Author Topic: So, what's your audax kit/setup?  (Read 72621 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: So, what's your audax kit/setup?
« Reply #50 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:22:26 am »
I've read mixed reviews on those powerchimps. They seem like a good idea though.

when asked how his powermonkey is performing, one rider on lel replied that it's more monkey than power ;D maybe they are good, but in my eyes - an additional point of failure.

« Reply #51 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:24:21 am »
I've read mixed reviews on those powerchimps. They seem like a good idea though.

when asked how his powermonkey is performing, one rider on lel replied that it's more monkey than power ;D maybe they are good, but in my eyes - an additional point of failure.

I have to say that my Dahon Reecharge might look fugly but it does work very well. I like the idea that I could go touring indefinitely and never have to worry about how to charge up my phone and stuff, and not need batteries either  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:27:12 am »
There are strong signs of very slipshod preparation here - I can't believe noone has mentioned their valve caps.  :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #53 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:59:48 am »
There are strong signs of very slipshod preparation here - I can't believe noone has mentioned their valve caps.  :(

My best bike has transparent schwalbe valve caps.  And those stupid round valve "nuts" are not fitted.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #54 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:04:12 pm »

Ohh If you really really would like to know it : Yellow Continental caps or just standard black ones.
I'm not the weight weenie type that ride without them  ;) like I was in the past :-[

Alouicious

« Reply #55 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:06:01 pm »

My best bike has transparent schwalbe valve caps.  And those stupid round valve "nuts" are not fitted.

My valve caps are so transparent, they cannot be seen with the human eye.

Some of those 'stupid' valve nut thingies have a shoulder turned on them. These are useful to align Presta valves in a Schrader size drilling.

Alouicious

« Reply #56 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:10:43 pm »

Ohh If you really really would like to know it : Yellow Continental caps or just standard black ones.
I'm not the weight weenie type that ride without them  ;) like I was in the past :-[

The yellow cap indicates the tube has a minor defect and Continental sell them off cheap to mass purchasers like Ribble.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #57 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:13:38 pm »
Valve caps are just additional rotational weight that serve very little purpose. I'm not just saying that because I always forget to replace mine after fixing a puncture.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Alouicious

« Reply #58 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:20:28 pm »
I must admit. I have a 'baccy tin full of the yellow valve caps from my bulk purchases from Ribble.

I keep a seperate collection of black ones to use on the bike so I don't look a cheapskate.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #59 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:26:42 pm »
... valve caps...
..yawn...
zzzzz...

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #60 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:24:41 pm »
I expect the OP has wandered off, now he's seen three pages of varying Audax set-ups, but I can't resist joining in.

Bike: Genesis Day 06, Tiagra Triple - 52-42-30, with 11-28 cassette
Carradice Nelson Longflap, containing:
Multitool, chain splitter (even though I don't know how to use it), tyre levers, 2 spare inners, cable lock, lightweight rain jacket (Ron Hill, with integral hood), 2 x energy gels just in case, probably an apple and 2 x bananas, spare buff, wallet, car keys, routesheet as backup, Assos botty cream, several spare rechargeable batteries
Cateye Wireless Speedo
Garmin Etrex Vista Cx (when I don't leave it at home)
Shimano dyno hub driving B&M Cyo at front, and two Smart 0.5w flashing strobe rears (turned to steady in company)
25c Conti Gatorskin tyres, and curently a Mk1 Crudroad racer, because the Mk2 I am still trying to fettle onto the bike. No mudguard extensions. I feel like a pariah, sometimes.
Mobile phone in jersey pocket
Long frame pump attached below top tube
Tesco head torch attached to helmet for illuminating road signs at night
Oh, and polished black valve caps all round, of course.  8)

Lycra Man

Alouicious

« Reply #61 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:48:49 pm »
My mobile phone is inside a Rudy Project Specs soft pouch, inside an 'Animal' logoed neoprene pencil case ( from WH Smith ), which slips in my back pocket.

