Linked Events

• Friday Night ride to Tan Hill: 01 July, 2011

Author Topic: Friday Night ride to Tan Hill, July 1st 2011  (Read 114542 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Friday Night ride to Tan Hill, July 1st 2011
« Reply #850 on: 05 July, 2011, 06:22:07 pm »
The climb was exactly what I been told to expect:gradual & very long with a couple of "f88ck me" wall-like blips.What was not expected was a 60 minute exposure to so much sun & heat giving a gradual  slightly roasted jogler result.The last climb immediatley prior the Inn was a bit of challenge.

I was admittedly over-sensitised to gradients due to the combination of heavy bike, continuing lack of fitness and agonising knee pain (on both sides from about Reeth), but I maintain that anyone saying 'long and gradual' must have taken another route up some completely different hill or something.  Pen-y-Pass is long and gradual; Arkengarthdale is a sodding backwards roller-coaster!  Every time we gained some useful amount of elevation, we'd find ourselves going down again and lose almost but not quite all of it.  Certainly not stick-it-in-the-19"-gear-and-twiddle territory.

Most of the "'f88ck me' blips" I managed to carry a decent amount of momentum into, so managed to avoid any getting-off-and-pushing or anything silly like that.

The final push up to the pub didn't bother me, as I could see the pub on the GPS and knew that as long as I could stay awake[1] for a couple more minutes, it was - and I quote - "downhill all the way to Darlington".

I never imagined that riding up a hill could be enjoyable.This is only the second hill I've ever ridden up that I would choose to do again.

I'd probably be inclined to agree with you if I hadn't struggled so much.  The view was utterly fantastic.

[1] Heat, pain, allergies and the effects of the various drugs I was using to manage them were making it surprisingly difficult to keep my eyes open.  I had to get off and have a lie down in the shade of a sheep (which unhelpfully ran off) at one point.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #851 on: 05 July, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »
I particularly cherish the "Yes, I am mad" explanation to the hikers and the "Death grip" comment when we re-grouped at the end of the track  :thumbsup:
Understatement, you haz it !

I keep forgetting to say: it occurred to me that there's a sort of Ballmer Peak for recumbent offroading; where just the right combination of opiates and antihistamines slows down your higher thought processes to the point where you only really appreciate the true terror of the shark infested potholes, boulders the size of your front wheel, suicide-sheep, sudden drops into very rocky looking wet stuff, swathes of death gravel and so on after you've negotiated them.  And yet your reaction time is still quick enough to do the Right Thing when you start to lose traction.  Too much and you'll use your remaining sense to get off and walk.  Too little and there's a high risk that you'll wuss out at the last moment, hit the brakes too late and Nothing will happen.

I hope never to reproduce this effect again.   :D

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #852 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:52:18 pm »

Every time I look at this picture, it makes me think of the beginning of Reservoir Dogs.  It's just instead of black suits and ties, we've got brightly coloured lycra on and instead of robbing a bank, we're just trying to get a late breakfast at the Tan Hill Inn, which is harder than it sounds.

I couldn't decide if the abuse some of us got from the landlady was meant to be Yorkshire humour, or if it's just that they can afford to Fawlty Towers it to the max, because it's not like you can nip to the pub next door for a drink.  You pretty much have to let them speak to you however they like, cos they're the ones with the beer and the food and you're on top of a bloody big hill needing some of it. 
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #853 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:14:16 pm »

I keep forgetting to say: it occurred to me that there's a sort of Ballmer Peak for recumbent offroading; where just the right combination of opiates and antihistamines slows down your higher thought processes to the point where you only really appreciate the true terror of the shark infested potholes, boulders the size of your front wheel, suicide-sheep, sudden drops into very rocky looking wet stuff, swathes of death gravel and so on after you've negotiated them.  And yet your reaction time is still quick enough to do the Right Thing when you start to lose traction.  Too much and you'll use your remaining sense to get off and walk.  Too little and there's a high risk that you'll wuss out at the last moment, hit the brakes too late and Nothing will happen.

I hope never to reproduce this effect again.   :D
That explains my awesome[1] traverse of Salisbury Plain Military Road during 2010's Solstice Warty.  I couldn't find TimO's post (must've been on another thread) about how utterly brilliant I was.

It's the combination of l33t 'bent skillz, antihistamines and sleep deprivation.  We haz them.

[1]: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32300.msg650285#msg650285
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #854 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:20:50 pm »
You pretty much have to let them speak to you however they like, cos they're the ones with the beer and the food and you're on top of a bloody big hill needing some of it. 
I used to work in the Wasdale Head Inn (which is about as remote as Tan Hill).

They are miserable sods because they can get away with it, IMO.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #855 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »

Every time I look at this picture, it makes me think of the beginning of Reservoir Dogs.  It's just instead of black suits and ties, we've got brightly coloured lycra on and instead of robbing a bank, we're just trying to get a late breakfast at the Tan Hill Inn, which is harder than it sounds.

I couldn't decide if the abuse some of us got from the landlady was meant to be Yorkshire humour, or if it's just that they can afford to Fawlty Towers it to the max, because it's not like you can nip to the pub next door for a drink.  You pretty much have to let them speak to you however they like, cos they're the ones with the beer and the food and you're on top of a bloody big hill needing some of it. 

