Author Topic: Readers' Instruments  (Read 48217 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Re: Reader's Instruments
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:05 am »
I only take the travel banjo to places where I know I won't torture people. Or at least only torture my family. The Broads cruiser and the hippyish campsite were the two that stood out.

And yes, I have retuned the beginner banjo but it still sits there. I would rather retune the Deering and play that when necessary! ;)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:02 am »
I only take the travel banjo to places where I know I won't torture people.

You've played the banjo on the moon? ;D

menthel

« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2018, 11:08:53 am »
I only take the travel banjo to places where I know I won't torture people.

You've played the banjo on the moon? ;D

How very dare you! ;)

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2018, 11:43:52 am »
Two recent acquisitions:

First a Kala u-bass which is quiet enough acoustically to play at home yet surprisingly full-sounding when amplified (check out the sound in this video). I quit the band I was playing bass in so I haven't had the opportunity to try it out for real yet.

Second, a Tama snare to go in my hybrid kit at church. This video nicely demonstrates it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2018, 12:33:07 pm »
Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes used to play an acoustic-stylee mariachi bass; this Unit can confirm it was plenty loud enough ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #205 on: February 14, 2018, 03:21:03 pm »
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »
Yamaha 280.  Started learning the sax 2 years ago. Grade 1 this summer!  (Well, I'm "over 60" and have not picked up an instrument for 50 years, so what do you expect?)

https://flic.kr/p/GneG4d

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2018, 10:28:42 pm »
Nice one, Andy.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2018, 11:32:49 pm »
Yamaha 280.  Started learning the sax 2 years ago. Grade 1 this summer!  (Well, I'm "over 60" and have not picked up an instrument for 50 years, so what do you expect?)

https://flic.kr/p/GneG4d
:thumbsup:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2018, 08:28:19 am »
Thx road-runner and nicknack.

My son (who's now 38!) played alto sax in his school jazz band, and they were quite good, and famous locally.  He went off to Uni, leaving behind the sax, and never came home (funny that, I seem to recall doing the same  many years previously). 

I retired in 2016 and knew I needed a mental challenge, and some daily structure, having worked in environmental and civil engineering for 40 years as an engineering geologist.  I'd always liked jazz and the sound of the sax in particular, so I had his sax serviced (a Buescher) and found a teacher, who also plays in a Big Band.

I absolutely love it, but I did treat myself to that new Yamaha a few months in.  I love practice and I can see myself gradually improving, and I like the cause and effect you get from learning new skills, driven by a brilliant teacher.  She says I'm a bit 'mechanical' rather than 'musical', but I'm working on that too - maybe to be expected of an engineering education and career!.

I get a real kick out of playing a duet with her in lessons and hopefully in a few years I'll be good enough to get into a local band.  Been working on some Glenn Miller classics, and can do a passable American Patrol, and getting to grips with In the Mood atm. 

My only regret is that I didn't start this years ago, as you never know how much time you have left.  But I suppose loads of UK and international travel for work, and long periods overseas in hotel rooms would have made practice impossible, and lessons out of the question.  So, maybe, it's just that my time has come, and I'm giving it a thorough go.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:48 pm »
Probably enough for a YACF jazz band (to drown out the mandolin and banjo players)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2018, 08:07:43 am »
Probably enough for a YACF jazz band (to drown out the mandolin and banjo players)

;D

That'll be why I'm banished to the conservatory to do my practice, while SWMBO gets a nice warm bedroom for her flute practice......

PaulF

« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2018, 08:16:12 am »

By the time the jazz crowd have finished stroking their beards, adjusting their berets and agreeing what key to play in the folkies will have finished their set and be at the bar - except the banjo that's still trying to tune up ;D

PaulF

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2018, 08:29:42 am »

It actually takes very little to drown out a mandolin...

Of course I could always deploy this:

Apparently it goes all the way up to 11

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:13 am »
I retired in 2016 and knew I needed a mental challenge, and some daily structure, having worked in environmental and civil engineering for 40 years as an engineering geologist.  I'd always liked jazz and the sound of the sax in particular, so I had his sax serviced (a Buescher) and found a teacher, who also plays in a Big Band.