Also inside the Rudy Project Specs soft pouch is a little packet of silica gel from a camera carton.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #62 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:35:16 pm »

My valve caps are so transparent, they cannot be seen with the human eye.

Some of those 'stupid' valve nut thingies have a shoulder turned on them. These are useful to align Presta valves in a Schrader size drilling.

Aaah, that's what those ones are for!!!!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #63 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:20:56 pm »
'05 Spesh Allez, basic (8 spd. Sora/Tiagra mix) model but upgraded with new wheels (open sport rims/105 hubs) and brakes (Ultegra). Armadillos.

Other gear: Dinotte up front, Superflash on the back, raceblades, routecard attached to stem/bars using a bit of card/ electrical tape- sometimes ziploc bag for rain protection.

Seatpack with tools and stuff. Pockets full of food. Cycling cap.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #64 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:08:28 pm »
Full audax set up comprises:
Orbit Ventura weighing in at 13.6kg with all the below except saddlebag and contents.
Time ATAC pedals.
Sigma wired computer
Brooks B17
Conti Touring Plus 28c rear
Panracer Pasela TG 28c front
Polaris routesheet holder mounted on Spacesaver bar extender
Blackburn micropump mounted on one of the 2 bottle cages.
Cateye EL530 underslung, Cateye EL220 on top to give residual light to routesheet and computer, 2 rear lights, one on Carradice one on seatstay.
Nelson Longflap with Bagman QR, containing kitchen sink, Gill goretex jacket (heavier than most but well ventilated), spare batteries, spare tube, levers, multitool, handwash, spare gloves, arm / leg warmers if not worn. Reflective gilet. Goretex trousers. Overshoes. 2 x gels. Soft white rolls x 4 with chicken, flapjack. Jelly babies.

Glad I've written this lot out because it's a ridiculous amount to cart around.
Mojo is being awakened.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 23 March, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »
Doncha love Audaxers:
 Cateye EL220 on top to give residual light to routesheet and computer
2 x gels. Soft white rolls x 4 with chicken, flapjack. Jelly babies.

route sheet somewhere in a back pocket
no food ever

!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #66 on: 23 March, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »
Doncha love Audaxers:
 Cateye EL220 on top to give residual light to routesheet and computer
2 x gels. Soft white rolls x 4 with chicken, flapjack. Jelly babies.

route sheet somewhere in a back pocket
no food ever

!

LMFAO!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #67 on: 23 March, 2011, 10:50:30 pm »
A bike - A Roberts Audax with some gears and all that stuff
Schmidt dynohub with an Edelux of some sort
A couple of LED battery lights as back up hanging off the bars
Toplight and a LED light on the back
A computer that doesn't work
Route sheet holder
Rackpack, either Carradice or Trek depending on mood, with some extra clothes/layers if it's anything over 200, emergency tools and a couple of energy bars for when I get desperate
Map of the general area in which I'm riding in case I get fed up and need to find a railway station
Money, ID, phone (switched off)
Pen

Er... that's it

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

The Mechanic

« Reply #68 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:02:49 pm »
Hummer multitool

The mind boggles..

Topeak Hummer multitool.  It is now call the Hexus but is the same.  Doesn't take much to boggle your mind does it?

« Reply #69 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:08:32 pm »
Hummer multitool

The mind boggles..

Topeak Hummer multitool.  It is now call the Hexus but is the same.  Doesn't take much to boggle your mind does it?

How many root vegetables does it have on it?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #70 on: 26 March, 2011, 02:11:22 am »
Charge Juicer Black Large (approx 58cm) Tiagra Triple 50/42/30, with 11-28 cassette
Carradice Nelson Longflap, containing:
Multitool, tyre levers, 2 spare inners, Cable ties galore, Elastic bands
Mavic rain jacket in Acid Yellow, buff, wallet, spare routesheet, Assos chamois cream,
Spare lights and batteries (2 x cateye 610 rear, 2 x SMART front)
Shimano DH 3N80 powering a Schmidt edelux and a B+M toplight
25c Schwalbe Marathon Durano (can be uncomfortable on Irish roads but I'll live)
Long frame pump either velcro strapped to the top tube or just jammed into the bag
2euro head torch for reading routesheet at night
2 elite steel bottle cages because they match the colour of my bike
Bottle of Lucozade and aload of Ambrosia/Nutri Grain Elevenses and a small coffee flask

