Author Topic: Truly Terrible Books thread  (Read 26306 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Truely Terrible Books thread
« Reply #75 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »
Maybe we need an overrated books thread...

Anyway, someone's lent me one of the Twilight books, so I'll add it to the pile, and see if it really is all that bad.  
Trust me, it is.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #76 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »
I’m going to come out and defend Dan Brown. I’m now a big fan of both film and literature cheese. Oddly, it’s all the fault of James Joyce and Finnegans Wake. It was an attempt to read that bought me to a short, sharp stop. I had read the classics, the greats, and even enjoyed the struggle through the jungles of more tortuous texts. After all, that sort of thing built character (or gave you malaria).

After all that, if you squished my head erudition would spill out of it like water from a sponge.

Until the big bump that was Finnegans Wake, which frankly is fertiliser for pseuds. At that point, well, the mind finally realised that it craved cheese. And not just any cheese, oh no: Cheese Food Product. That’s what my mind needed. That’s what all our minds need.

Now, Dan Brown. Yes, the books are stupid. I mean, really hit-on-head trauma ward stupid. But they are reassuringly so. His characters could be cut out of cardboard and glued to a skateboard and given a shove. The plots are like a blind man joining the dots. It’s so bad that it’s good. It’s transcended any real physical measure of awful. And to be fair, Dan Brown does understand pacing. Read it breathless, while trapped in an airport lounge waiting for a jet that is never going to arrive, and the joyous sensation when you finish is similar to sticking a Sherbet Fountain up each nostril and then banging your face into a desk. Your entire brain fizzes with stupidity. You try that after reading Calvino and you end up having to explain why you have liquorice stuck up both nostrils to an unamused ER nurse.

Truly awful of late? I think I mentioned Transition by Iain Banks. It was just bad. And sad, because I think he could write a good book, but he seems to intent on trying to write a ‘clever’ book, which he’s already proved he can’t do.

Sci-fi books annoy me. I should like them. My idea of fun is spaceship fisticuffs with a variety of exotic weaponry. What could be better than that. OK, semi-naked space chicks with even bigger neutron cannons. So why must they spoil it with multivolume epics that span the intergalactic gulf between dull and really dull. There can be nothing more depressing than reading several hundred pages in which nothing much happens to find the following fateful words as a tailpiece: ‘so ends Book 1 of the NachoWacho Poly-Quadrilogy.’ You fucker, you just spent several hundred page reciting the names of the characters. Go read a Dan Brown book.

Twilight. I tried, for research purposes, as I have a pet vampire. In the end I wanted them all to be attacked by a giant Satanic, killer dildo. That might have been the ending. Please.

Occasionally I meet my match. When I first got my Kindle, I was about to whizz off on a business trip, but I wanted to try it. So I surfed Amazon and downloaded some freebies. One of which was this. It's free, I dare you.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #77 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:47:25 pm »
There can be nothing more depressing than reading several hundred pages in which nothing much happens to find the following fateful words as a tailpiece: ‘so ends Book 1 of the NachoWacho Poly-Quadrilogy.’ You fucker, you just spent several hundred page reciting the names of the characters.

From reading the above I am surmising you have read Peter F Hamilton books and, like me, want to slap him around the face shouting "Slaughterhouse 5 was less than 200 pages you fucking hack". 

Just one of his novels is about three times the size of Dune and by a curious coincidence about a third less happens in each book in his Night's Dawn trilogy than happens in Dune.

« Reply #78 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:51:37 pm »
Maybe we need an overrated books thread...

Anyway, someone's lent me one of the Twilight books, so I'll add it to the pile, and see if it really is all that bad.  
Trust me, it is.

Call it morbid curiosity, then. And keeping up with those young folks.

« Reply #79 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »
There can be nothing more depressing than reading several hundred pages in which nothing much happens to find the following fateful words as a tailpiece: ‘so ends Book 1 of the NachoWacho Poly-Quadrilogy.’ You fucker, you just spent several hundred page reciting the names of the characters.

From reading the above I am surmising you have read Peter F Hamilton books and, like me, want to slap him around the face shouting "Slaughterhouse 5 was less than 200 pages you fucking hack". 

