Author Topic: Genesis Croix de Fer  (Read 52252 times)

Re: Genesis Croix de Fer
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 08:28:15 pm »
Do you have a CDF or a Croix de Fer?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 09:27:55 pm »
I didn't understand the question until I took a look at the Genesis website.  When I obtained my Croix de Fer that was the only disc-braked road bike that they sold and they were often referred to as a CdF.  I now see that Genesis have complicated matters for lazy people like me.

A picture of mine on the day I took delivery is here:  http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.msg621873#msg621873

That has just reminded me that I also changed the saddle pretty soon after I got it.

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:10 pm »
It's ridiculous, isn't it?  Must cause endless confusion. When I phoned to order one in for a test ride, the shop triple checked which one I was after.

Looks really nice in your photo.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 10:30:11 pm »
The confusion now is as nothing to what it could be - if they bring out the CF CdF!
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:45 pm »
Anyone have any more feedback on these?  I'm looking at the latest model which seems to address some of the issues mentioned.

Brakes are BB7
Frame is black
White colour CdeF also put me off so :

Alternatively have you looked at Cotic X ? Very pleased with mine fitted up with BB5 discs / Exotic Carbon fork / Harry Rowlnds handbuilt Mavic Open Pros on Novatech Hubs with Campag groupset. A tad heavy @ 26 lb with full guards but runs well. Have ridden 200 & 300 km on it without any issues.
Around about £1200 build cost.
Comes now in a lovely bright green too :)

This is as near you`ll get to a pic at moment :

http://www.steveflemingphoto.com/8000756

HardKnott pass Fred Whitton in torrential rain (shock , horror a saddlebag on a sportive :) :)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 12:37:31 pm »
Evans don't do Cotic

But BB5s and dearer than the Croix de fer?  Better groupset I'll grant you, Tiagra is a bit low-end.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 05:31:45 pm »
I have the weekday Cotic X. Came with sora groupset apart from the rear which was Tiagra. New ones come with Deore I understand. The Lyras are good but require you to adjust both inner (grub screw) and outer pads. I have had mine 2 years now and already replaced the groupset with a Stronglight triple with Tiagra components. The STIs are triple which was handy saving me replacing them. I recomended the X to a collegue. He bought the basic bike (no carbon forks at the time) and got the shop to put on BB5s instead of Lyras/Tektro OEM brakes. The frame is not Reynolds but its a Cromoly?? frame and still very light. Its cheaper than the CdF and I was able to buy it on the Cycle2Work scheme as the CdF is over our £1000 limit. Its a comfortable and fun commuter which can take large studded winter tyres and a rack with p clips. (I have a Tubus Disco rack).
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 06:54:01 pm »
Evans don't do Cotic

But BB5s and dearer than the Croix de fer?  Better groupset I'll grant you, Tiagra is a bit low-end.

Dearer also because a `home build `setup so don`t get teh price advantage of an alraedy kitted out full bike----mind you teh Chorus levers  :) were not cheap but IMO so much better than Veloce / Centaur in being able to multishift up and down and trim front mech too.
Quite OK with BB5 too, they work well, yes sometimes rub but until something much better available staying on

Re frame material Cotic claim their FX tubing is an in house steel similar to 853
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »
So it's Tange Prestige then?

I was put off BB5 by the bad experiences of a couple of people here.

Chorus is a heck of a lot better than Tiagra! I would have much preferred 105 but that simply wasn't available on any bike in my price range of the type I want/need.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27:59 am »
Here`s full spec now  :)

Cotic X frame / Exotic Carbon forks / BB5 discs / Exotic bars, stem, seatpost / Novatec DB811/812-- SB ( converted to campag freehub)  disc hubs 32 h 3x Open Pros, Conti 4 seasons 28mm / Veloce groupset with an upgrade levers to Chorus / Ambrosio - Marchisio 12-30 cassette 

So very much custom built, and the Veloec chainset will be swopped out for an existing Middleburn Duo 44/29 giving super low gears  :)

After a bit I fitted Goodridge cable outers and no inline adjuster btw made for an enormous change in braking power
Probably now too good a spec for a Tange Prestige frame  :( ---which btw I would not describe as being light at 2.1kg frameset !! about 900gm more than my Van Nic Ti frame.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 08:49:13 am »
I think we need pictures.

That is very low gearing!  I'm going to see how I get on with the 34/27 lowest gear on the Croix. It's possible to fit a 30tooth on the rear without changing anything else.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 09:02:26 am »
Pictures will be provided ---presume I need them on Flickr ? then insert img/img function?

44/29 is low BUT if I run a 12-25 or 13-26, then lowest gear is same 34 / 29 and then when fit 12-30 have an extra super low :)

LEE

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 09:43:07 am »
Better to start a Cotic thread dontcha think?

