Author Topic: York Rally 2011  (Read 30788 times)

Re: York Rally 2011
« Reply #150 on: 21 June, 2011, 09:56:52 pm »

This is for arabella's benefit.

The fat blue line is the cyclepath.
The red rectangle is roughly the location of the campsite.
The small green dot is a co-op that opens at 7am.
The teal square is a big Tescos.
The pink line is my suggested route - basically come off the cyclepath in bishopthorpe just after passing bishopthorpe nurseries (which has an entrance onto the path). Go through bishopthorpe on main st, passing the co-op. Turn left at end of Main st, past bishop's palace and stay on that road until Terry's ex-chocolate factory is just in front of you on your left. There is a cycle path entrance here, that path takes you towards the racecourse stands, past the stands is the main rally entrance.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #151 on: 21 June, 2011, 11:03:27 pm »

Not sure of this is worthy of inclusion on the CDC thread....  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #152 on: 21 June, 2011, 11:15:41 pm »
The CDCWFT thread perhaps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #153 on: 21 June, 2011, 11:23:39 pm »
I'm still trying to work out what a cerise is...   ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #154 on: 22 June, 2011, 06:58:18 am »
it's that ironed-in sharp edge at the front & rear of a trouser leg that runs parallel to the length,is it not?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #155 on: 22 June, 2011, 10:06:33 am »
Ironed?  You've lost me...
Getting there...

« Reply #156 on: 22 June, 2011, 11:16:14 am »
I'll be riding up after work on Friday, probably arriving after dark.

I've no fixed plan for the duration of the rally, other than maybe walking into the city centre on the Saturday and playing tourist.
Don't ask.

« Reply #157 on: 22 June, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »
Luke give me a reference point along A1 and I will pick you up on the way. Can fit multi bike carrier and chuck your bags in the back. Gis a pm I have the same work pressures.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #158 on: 22 June, 2011, 08:50:20 pm »
I'll be riding up after work on Friday, probably arriving after dark.

I've no fixed plan for the duration of the rally, other than maybe walking into the city centre on the Saturday and playing tourist.

To be convincing, wander down the middle of the non-pedestrian part of Goodramgate, or step backwards without looking into the bike lane beside the Minster, while trying to fit the whole tower into your photo.

Later on, queue at Bettys. 

Or look for an oriental man waving a flag, and gatecrash his tour. You might need to speak Japanese or Chinese or Korean though. They seem keen on the guide-waving-a-flag thing.

Finally, join a ghost tour, and stand outside my flat at about 8.30...  One day, I'll wear a sheet and stand in the window...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #159 on: 23 June, 2011, 06:36:25 am »
Luke give me a reference point along A1 and I will pick you up on the way. Can fit multi bike carrier and chuck your bags in the back. Gis a pm I have the same work pressures.

YHPM  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #160 on: 23 June, 2011, 01:45:44 pm »
For anyone wanting to do the tourist thing over the Rally weekend and/or anyone who happens to be interested in archaeology, this might be of interest:

Subject: Invitation to View Roman Baths at Site of New Council HQ
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:44:18 +0100

Hello

Just a quick update to tell you about an event on the site of the council’s new headquarters at West Offices this weekend.

If you have passed West Offices recently you will have noticed the development is now well underway with the demolition of the central walkways and the more recent additions that will no longer form part of the final design.

You may already know that the development is where York's first railway station stood. Due to the historical significance of the site Miller Construction are obliged to undertake an archaeological dig.  For the first time since 1840 when York’s first railway station was constructed, the foundations of York’s Roman public baths will be on display.

Miller’s would like to invite you to view the excavations and give you the opportunity to see the progress being made.  There will be lectures on the hour every hour, providing background information on the discoveries and their importance.

You are welcome to come along anytime between 10.00 until 16.00 on Saturday 25 June, or between 11.00 and 15.00 on Sunday 26 June.  Free entrance to the public viewing area will be on Station Road, where it passes under the City Walls.  Access will be through a large metal gate in the site hoarding immediately to the left of the War memorial.

We look forward to seeing you there.

For details about the accommodation project visit our website: New headquarters building - City of York Council

If you no longer wish to receive updates from the team, please let us know by sending an email to moving.forward@york.gov.uk

The Accommodation Project Team,

City of York Council

Regulator

« Reply #161 on: 23 June, 2011, 06:07:36 pm »
I may be able to get away from work a litle early tomorrow, which means I can get home, pack and set off earlier than expected.   :thumbsup:

Does anyone know where the CAKE caravan  Jogler and Marj will be parked?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #162 on: 23 June, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »
I may be able to get away from work a litle early tomorrow, which means I can get home, pack and set off earlier than expected.   :thumbsup:

Greg, we havn't got a pitch number as yet, but if you pm me your mobile number I will let you know tomorrow afternoon xxx

« Reply #163 on: 23 June, 2011, 09:17:42 pm »

Greg, we havn't got a pitch number as yet, but if you pm me your mobile number I will let you know tomorrow afternoon xxx

You need one of those big vertical flags on a bendy pole, that says "HERE BE CAKE"...   ;D

I don't quite know my movements tomorrow evening - I'm comng to help set up, but if MFWHTBAB does comes over, I may not stay too long, so as not to tire him out. He's not sure if he'll make it - he has to watch out for getting tired quickly, and it's a 2 hour drive.  If he doesn't come, I may hang around and make a nuisance of myself with any company I can find...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #164 on: 23 June, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »
I'm surprised that Marj & jogler's cakeavan isn't marked on the site plan in the brochure.
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

« Reply #165 on: 23 June, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »
I believe I am around LW 63

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #166 on: 24 June, 2011, 01:53:17 am »
I believe I am around LW 63

Ah, I have LW 64.  I assume that'll mean something useful when I get there (train arrives 18:30).

Regulator

« Reply #167 on: 24 June, 2011, 06:43:57 am »
I shall track you both down....

Someone owes me a pint I believe.  ;)

Green Party Councillor

Tourist Tony

« Reply #168 on: 24 June, 2011, 07:42:38 am »
There are wooden stakes with numbers on. LW just means lightweight. Pitch behind the stake. Milk, no sugar, please.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #169 on: 24 June, 2011, 08:08:24 am »
Milk, no sugar, please.

^ That.  Condensed if you have it  ;)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #170 on: 24 June, 2011, 08:16:19 am »
We'll get a pitch when TGL & Butterfly get there this afternoon.  I'll be there later.  Wherever we are, we'll be easy to find - and not far away.  The lightweight section isn't huge ;D
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #171 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:30:07 am »
We'll get a pitch when TGL & Butterfly get there this afternoon.  I'll be there later.  Wherever we are, we'll be easy to find - and not far away.  The lightweight section isn't huge ;D

Given Butterfly's propensities, isn't it just easier for us to look out for a bike with a kitchen sink?   ;) ;D

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #172 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:40:54 am »
She will have four panniers, but the front ones are just for carrying lunch. ;D

At least she won't be towing a caravan! :demon:
Getting there...

« Reply #173 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:41:49 am »
I'm not sure if I'll be dropping by tonight, or not until tomorrow afternoon. If it's tonight, I might just bring the kelly kettle over. I think I owe some people a cup of tea.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #174 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:43:13 am »

Given Butterfly's propensities, isn't it just easier for us to look out for a bike with a kitchen sink?   ;) ;D

Naughty naughty Clarion, no cake for you then  ;D