Just one of his novels is about three times the size of Dune and by a curious coincidence about a third less happens in each book in his Night's Dawn trilogy than happens in Dune.

Dune, now there's a book that should be on the National Curriculum, along with Dune Messiah.....place not your faith in heroes or prophets...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #80 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:55:11 pm »

I quite liked these - but also agree with you. Try the detective series, far more compact.

Transition; I can't believe I bought it. ffs, Banks, what happened?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #81 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:06:19 pm »

+ 1. Austen is not only incredibly funny but she seems to understand the human condition. The Brontes vary considerably, I find that I preferred Anne's to the others. Billy, I found your comments about women writers and piffle incredibly sad, even if you do find the likes of them to be merely low-quality there are others who more than add to that genre of classic fiction, George Eliot, Mary Shelley, Elizabeth Gaskell and Flora Thompson being just a few, but all of them brilliant.

Think you'd probably also like Barbara Pym.

Moderator - please, this is a thread about bad literature, admittedly but "truely" is perpetuating it.  A couple have tried to bring this to our attention.....

Billy Weir

« Reply #82 on: 16 March, 2011, 07:28:19 am »
Speaking of poor vampire books, the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice turned into pretty bad books as the series progressed.  It started with a very good read in Interview with a Vampire and gradually the characters progressively died on the page as more books were published.

Quite a few series do this.  As someone mentioned it, Dune is another that springs to mind.  The first few books were brilliant (I was mildly obsessed by the series in high school, to the extent that I would have cinammon on everything, imagining it was "spice"  :-[ ).  But as it went on, it turned into a meandering, confusing shambles.

In essence, cash cows do not write good books.  Actually, based on Star Wars prequel, make that good anything (curse you George Lucas *shakes fist*)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Truly Terrible Books thread
« Reply #83 on: 16 March, 2011, 07:35:21 am »
Sorry, fixed now (not that I am a mod, just the person who started this thread so I am able to change it :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #84 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:59:50 am »
Ian, you horrible get.  People are looking at me strangely because I am making some very odd noises in trying to contain my laughter.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #85 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:48:41 am »
Because they sprung to mind.  Although your implication is clear.

It just struck me as odd that two such disparate examples should be selected as being representative of a class. You might as well have said something like: "I hate 20th century English novelists such as PG Wodehouse and Salman Rushdie."

It made me stop to wonder why those two in particular should spring to your mind. Am I reading too much between the lines? Maybe. I accept it's possible that I'm being over-sensitive because I'm such a big fan of Jane Austen.

Sorry if my comments seemed a bit strong.

I’m going to come out and defend Dan Brown...

Much as I enjoyed your critique, I'm afraid you haven't won me over. Plot is overrated, isn't it? (This is possibly why I don't share Mr Larrington's view of Will Self's My Idea Of Fun, or her_welshness's view of Tom McCarthy's C, both of which are right up my street.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #86 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:57:54 am »
Much as I enjoyed your critique, I'm afraid you haven't won me over. Plot is overrated, isn't it? (This is possibly why I don't share Mr Larrington's view of Will Self's My Idea Of Fun, or her_welshness's view of Tom McCarthy's C, both of which are right up my street.)

I have enjoyed both The Butt and The Book Of Dave, but My Idea Of Fun just didn't do it for me.

citoyen

« Reply #87 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:24:40 am »
I have enjoyed both The Butt and The Book Of Dave, but My Idea Of Fun just didn't do it for me.

I thought it was hilarious. But it's a long time since I read it... What I remember about it are the Fat Controller and the Land of Children's Jokes, which I thought were brilliant ideas, and a fairly nasty scene with a dog. Maybe I should read it again.

