Author Topic: York Rally 2011  (Read 30684 times)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
York Rally 2011
« on: 20 April, 2011, 02:19:28 pm »
Just a check, having searched for it on the site: anyone off to it this year?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: York Rally 2011
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »
I am going to try and make it - but I can't guarantee anything.  It will depend on work commitments.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:24:14 pm »
I probably should, given that I only live 3 miles from the Racecourse.
Whether I actually do or not is another matter entirely. I'll decide nearer the time.

EDIT: I normally get roped in to doing some stewarding, which isn't so bad providing I get a bit of 'off time' to go and do other things. Sadly, this doesn't always happen.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:31:05 pm »
Well, I have now booked the time off and bought the train tickets. Up on Friday, back on Monday.

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:35:20 pm »
Brill, I'll be dropping by sometime (I live even closer than interzen).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »
Whether I actually do or not is another matter entirely. I'll decide nearer the time.
I probably should, given that I only live 100 yards from the racecourse  :P

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:37:34 pm »
I think we have a winner ...

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:43:45 pm »
Mevves.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:45:33 pm »
This was discussed last night, and I intend to go, most definately with TLD, and hopefully with Mrs T, all en velo.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tourist Tony

« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:46:42 pm »
Fox and Roman side, or Knavesmire Arms side?*

*I use traditional navigation techniques

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:53:40 pm »
We will most likely be absent this year for the first time in long time :(

« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »
For those contemplating travel with kinders, if the rally turns out to be a tad damp and child-unfriendly, I have a child-friendly house 15minutes walk away.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »
I might go - what dates is it? 25th-26th June Might bring #2 son as he hasn't been to the rally before. Maybe do the railway museum on the Saturday.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:18:59 pm »
We will most likely be absent this year for the first time in long time :(

I mightn't bother then :(

Hilldodger

« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:25:47 pm »
Nope. will be earning a shed load of money in London instead :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:31:01 pm »
I might go - what dates is it? 25th-26th June Might bring #2 son as he hasn't been to the rally before. Maybe do the railway museum on the Saturday.

..d

I'll be 300 miles away that weekend.  I think mrcharly will have to take the proximity prize this year.  Oh well.

« Reply #16 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:41:05 pm »
I'm contemplating going for a day - which is best - Saturday or Sunday? The only concern is that it could prove rather expensive. My other half, a definite non-cyclist, rather enjoys going to York and would jump at the opportunity. However her idea of the place is that it's a shoppers paradise and it always costs me a mint. The question is - how can I separate her from her credit card for the day?  ???

Tourist Tony

« Reply #17 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »
I'm contemplating going for a day - which is best - Saturday or Sunday? The only concern is that it could prove rather expensive. My other half, a definite non-cyclist, rather enjoys going to York and would jump at the opportunity. However her idea of the place is that it's a shoppers paradise and it always costs me a mint. The question is - how can I separate her from her credit card for the day?  ???
Nail her feet to the floor of the cheapest shop

« Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:44:25 pm »
Report the card stolen. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »
Nail her feet to the floor of the cheapest shop
Drop her off at the McArthur-Glen outlet - the rate at which shops there seem to be shutting down there'll be nowt left come the end of June. To be honest, if I want to do any 'serious' shopping then I go to Leeds.

If I only make it for one day then it's usually Sunday - just personal preference, really.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »
Well, my normal practice is get there, pitch up, hit the supermarket for essentials. feed* over at the Fox and Roman. go for a ride of around 40 miles on the Saturday. chill for a bit. out to Acaster malbis (usually) with the Velovision crowd on Saturday night to feed* at the ship on the Saturday night, church/Minster on Sunday, feed* at the Fox once more on the Sunday evening and go home Monday morning.

*"feed" does not imply an entirely solid intake

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #21 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:00:13 pm »
Given that the Fox and Roman has recently undergone a refurbishment, you might want to get a plan B sorted out, just in case (I can't comment - since I don't drink I rarely go into pubs)

One of these days I'll go on the Velovision ride too, if I can stop my mind from telling me that the Ship is an overpriced tourist trap (terminus for the river cruises from town)

My cynicism is obviously alive and kicking today.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #22 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:06:29 pm »
I know all that, but then I used to drink in the Knavesmire.....the thing about the Fox is proximity, and the thing about the Ship is the pleasant ride, and the thing about both places is that I am usually in good company.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #23 on: 20 April, 2011, 05:23:32 pm »
Tourist Tony, you do realise that you fall into the ever diminishing pool known as "YACFers I have not (yet) fed cake (or flapjack for the fussy buggers)  to", don't you?

I think this situation should be rectified!

« Reply #24 on: 20 April, 2011, 06:23:38 pm »
Tourist Tony, you do realise that you fall into the ever diminishing pool known as "YACFers I have not (yet) fed cake (or flapjack for the fussy buggers)  to", don't you?

I think this situation should be rectified!

Oooh, Tony, don't turn this down! :thumbsup:

I'll be there as ever, manning the Velo Vision stand, or wandering about. The great thing about the Rally is that I get to stand still and virtually everyone I know comes by at some point!

I don't score well on proximity to the racecourse, about 3 miles.  But I'm probably closest to the Minster for the Sunday parade.  Although I'm seriously wondering about ditching the parade this year: since they dropped the police support at junctions, it's just hundreds of cyclists trying to get along the same roads as a bunch of irate drivers, and not really so much fun.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk