Author Topic: Genesis Croix de Fer  (Read 48546 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Genesis Croix de Fer
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2017, 12:20:08 pm »
Any   views on a Tour De  Fer  as opposed  to Croix De Der... Other than one  will have mudguards and a rack.
The TDF has touring racks, has a proper touring triple chainset (giving a 32/30 rear/front ratio) which is a bit, better than the stock CDF double for general riding. Only just low enough for touring but at least it gives a range of lowish gears for laden hill riding. Would have been better with a 34 on the back or 26 on the front (best setup ever was 46 36 26 on front, IMO).

TRP Spyre-C cable brakes rather than hydraulics

Heavy duty rims and marathon tyres.

So it is 'proper' touring bike.

There are loads of CDF models now; it gets well confusing.
I saw a TDF of Sunday and was able to do a side-by-side comparison. The key frame difference is that the chain stays are longer on the Tour de Fer, giving more foot/pannier clearance and probably a more comfortable ride.
(NB. No point in comparing components, as mine was built up from a bare frame.)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2017, 12:47:45 pm »

The TDF has ... a proper touring triple chainset (giving a 32/30 rear/front ratio) which is a bit, better than the stock CDF double for general riding. Only just low enough for touring but at least it gives a range of lowish gears for laden hill riding. Would have been better with a 34 on the back or 26 on the front (best setup ever was 46 36 26 on front, IMO).

Somewhere recently (perhaps even on here) I saw a Wolf Tooth hanger extender.  This displaces the rear mech sufficiently to allow larger sprockets than standard to be fitted - up to 40T I believe, using a medium cage Shimano mech.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Wolf-Tooth-Components/Road-Link-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger/DOQG?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-7S0sOb-1QIVWc-yCh1U6gvMEAQYASABEgIGa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It may well be something I look at for my next build.
That's an interesting device, but it won't help to increase tooth capacity.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2017, 12:51:08 pm »
Somewhere recently (perhaps even on here) I saw a Wolf Tooth hanger extender.  This displaces the rear mech sufficiently to allow larger sprockets than standard to be fitted - up to 40T I believe, using a medium cage Shimano mech.

Wolf Tooth also do the Tanpan, which allows you do use a mountain bike rear mech with 11 speed road shifters. Might be a neater option if building from scratch, and you get bonus clutched derailleur goodness. I plan to use one or the other of these in my next bike.

edit: @mrcharly - Tanpan also means you can use derailleurs which officially have the capacity for big cassettes with a double. Latest Ultegra RD has 39T capacity already though, which is quite decent. I'm thinking I'll run 34/46 up front with 11-40 out back, so that's only 2 teeth over.

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »
Any   views on a Tour De  Fer  as opposed  to Croix De Der... Other than one  will have mudguards and a rack.
The TDF has touring racks, has a proper touring triple chainset (giving a 32/30 rear/front ratio) which is a bit, better than the stock CDF double for general riding. Only just low enough for touring but at least it gives a range of lowish gears for laden hill riding. Would have been better with a 34 on the back or 26 on the front (best setup ever was 46 36 26 on front, IMO).

I saw a TDF of Sunday and was able to do a side-by-side comparison. The key frame difference is that the chain stays are longer on the Tour de Fer, giving more foot/pannier clearance and probably a more comfortable ride.

Yeah I haven't compared components as I built my CDF into a touring bike with most of the parts available on the TDF anyway including a triple groupset.

The CDF isn't exactly uncomfortable. I spent 67 hours on mine over 880km last month and could still walk at the end (not all at once it was about 50km a day). My heels didn't hit the panniers once either.

Horses for courses but I think Genesis thought they were missing a market group so built one for the sake of it.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2017, 07:21:35 am »

My 52cm CdF has Toe Clip Overlap without mudguards, for touring I would be looking for a bike with mudguards and no TCO, especially when toiling up steep hills with a loaded bike.

If the TdF has the same geometry as the CdF at the front then I would avoid.

« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:18 pm »
You must have huge feet and a strange foot position. I have a 52cm cdf, mudguards fitted, and the guards aren't anywhere near my toes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2017, 07:37:41 am »
You must have huge feet and a strange foot position. I have a 52cm cdf, mudguards fitted, and the guards aren't anywhere near my toes.

I wear size 42 shoes (43 in Shimano) and SPD cleats forward of centre; 170mm cranks.  The tyres are 35mm Conti Cyclocross Speeds which are quite voluminous and good for paths and tracks, maybe they are a contributing factor but not that much.

P.S. My CdF has the carbon fork which may be a different rake to the steel forks? Seems unlikely but you never know.

« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2018, 09:37:42 pm »
Anyone have any more feedback on these?  I'm looking at the latest model which seems to address some of the issues mentioned.

Brakes are BB7
Frame is black

Watches thread with interest. I keep looking at the Fairlight Faran which seems to tick very similar boxes, and doesn’t come in white.

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2018, 12:28:49 pm »
You might be watching for a while, this thread doesn't get updated very often
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2018, 02:17:58 pm »
You might be watching for a while, this thread doesn't get updated very often

Good spot.  I live in hope ::-)
I also need to save a lot of pennies so I have plenty of time for more posts to drop in....