You missed out the rest of us, looking kinda glum, and SlowCoach doing...something.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #856 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »

Every time I look at this picture, it makes me think of the beginning of Reservoir Dogs. 
Mr Blue & Mr Yellow didn't quite get the "Dark Glasses" message.
 :-[

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #857 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:31:22 pm »

Every time I look at this picture, it makes me think of the beginning of Reservoir Dogs. 

Nothing that a little bit of Photoshoppage won't fix ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #858 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:33:06 pm »
The woman I took to be the landlady told me she came from Staines. Is that not Ali G country?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #859 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:36:00 pm »

Up across the fiddly technical bits, and down the fun road route?  That sounds like the basis of a plan... and probably the sort that would be ruined by using a appropriately sensible bike.   :thumbsup:

That does sound like a good idea.
Fun ( :o) though the Sleightholme track was, I would have liked to hurtle down the tarmac towards Reeth.
Having said that, I set a new Vmax of 42mph on the light bike on the way back.
Edit for stupidity: It wasn't on the track  ;)

« Reply #860 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:37:02 pm »
Blimey.  I hit 45 mph just after the pub, and it would have been more if it hadn't been for that pesky motorhome.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #861 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:39:41 pm »
I don't think I had it above 40 all day...

« Reply #862 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:08:55 pm »
Blimey.  I hit 45 mph just after the pub, and it would have been more if it hadn't been for that pesky motorhome.

See above
Ooops  :-[

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #863 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:14:14 pm »
I didn't score a particularly high Vmax, but the chain-gang bash from Barnard's Star Castle to Darlington Bank Top was the highest Vbar (gwan, someone suggest how I do a horizontal over-line!) over that kind of distance that I've ever had the pleasure of directing & being part of.

« Reply #864 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:41:34 pm »
but the chain-gang bash from Barnard's Star Castle to Darlington Bank Top was the highest Vbar (gwan, someone suggest how I do a horizontal over-line!) over that kind of distance that I've ever had the pleasure of directing & being part of.

I think it was the part that I enjoyed most as well (which is praise indeed considering how fantastic everything else was  :thumbsup:).

PS; what's a Vbar ?  :-[

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #865 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:34:02 am »

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #866 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:59:02 am »
PS; what's a Vbar ?
Bar (i.e. a horizontal line above a quantity) is one of the recognised maths abbrevs for "average".

« Reply #867 on: 06 July, 2011, 09:22:35 am »
PS; what's a Vbar ?
Bar (i.e. a horizontal line above a quantity) is one of the recognised maths abbrevs for "average".

Thanks  :thumbsup:
I guessed that but it's not a term that I'd ever come across before.

« Reply #868 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:51:14 am »
I didn't score a particularly high Vmax, but the chain-gang bash from Barnard's Star Castle to Darlington Bank Top was the highest Vbar (gwan, someone suggest how I do a horizontal over-line!) over that kind of distance that I've ever had the pleasure of directing & being part of.

I was very aware of the time and the need to get Doosh to the railway station. I was busting for a 'hedge stop' but didn't want to slow the group down. The pace was therefore partly to get Doosh to his train and partly my need for the bog.
In the end the Black Sheep would be out and I dropped off the group, inspected the local flora and was just able to re join as you were approaching the station forecourt. I don't think we could have cut it any closer. A damn good ride. :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #869 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:07:40 am »

StandingAroundCropped-shopped by interzen, on Flickr

There ya go ... (it's only a quickie)

« Reply #870 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:24:01 am »

I was very aware of the time and the need to get Doosh to the railway station. I was busting for a 'hedge stop' but didn't want to slow the group down. The pace was therefore partly to get Doosh to his train and partly my need for the bog.
In the end the Black Sheep would be out and I dropped off the group, inspected the local flora and was just able to re join as you were approaching the station forecourt. I don't think we could have cut it any closer. A damn good ride. :thumbsup:

I think you did a really good job of judging the pace - which is hard to do from the front - any slower and Doosh would have missed the train. Any faster and several of us would have been dropped.

It has made me painfully aware that while I can keep up evens for 20miles on occasion, I can't do anywhere near that after 80miles are in my legs.  Of course, I was always 2nd from last in the sack race on school sports day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #871 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:38:46 am »
It was just at the sort of pace where I start to really feel the weight of the Jalopy, hence my pondering lighter/faster rolling tyres or whether it's not worth the expense. At around 15mph it's pretty easy to keep it moving along, but when you get to 17/18+ it gets tough, which is why I grovelled into Darlo station breathing through my rear  :-[

« Reply #872 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:24:14 pm »
It was just at the sort of pace where I start to really feel the weight of the Jalopy, hence my pondering lighter/faster rolling tyres or whether it's not worth the expense. At around 15mph it's pretty easy to keep it moving along, but when you get to 17/18+ it gets tough, which is why I grovelled into Darlo station breathing through my rear  :-[

I, too, have frequent thoughts about bike weight and tyres, etc.  But I think your bike is very cool.  How often are you going to need to travel that fast?

Great to meet you!

« Reply #873 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:30:08 pm »
Likewise good to meet you Peter, you kept me plenty amused throughout the ride!!

When I'm only commuting around and nipping here and there on short trips I do like to crack on, which is why I'm always pondering the tyres. With the tubes though it's a £50 touch, I only paid £90 for the whole bike  :facepalm:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #874 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:34:14 pm »
I'd say save your dosh til you've worn 'em out, then think about it.  And anyway, if you're able for pootling along at that speed, how come I still had cake to carry and you had none!?!?!