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #71 on: 26 March, 2011, 10:03:42 am »
I'm still doing the learning curve but have realised that a number of factors affect the amount I carry.
weather
daylight or darkness or both
facilities on route

I am currently considering what to take on a 300km audax.So far the luggage I can justify to myself is very little less than I carried on my E2E*
 I think I'll have to half it & half it again.**

*after 4 days
** did this on days 2 & 4

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #72 on: 26 March, 2011, 11:04:56 am »
I have this

Carradice of Nelson - bike bags, saddle bags and waterproof panniers

which will contain......
money/creditdebit card & AUK CTC YHA membership cards
part-roll bogpaper
3 tyre levers,glue & patches
multi-tool
swiss army knife
2 spare inner tubes
space blanket
whistle
zip ties
pencil
2 front lights**
a red flashing LED fitted externally at the rear
spare batteries
3 buffs*
sealsinz waterproof gloves*
montane feathelite windproof*
mitts*
silk gloves*
arm warmers*
leg warmers*
polaris windproof overshoes*
a Barber waterproof baseball cap*

* several of these itmes will be worn during the ride & possibly all of it depending on the weather
**fitted to handlebars at dusk

this bag will sit on a pannier rack with one of these

Cateye  - Tl-ld1100 - Tl-ld1100

fitted at the rear

a Topeak tri-bag on the cross bar/stem containing snack bars.
an HPX frame pump
bottle cage on seat tube

all attached to a 1986 Longstaff steel frame  tourer,drop bars with lots of gel pads & black bar tape,downtube shifters,marathon tyres,mudgaurds,Brooks ti-rails Swallow,a 5 function cateye computer,a Polaris maptrap,clipless pedals,a shimano dyno-hub & B&M Pilot front light.

I'm going to ride a 100km audax tomorrow on this set up as a trial run wearing Shimano sandals:of the several pairs/types of footwear I have these seem to be least likely to give aching balls..balls of my feet that is.

ETA..I shall expect to add additional jersey at least for night riding

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #73 on: 26 March, 2011, 02:02:09 pm »
Right here we go----
Alloy frame,carbon fork.
Carbon seat £400.
Light race wheels.which I am too heavy for.
28mm tyres.bigger tyres have less resistance for same wieght.
Useable gears 28- 46 and 11-34.
46 to 11 can be pedaled up to 42mph.
Rear aero bag.Slower without it.
Hope light. Not found rear yet that holds out water.
Tools and tubes.
Usaully winter boots over shoes and Mycoal foot warmers.
Usually winter climbing tops like Buffalo.
Cut down flasher raincoat ,boil in bag.
Aero ron hills and flease hat,Black high viz.
Sandwiches and cheey buiscits.
Phone for radio.
Kinfe for killing game.
Money for stella?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #74 on: 26 March, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »
my "Brisk Long Day Ride"1 setup will probably be my 2005 Lemond Etape racing bike, alu frame and carbon fork.
Bontrager Select Wheels with 700x23 Bontrager race x lite hardcase tires
Crud catcher MK2 on the rear, Crud catcher MK1 on the front fork (not enough clearance under the front brake for MK2s)
Ritchey comp saddle
Carradice Barley saddlebag for tools, grub, spare clothing and tubes.

my "Pootle Long Day Ride"2 setup will be my 2008 Dawes Horizon, stock wheels and kit, Brooks B17 with Carradice Barley saddlebag (which will be replaced with a camper longflap for touring)

:)

1I tend to do just my own thing rather than official audaxes / sportives. At the end of the day it's just about getting out on a bike!  ;D
2As above but a slower pace and a camera in my saddlebag to take photies o' the scenery.