Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 182044 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1225 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:38 am »
There were secret controls on Mille Cymru last year.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1226 on: February 09, 2019, 09:03:41 am »
Secret controls used to be quite common in AUK brevets last century.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1227 on: February 09, 2019, 01:31:09 pm »
Secret controls used to be quite common in AUK brevets last century.

Indeed they did 'in my day', when routes were mandatory and secret controls were used to maintain integrity. AIUI the Event Secretary could demand either an information or Secret Control for this.

Some Secret Controls were pretty large roadside refreshment stops you could hardly miss if you were awake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #1228 on: February 09, 2019, 11:44:11 pm »
I didn't realize AUK brevets used to have mandatory routes. When did they stop being mandatory and why?
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #1229 on: February 10, 2019, 11:19:44 am »
They stopped some years ago - around the turn of the millennium I think, though it was before my time ...

I understand that at least one reason was (possibly misplaced) concern about insurance in the event of an incident, in that a mandatory route might open the organiser to liability if it was argued that they had not sufficiently exercised their duty of care, whereas advisory-only routes might be more supportive of the notion that everyone is on an independent excursion and has done their own due diligence over the route they have chosen.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1230 on: February 10, 2019, 11:25:45 am »
That has a logic to it, though taken further could argue against route sheets (whether printed, electronic or whatever). Possibly (this has just occurred to me this second) you could argue that mandatory routes are contrary to "the spirit of self-sufficiency".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1231 on: February 10, 2019, 11:28:45 am »
AUK is the only randonneuring organisation with advisory routes. Self-sufficiency can be taken a little too far. Don't forget to knit your own bike frame and collect your own rainwater.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1232 on: February 10, 2019, 11:41:03 am »
Well, I know three randonneurs who've made their own frames,* but none of them has produced the raw materials themselves. (Yes, I know the self-sufficiency argument is specious, but it just popped into my head at that moment.)

*About eight frames in total between the three of them, though definitely not all used on audaxes (or used by audaxeurs – some have been made for eg family members).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1233 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:01 am »
When did they stop being mandatory and why?

The alteration in the Regs was in November 1999. 
The 'why' is unclear since there is no record of any discussion around the topic, at that time.  I think it was simple recognition of what was becoming normal custom & practice.  Secret controls, which had been commonplace during most events, were becoming increasingly rare as events tended to be run by individuals rather than clubs, and were understaffed as a result.  Riders recognising this were starting to make their own route choices.
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."

« Reply #1234 on: February 18, 2019, 12:07:32 pm »
It is better to let DIY/ECE organisers know you DNS/DNF'ed an entry, or does that just add to noise in their inbox?

« Reply #1235 on: February 18, 2019, 03:24:00 pm »
Yes, better to let us know (that's my view as a DIY Org, anyway). Otherwise I might spend time searching for a track I think I might have mislaid, or emailing riders to check what happened. So the extra "noise" is better than unfathomed silence.

Thanks!

Tony