Author Topic: Genesis Croix de Fer  (Read 53949 times)

Re: Genesis Croix de Fer
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2013, 12:13:53 am »
Saw a prototype Croix de Fer yesterday in 853 tubing with a pair of Whisky forks, gotta say it tempted me to switch to one if they launch it.

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2013, 08:51:36 am »
52cm frame - the smallest.

I'm 5'8" with short legs and long torso.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2013, 05:47:25 pm »
I take it you like the fit, what length stem do you have fitted and what sort of position do you have.

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 11:06:02 am »
yeah - I like the fit.

I'm using the stock stem - don't know length. I measured BB - seat tube (assuming horizontal top tube) and reach from a bike that fitted me.

I tend to ride with my forearms fairly parallel to the road when cruising (obviously sit up if doing social ride).  A couple of people on the Tan Hill ride commented on how comfortable I looked on the bike.

It has wide handlebars compared to my other bikes and I expected to hate them. The reverse is true and I'd fit wider bars again to any bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - a Pacific bike ride
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2013, 11:52:48 am »
If you want a new saddle and wide bars, I have bike stuff to get rid of before I move.  Would you like a Specialized Riva saddle and some 31.8mm 46cm drop bars gratis?

Trull

• The settee will kill you
    • Aberdeen Astronomical Society
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
Alternatively have you looked at Cotic X ? Very pleased with mine fitted up with BB5 discs / Exotic Carbon fork / Harry Rowlnds handbuilt Mavic Open Pros on Novatech Hubs with Campag groupset. A tad heavy @ 26 lb with full guards but runs well. Have ridden 200 & 300 km on it without any issues.
Around about £1200 build cost.
Comes now in a lovely bright green too :)

This is as near you`ll get to a pic at moment :

http://www.steveflemingphoto.com/8000756

HardKnott pass Fred Whitton in torrential rain (shock , horror a saddlebag on a sportive :) :)

Chortle - nice to see your saddlebag beasting the kid on the corner who is broken and in the verge! ...as one of my pals remarked, it was almost cruel to say hello to the kids on the 10TT but definitely cruel to offer them a gel from his barley as he overtook on his way home...

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 12:20:32 pm »
Saw a prototype Croix de Fer yesterday in 853 tubing with a pair of Whisky forks, gotta say it tempted me to switch to one if they launch it.

Called the Fugio - looks lovely! I'm tempted too... and it's available to order...  ;D

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »
Ordered......

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2013, 10:46:39 am »
I'm currently wibbling about pressing the spend button for a CdF frame.

I'm not sure if biggest size (60cm) will be big enough. I currently ride 61cm Bianchi road bike and 25" touring bike, but these both have top tubes parallel to the ground.

I'm less worried about the seat tube length as modern seat pins are long enough to get the saddle the right height, but about the handle bar height. I would prefer the bars to be a bit higher that the current bikes.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2013, 12:33:11 pm »

Called the Fugio - looks lovely! I'm tempted too... and it's available to order...  ;D
If it had horizontal dropouts I'd be all over that ... especially as there's a Genesis-shaped hole where my yellow Day One used to be.

Also, another sizing data point: my orange Day One is a 56cm frame - I'm 6'1" but have short legs for my height; both my Genesis MTBs (a Fortitude Adventure and a High Latitude SS) are 17.5" (smallest available)

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »

If it had horizontal dropouts I'd be all over that ... especially as there's a Genesis-shaped hole where my yellow Day One used to be.

Also, another sizing data point: my orange Day One is a 56cm frame - I'm 6'1" but have short legs for my height; both my Genesis MTBs (a Fortitude Adventure and a High Latitude SS) are 17.5" (smallest available)

I'm 6'1" also but have long legs my Genesis is the biggest they did!..

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »

But is it big enough? (I'm 6' 2" with long legs)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2013, 06:49:22 pm »
Therein lies the rub - being also long in the leg I realise that most modern sloping frames are just too small - off the peg choice is thus limited...

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2013, 10:53:47 am »

But is it big enough? (I'm 6' 2" with long legs)

Yes but I have added a stem extender for comfort

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 03:36:53 pm »
Is the Croix de Fer a suitable steed for audax then? What would be best a CdF or the Croix de Fer... The Fugio is out of the question... I had a look at the Croix today, it was nice, but so was the Equilibrium... confusing stuff this bike buying...

