Author Topic: Protection  (Read 2401 times)

Protection
« on: 03 March, 2011, 01:21:25 pm »

Elbow and knee pads, just because I am crap not because I am a crazy downhiller.

Just want something light and comfortable that should help reduce the number of stitches required when I have a 'big one'.

Re: Protection
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2011, 01:25:22 pm »
Helmet. Helps when you dont duck low enough for that branch or you hit a root and go straight over the bars. Off road is the one time I always wear a cycling helmet.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2011, 01:29:33 pm »
Helmet. Helps when you dont duck low enough for that branch or you hit a root and go straight over the bars. Off road is the one time I always wear a cycling helmet.

Sorry didn't mention I always wear helmet and gloves. As far as a helmet is concerned I assume there is a british standard that they all meet but you pay extra for more comfortable headbands and chin straps?

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2011, 01:32:37 pm »
Don't get that one started the thread will go on for pages.. So long as it cushion my head from landing directly on it that's enough for me,

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »
Some years back Roach/Raceface stuff (eg Rally FR) was pretty good but there may be better stuff around now. Mebbe have a search on singletrackworld/southerndownhill (IIRC)/ browse the reviews on mtbr.com...

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »
I hired a full face one when I did a serious downhill ride in the Rockies a few years ago, Was pretty comfortable and would give better protection than a standard cycle helmet against whipping branches and the like. I don't think I could be bothered for the type of off road I do in the UK though which is just gentle orest trails and the like.

« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »
661 stuff seems to be well regarded, and while I've never used it I reckon the soft protectors are probably better for 'jeycore' riders. The only times I've wistfully wished I had it the injuries were grazes rather than impact damage.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.