Author Topic: Making a tandem fit.  (Read 2340 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Making a tandem fit.
« on: 17 March, 2011, 10:08:49 am »
A friend has a tandem and its a little too big, what tricks and tips to make the bike more comfortable.  Things such as shorter cranks maybe or lower height saddles.

Ideas would be good.

Thanks

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Making a tandem fit.
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2011, 11:01:22 am »
Run the eccentric BB above, rather than below the mid-line. Are you talking about captain or stoker being too small for the tandem. It is much less of a problem for the stoker.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »
LWaB has raised a very valid point - it's pretty critical that a tandem is not too big for the captain - particularly standover height.  If the captain can not standover the bike with legs spread reasonably far apart, then it makes holding the bike steady (with stoker clipped in, any panniers etc.) very tricky indeed.  Obviously, there's not a lot that can be done in this case to make it safer.

If the standover is fine, then everything else is pretty much the same as a normal bike (except for stoker handlebar height which can be very tricky to get right as it is very dependant on saddle height for the captain). 

Changing cranksets on a tandem can be a quite spendy experience, so explore other options first!

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:01:42 pm »
Thats the thing, I'm not sure as I've not seen her riding the bike.

I've just been asked to help so thought I'd ask first on here.  She bought the tandem for £20 from gravesend s think it will need some work.  I have always fancied fettling a tandem, now  I have my chance.

« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2011, 09:32:28 am »
So, what's the intended rider configuration?  Is she pilot or stoker?   

If the bike is too tall (standover) then you almost certainlycannot realistically change much.   Find a seatpin with a shallow clamp and a saddle with shallow rails.  .

If the cockpit is too long shorter stems, different bars, in line seatpins and moving the saddle forward on the rails can serve.  For the stoker of course longer stems can be fitted.

Sometimes a bargain is anything but.

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »
Spent AGES looking for a tandem with a rear small enough for my 4'10" stoker ... then found a Thorn Childback on eBay:

Low BB + MTB'ing + Log= crash BTW  :thumbsup:

Touring guise:

Short cranks, long stoker stem, narrow bars, in-line 'post = happy team!:

I also need to source a sus post for the stoker too.
I like maps me