The other option would be to buy a frame only and build, no experience of building but, it would be either a Croix frame only or a Surly Pacer... Mmmm!  :-\
Setting sun -
pebbles cast long shadows
in the sand

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 03:50:05 pm »
Is the Croix de Fer a suitable steed for audax then?
It's a bike, so yes.

What would be best a CdF or the Croix de Fer...
General concensus is that the Croix de Fer is worth the extra money - http://road.cc/content/review/73063-genesis-croix-de-fer and http://road.cc/content/review/61480-genesis-cdf refer.

If I was in the market for a geared bike, it'd be somewhere near the top of the list.

LEE

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 03:56:31 pm »
I have the Genesis Day One Disc and it has convinced me that the Croix de fer would make an ideal "bike for all season/reasons" if I were in the market for one.

I think there are probably better bikes for specific functions but the Croix de fer seems to do a grand job of crossing over.

I know at least one Croix de Fer that did an Audax SR and PBP1200 (but Drew Buck has single-handedly made that an irrelevant test of a bike's credentials).

It's only when I jump on my bike with "normal" brakes that I realise how good BB7s are in winter.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2013, 04:00:10 pm »
I'm thinking of one as a "bike that does everything".  Or at least, a bike that does everything I want a bike to do.  If I do take the plunge I might have two pairs of wheels.

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:29 pm »
see, I tried a CDF and then bought a x-check because i preferred the way it rode - it felt more lively and rode 'lighter'.  Discs might be nice, but i've got this far without them and it's one less thing to worry about.. 

(I also hate straight forks)

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:12 pm »
Is the Croix de Fer a suitable steed for audax then?
It's a bike, so yes.

What would be best a CdF or the Croix de Fer...
General concensus is that the Croix de Fer is worth the extra money - http://road.cc/content/review/73063-genesis-croix-de-fer and http://road.cc/content/review/61480-genesis-cdf refer.

If I was in the market for a geared bike, it'd be somewhere near the top of the list.

Well, these critiques give the buyer no real option but to try and dig deeper for the Croix de Fer over the standard CdF, which is a lovely bike also and would fit my riding style equally...

I have never been one for running with the crowd, however, there are lots of coastal cycle paths and forest tracks around my general area, who says a DIY by GPS has to all be on a road... a 50 or 100k audax with a bit of forest and coastal track sounds possible, the Croix is looking favourite, however Mike has thrown a spanner into the works buy suggesting the surly cross check and then there is the shand stoater to think about...

And the Croix is black, must have taken the design team a millennia to work that one out... but a small thing...

Anyhoo, a good write up, i'll mull it over, pardon the pun...

Ta,

W.
Setting sun -
pebbles cast long shadows
in the sand

AAO

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2013, 11:03:10 pm »
Another spanner arriving in the works  :hand:

Consider the Giant Revolt 1 - it ticks all the "do it all" boxes and rides really well on all surfaces on the original tyres. Well considered gearing 10 speed 48/34 - 11/34. Fairly light - mine weighs 12.2 kilos with carrier, bag (with tubes/tool/pump) and pedals. Beautifully finished, comfy and, as far as I can tell, very robust.

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 08:29:35 am »
I'm wondering how the 931 will ride .... http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/adventure/croix-de-fer-931 if it were such a good idea to use 931, surely more would use it?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 09:01:13 am »
I'm wondering how the 931 will ride .... http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/adventure/croix-de-fer-931 if it were such a good idea to use 931, surely more would use it?

From what I understand 931 is 1) EXPENSIVE and 2) difficult to work with, which are probably more deciding factors than the ride quality (IIRC Feather use 931 and other 9- tubing for their bikes)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:13 am »

From what I understand 931 is 1) EXPENSIVE and 2) difficult to work with, which are probably more deciding factors than the ride quality (IIRC Feather use 931 and other 9- tubing for their bikes)

But oh so pretty. <Drool>

Actually the complete bike doesn't seem bad VFM. Just a whisker under £2k - comparable to a similarly-specced bike with a custom 725 (or similar) frame.  Still expensive. But PRETTY.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 11:35:51 am »
As I understand it (and I'm no expert) the main advantage of 931 is that it gives all the advantages of steel but doesn't rust as it is effectively stainless.  I would favour it over Ti as I am worried by the number of reports I read of Ti frames cracking.

But my knowledge of such matters is limited so I could be talking bollocks.