The other thing I remember is that it's all words and no plot, but I like that kind of thing.

d.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #88 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:28:47 am »
Anything by Colin Dexter.  All the good things about the TV adaptations came from the direction, acting and rewritten script.  The books are almost unreadable, incoherent drivel.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

« Reply #89 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:35:16 am »
Plus Colin Dexter is an insufferably smug git too.

d.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #90 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:36:51 am »
Now, Dan Brown. Yes, the books are stupid. I mean, really hit-on-head trauma ward stupid. But they are reassuringly so. His characters could be cut out of cardboard and glued to a skateboard and given a shove. The plots are like a blind man joining the dots. It’s so bad that it’s good. It’s transcended any real physical measure of awful. And to be fair, Dan Brown does understand pacing. Read it breathless, while trapped in an airport lounge waiting for a jet that is never going to arrive, and the joyous sensation when you finish is similar to sticking a Sherbet Fountain up each nostril and then banging your face into a desk. Your entire brain fizzes with stupidity. You try that after reading Calvino and you end up having to explain why you have liquorice stuck up both nostrils to an unamused ER nurse.

:thumbsup:

Ahh, Dan Brown. "Dear readers, let me tell you about the Holy Grail, but in a really patronising way and I will make it really simple and slow so that you all can keep up because I am a foppish American academic and you are all a bunch of cretinous idiots. And check out my theories, see how they totally fit into the whole scheme of things and with enough fact to make it true".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #91 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:58:16 am »
There can be nothing more depressing than reading several hundred pages in which nothing much happens to find the following fateful words as a tailpiece: ‘so ends Book 1 of the NachoWacho Poly-Quadrilogy.’

Try this:

• Read Volume One of The Gulag Archipelago
  • Read Volume Two of The Gulag Archipelago
  • At the end of same, discover that:
    • There's a Volume Three, and
    • It hasn't been published yet

That's practically an entire Christmas holibobs I'll never get back.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #92 on: 16 March, 2011, 12:00:24 pm »
I remember reading August 1914, only to find it is part of an unspecified-length series, which may well begin before that book.  I also read Lenin In Zurich, which is part of the same series, but that's it. :hand: I refuse to even know if there's any more.
Getting there...

« Reply #93 on: 16 March, 2011, 12:02:52 pm »
There can be nothing more depressing than reading several hundred pages in which nothing much happens to find the following fateful words as a tailpiece: ‘so ends Book 1 of the NachoWacho Poly-Quadrilogy.’

Try this:

The law of trilogies states that all public libraries will stock either vol 1 & 2, or vol 2 & 3 of any trilogy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #94 on: 16 March, 2011, 12:09:50 pm »
A further law of series states that the author will cark it before completion - Stieg Larsson being the canonical example.  If Doug Nye croaks before the fourth and final volume of his history of BRM is completed I will be seriously annoyed - his co-conspirator Tony Rudd died just after the publication of vol. 3.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #95 on: 16 March, 2011, 12:13:49 pm »

Try this:

The law of trilogies states that all public libraries will stock either vol 1 & 2, or vol 2 & 3 of any trilogy.

Not quite.  I bought Vols 1&3 of the Lord of the Rings from Derby City Libraries.  They may have kept hold of just Vol 2 to annoy.

I waited till I could get a Vol 2 from the same edition before I started reading it.  I never did.

Oxfam in Hebden Bridge got Vols 1 & 3 of Lord of the Rings.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #96 on: 16 March, 2011, 01:31:10 pm »
Christian sci-fi.  Like Christian rock's pale, geeky brother.

Oh, oh, yes!  "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.  I don't know if the rest of the trilogy are so astoundingly, mind-numbingly awful and dull because the first one made ne too suicidal ever to want to find out.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #97 on: 16 March, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »
Try The Sparrow and Children of God by Mary Doria Russell.   Brilliant but gut-wrenching.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #98 on: 16 March, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »

Oh, oh, yes!  "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.  I don't know if the rest of the trilogy are so astoundingly, mind-numbingly awful and dull because the first one made ne too suicidal ever to want to find out.

Have never come across that one before  ??? I suppose people have already mentioned Hubbard's Sc-fi.  :sick:

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #99 on: 16 March, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »

Have never come across that one before  ??? I suppose people have already mentioned Hubbard's Sc-fi.  :sick:

I have to shamefully admit to having read and enjoyed Battlefield Earth.  I'm not a scientologist.