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:17 am »
Pictures will be provided ---presume I need them on Flickr ? then insert img/img function?

44/29 is low BUT if I run a 12-25 or 13-26, then lowest gear is same 34 / 29 and then when fit 12-30 have an extra super low :)

Yes regarding the pictures.

I considered gearing similar to yours (well, 46/29), but realised that I would run out at the top end sometimes. Now and then when I'm lucky I pick up a tractor or JCB on the road and if I'm quick can tuck in behind them. Typically they are doing 40-50kph and it is good to have the gears to be able to sit on them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dave_C

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:14 am »
Here is the stock Weekday with added mudguards on my commute home:

They have a few 3rd Gen fully built up X's in stock (54 & 58) for £150 off the normal price!!

https://www.cotic.co.uk/order/framebuilder/x/special

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 04:43:34 pm »
That`s really nice colour and great against Forth Bridge too

Here`s mine, VW Caravelle not included

[/url]
COTIC X-2 by jamesld8, on Flickr[/img]
[/url]
COTIC DRIVETRAIN by jamesld8, on Flickr[/img]

DON`T KNOW WHY pics need to be accessed via link ---sooorrryyy

LEE

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 05:01:24 pm »
This is a rubbish Croix de Fer thread.

Dave_C

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »
Sorry Paul, I'll shut up about 'those bikes' now...   :-X

James, can you point me to where you got those bolt on bottle cage mounts from please? I have a mini track pump which I am struggling to mount on another bike without sacrificing one of the cages and they look the business!! Cheers.

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 11:22:25 pm »
It's RoJ's thread. Haven't seen them complaining about the slight diversion.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 07:32:19 am »
Indeed; there are plenty other instances where threads on `buying advice etc` have taken a diversion off to illustrate alternatives. AND there are probably not enough Cotics out there to support a stand alone thread :P

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 01:42:05 pm »
Photos of mine will follow soonish.

Seemed very light and frisky when I picked it up 40min ago. luggage and tri bars seem to have converted it to a ton of bricks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dave_C

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:03 pm »
Photos of mine will follow soonish.

Seemed very light and frisky when I picked it up 40min ago. luggage and tri bars seem to have converted it to a ton of bricks.

Hmm I did that to my carbon bike, ~3kg??? bike with a 4kg Carradice Nelson. Wheelieing is easy (joke!!)  :thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »
Last night I took the tri-bars, bagman and nelson off my ribble and put in a bag to carry to work this morning. Bagman just has the usual LockPumpMultitoolPatchTubesTyreLeversSpareGlueBitsOfChainM5M4SetScrews in it.
The bag was so heavy I had to keep swapping arms when walking from the bus station to work.   ::-)

Looks more in proportion on the Croix than it did on the ribble.

One odd thing about the Croix frame is the height of the bottom bracket. I assumed that it would have a high BB, being nominally a CX bike. Seems not - the BB is nearly an inch lower than my Mercian.  This makes the whole bike look very small although the 52cm frame is pretty much the same as a 20" old-style horizontal top-tube bike.

With the fitted 8cm stem I think reach might be a tad short for me. Saddle has been moved 20mm back to allow for bagman. We will see.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 08:36:58 am »
Ok, only one ride so far, just 25miles home.

First impressions:

I got the right frame. It's very very smooth compared to riding my ribble, even with using tyres at the same pressures (and same model of tyre on the front). Bits of road where I'm being hammered on the ribble were just a bit bumpy. It will partly be due to longer stays (bike 'bucks' less) and mostly steel vs aluminium.

The stock saddle doesn't suit me. Too narrow under sitbones and far too hard, no give and no cutout. I'll fit the brooks from my Mercian and see how that feels; I'm not sure it will be ok when riding on tribars.

The gears are great. I've been a real sceptic of compact setups, but this to me seems spot on. Riding on the big ring gives me all the gears I need for my commute which means there is loads in reserve on the small ring. Lowest gear is a 32".

The bars are really wide and I thought I wouldn't like that. Nope they work really well and the extra width means there is some flat area left after the tribars are fitted.

UPDATE
Nearly a 1000 miles on the bike now I guess. I don't keep track but it's been at least 150miles a week.

Over my commute the Croix is faster than the Ribble. Slower on the smooth drag-strip bits of the A64, but much quicker on the rougher surfaces. About 2kph faster for the same effort; that's a huge difference.

The disc brakes are good - oddly there is a grab-grab feeling, just like you'd get from rim brakes with a distorted rim. I guess that could be disc contamination.

Headset keeps working loose, probably down to the extra load from the disc brakes; if I'm braking much harder, the forces on the headset must be greater.

Still hate the stock saddle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 10:38:58 pm »
mrcharly, what frame size have you gone for and how tall etc are you ?