshadow any achievements by German riders.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1668 on: 24 June, 2013, 01:46:15 pm »
I know, but Jan's dreadful (denial phase) argument logically implied he was only attempting to dope exactly the same amount as his rivals.  He wanted it to be "fair".  That means he never took more, or better, "dope" than his rivals..just the precise amount needed for racing to be perfectly fair.

That's not really what he means. He's saying it's not cheating if everyone does it. A bit like speeding - he sees himself as no different to someone driving at 80 on the motorway even though what he's doing is more like driving at 90 in a 30 limit.

And because everyone was doing it, he thinks he had no option (except he always had the option that Bassons and Kimmage took of not wanting to be part of the charade). Plus what Flatus says about not wanting to be held up as a pariah.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1669 on: 24 June, 2013, 02:26:31 pm »

http://inrng.com/2012/10/level-playing-field-doping-myth/
As he says
Don’t look to sport for an equal universe.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1671 on: 28 June, 2013, 07:35:14 pm »
I've read the original interview in French. It has been misreported.

He was answering as to whether it could be won in his era without drugs, the answer to which is no.

« Reply #1672 on: 28 June, 2013, 11:27:59 pm »
I've read the original interview in French. It has been misreported.

He was answering as to whether it could be won in his era without drugs, the answer to which is no.

Some rather shoddy reporting out there. Though I can't stand the man, kudos to him for going online to correct Le Monde's error rather than throwing cycling under the bus for revenge.

« Reply #1673 on: 29 June, 2013, 01:06:30 am »
It's a problem for ASO. How do you celebrate the 100th Tour de France without pointing out that a considerable percentage were won by cheats?
I'd take it as a valuable moral lesson. Cheats prosper, so distrust the prosperous.

« Reply #1674 on: 29 June, 2013, 06:55:41 am »
I'm not sure that the ASO care from a moral perspective. They certainly do from a reputational one. It is about to get very messy......on the day of the Queen stage of the Tour, the French Senate will release the names of about 40 riders from the "98 Tour who's samples have been retrospectively tested and found positive.

Hell, even Robert Millar is about to own up