Yeah...  Two years ago, being off the road for a couple of months, I dug out my old 12-string, which I had passed to my daughter 20 years earlier. She too had subsequently buggered off to uni etc., leaving it in her bedroom, where it had lain for 10 years at least.  I brought it downstairs, cleaned it up, put new strings on, and started to get acquainted again, not having played much since the 90s and not having replaced the 12.

Two weeks later, she and her partner came for lunch. She saw the 12 all bright and shiny, said "cool" and walked off with it.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2018, 09:11:05 am »

It actually takes very little to drown out a mandolin...

And a banjo is like a woman*.

* q.v. Otis Lee Crenshaw
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2018, 05:28:33 pm »
No it isn't. Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2018, 06:18:04 pm »
Two weeks later, she and her partner came for lunch. She saw the 12 all bright and shiny, said "cool" and walked off with it.

Son (and family) came over from Alberta for Christmas, and I hoped that he'd be persuaded to get his old sax out and play some duets with me.  No chance as it turned out, which was a pity as he is Grade 5 sax and seems to be able to play any instrument/tune he picks up.  Annoyingly..... (but at least I have a spare sax for when my Yamaha goes for service :)  But maybe I should buy a tenor sax as well.....  Does the n+1 rule apply to instruments?)

He did, however, dig out a cheapy acoustic guitar that he took with him on his world trip a few years ago and regale us with some rock classics, so I was partly recompensed.  He doesn't do Steve Hackett or Daryl Stuermer though, so Clapton and Jimmy Page had to suffice.

« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2018, 06:29:21 pm »
But maybe I should buy a tenor sax as well.....  Does the n+1 rule apply to instruments?)

But of course. Even more so than with bikes! :facepalm:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2018, 06:34:21 pm »
But maybe I should buy a tenor sax as well.....  Does the n+1 rule apply to instruments?)

But of course. Even more so than with bikes! :facepalm:
Yup. I've got 12.

menthel

« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2018, 07:22:55 pm »
No it isn't. Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo.

I wouldn't cry. I might hurt people.

(Or more likely cry...)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:56 pm »
Hmm.. 2 wooden clarinets (Both Bb), two alto sax, one in need of repair. A few recorders and penny whistles. Would like a tenor or baritone sax. Not sure I can justify it. (failed grade 5 because I was a poor student and tried to sight read the study - I considered a 3 point margin a good performance in that light)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:59 am »
My youngster alto sax (Yamaha YAS 280) and its new companion, a grown-up tenor (Yamaha YTS 32), made between 1980 and 1991.

https://flic.kr/p/HhkAQh

I've hankered after a tenor to go with my alto, and have idly browsed eBay for a while, seeing an awful lot of battered and bent dross, and then this popped up.  There's no way I'd buy a used sax without consulting my music teacher and my servicing technician - but both said it was worth a look.  Particularly since it was only about 10 miles away.  Would normally go for the student level but this one is the intermediate.

Had a look last Saturday night with teach, and she pronounced it gorgeous, and managed to win the auction for about £90 over my advisers' guide price, and £300 less than the cost of a new student model.  It's immaculate.  Been played but not a mark on it and it came with a hard case, 3 mouthpieces, some reeds (which are old and will go in the bin), some music and a sax stand.

Been able to play some scales and basic tunes as the keywork is exactly the same as my alto.  But I'm going to put it to one side for a few weeks until my first ever music exam is out of the way as I need to keep my eyes on the initial prize.

Phew!  The low notes don't half rattle the windows.....

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2018, 09:03:19 am »
Very nice!
What exam are you doing?

« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2018, 02:25:55 pm »
Very nice!
What exam are you doing?

Only Grade 1 AMRSM.  I last played an instrument at school - over 50 years ago. Took up the sax 2 years ago when I retired and stopped travelling for work and have had weekly lessons more or less ever since.  My teacher says I'm well beyond Grade 1, but we'll start with that and hope to get a strong pass.  We will see. The exam experience will be good for further exams to come.

I'm more nervous about that than I was about my model aeroplane flying test, years ago!

I do about 7-10 hours a week practice, but I had spinal surgery on my neck in 2010 which has affected my hands, so my dexterity and finger speed is not as good as it might otherwise be, and I can't stand up for more than a few minutes so I have to play sitting down.  Takes me quite a long time to get the muscle memory to kick in, and find the fingering that works best for me.  Mixture of classical and jazz.

But I really love playing the sax........  Maybe one day I'll be good enough to get into a pub band!