Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 225257 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2650 on: July 21, 2020, 08:22:12 pm »
GN: my boy and his partner is moving to the Angles after a several of years in THAT LONDON
MGN: they are looting, at least initially, for a home in our town.
BN: any nebulous plans we have to run away from brexit to Scotlandland are now put on hold.

BN: we still have Brexshit in Scotlandland
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2651 on: July 21, 2020, 08:41:28 pm »
Looting or looking?

« Reply #2652 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:48 pm »
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

« Reply #2653 on: July 21, 2020, 09:22:21 pm »
GN: my boy and his partner is moving to the Angles after a several of years in THAT LONDON
MGN: they are looting, at least initially, for a home in our town.
BN: any nebulous plans we have to run away from brexit to Scotlandland are now put on hold.

BN: we still have Brexshit in Scotlandland
Yes, but there is a concerted effort by the devolved leadership to try and minimise the impact, unlike the tosses in Westminster.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2654 on: July 21, 2020, 09:25:34 pm »
Come, and bring your offspring too and agitate for a Yes vote then :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2655 on: July 21, 2020, 10:06:30 pm »
What currency are you planning? Do I need to start investing in haggis, neeps, and tatties future?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2656 on: July 22, 2020, 12:57:25 am »
Is there still support for a "Coalition of the Sane" in That Scotland, viz. Scotland, Canada & New Zealand?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2657 on: July 27, 2020, 12:11:56 pm »
BN: I bought a macbook air for work 2 months ago. It was awful - couldn't cope with video calls without the noisy fan kicking in, really slow switching between apps, laggy in excel and powerpoint.  Phone support was well meaning but didn't actually change anything.

GN: Went into the apple store over the weekend and within 5 mins of talking through the problem she agreed it wasn't working out for me the way it should be and swapped it for a macbook pro completely free, even though it cost about 300 quid more.   She did all the data transfer too. It's been great on this mornings video calls and havent heard the fan once yet.

I suspect there are 'known issues' with the noise of the fan of the Air, so worth a trip to the store if you're suffering too!

« Reply #2658 on: July 27, 2020, 12:23:21 pm »
Sounds like a result  :thumbsup:
I've had a Macbook Air since January or thereabouts.
Can't say that I've noticed any noisy fan problems - but I don't use it for video-con - or any of the other problems you've mentioned.
Maybe they'd sold you a Friday afternoon model.
Nice to get the upgrade thobut.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2659 on: July 27, 2020, 01:12:05 pm »
My MacBook Air was really noisy fanwise in the heatwave at the end of June but has been quiet since.
David replaced the dead hard drive in his old iMac over the weekend. This was supplied with a trial version of some temperature regulating software, which ran for a whole 60 minutes before expiring, causing fans to roar.
Machine went silent after software payment had reactivated program.

« Reply #2660 on: July 27, 2020, 02:02:46 pm »
I suspect there are 'known issues' with the noise of the fan of the Air, so worth a trip to the store if you're suffering too!

Interesting. What spec was yours? Mine is the i5 and seems to cope with everything pretty well, certainly no noticeable lag. However, Teams does get the fan going, but not alarmingly so.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #2661 on: July 29, 2020, 09:39:15 am »
The only thing that ever makes fans audible in my Mac laptops is video conferencing or the late unlamented Flash. It really needs something to get CPUs up to 100% for a while. My office gets up into the 30s on hot days.

If the fans are running all the time, it sounds like a controller fault (sometimes resetting it does the job). But generally, you shouldn't hear the fans in a Mac, silences is one of the pleasures of the modern Apple world.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #2662 on: July 29, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »

Interesting. What spec was yours? Mine is the i5 and seems to cope with everything pretty well, certainly no noticeable lag. However, Teams does get the fan going, but not alarmingly so.

it was the i5, 16GB so should have been fine, perhaps it was a Friday special.   Either way, the pro is awesome :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2663 on: July 31, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »
Hurrah: newly-acquired fondleslab is set up :thumbsup:

Bah: the keyboard layout is different from the old one so I can't find the "[" or "~" keys any more >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime