Author Topic: Reader's Instruments  (Read 29683 times)

nicknack

• Fledgling Swampy
Re: Reader's Instruments
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2018, 02:31:39 pm »
Good luck!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2018, 09:17:53 am »

My first guitar build: 24-"fret" fretless 3-string cigar-box guitar, tuned E-B-E.

Sapele neck, pearwood fingerboard, homemade plywood box. Top flamed using old cassette sprockets as stencils, then waxed and stained with Diamine Majestic Purple and Twilight inks. Soundhole "rosette" is an old 30T chainring. Tailpiece is a 13T sprocket.  Pickups from an old PJ bass, faced with mahogany veneer then stained.

Fret slots cut but left empty for use with slide: side-dots on neck.

Calling it The Oops because it is full of beginner's mistakes, not to be repeated and mostly hidden: but it works!

Still needs a headstock badge: I'll probably just nail on a couple of chain links. Haven't quite got the courage to try an inlay - next time maybe.
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2018, 12:34:00 pm »
Bonkers! But I love it!

« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2018, 01:16:18 pm »
That's awesome! Totally in the spirit of cigar box guitars!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2018, 03:35:49 pm »
:thumbsup: Cheers both! 

Going to have to put a plexiglas shield over the right lower bout, though: When I tried it in my nice cool workshop the colours were fast, but when I played it with a sweaty arm I got a purple wrist.

Apart from that, I had so much fun building it that now I'm bereft, so the next one will be on the stocks by the end of the week - cat-bowl resonator.

But hold the oysters.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2018, 01:24:11 pm »
Just discovered these in one of our hidey-holes:

The other half of the set went into an Appachian dulcimer I built 50 years ago. I knew they'd come in handy some day.

But hold the oysters.

PaulF

« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2018, 02:40:36 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce Judas

Primarily bought because, in technical terms, my playing is "a bit crap" and this allows me to practice with headphones on

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2018, 04:03:16 pm »
Looks like fun, and I bet I'm crapper than you.

But hold the oysters.

PaulF

« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2018, 05:27:01 pm »
I sincerely doubt that ;D

« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2018, 12:29:59 pm »
My youngster alto sax (Yamaha YAS 280) and its new companion, a grown-up tenor (Yamaha YTS 32), made between 1980 and 1991.

https://flic.kr/p/HhkAQh

I've hankered after a tenor to go with my alto, and have idly browsed eBay for a while, seeing an awful lot of battered and bent dross, and then this popped up.  There's no way I'd buy a used sax without consulting my music teacher and my servicing technician - but both said it was worth a look.  Particularly since it was only about 10 miles away.  Would normally go for the student level but this one is the intermediate.

Had a look last Saturday night with teach, and she pronounced it gorgeous, and managed to win the auction for about £90 over my advisers' guide price, and £300 less than the cost of a new student model.  It's immaculate.  Been played but not a mark on it and it came with a hard case, 3 mouthpieces, some reeds (which are old and will go in the bin), some music and a sax stand.

Gave my new (to me) tenor sax to my music teacher (and technician) for her to give it the once over. a few weeks ago.  Took her a while but I got it back this week - she pronounced it immaculate. Bought some new Van Doren reeds, which arrived this morning.  I've been having a go this week with a very old VD reed that came with the sax, and had mixed results.  But the new reeds are much better. I managed to get to be squeak-free after about 10 minutes, and was soon playing my alto sax practice and exam pieces.

Very different instrument to play, even though the keywork is all the same as the alto.  But I love it, and I think it'll become my main instrument, over the alto.

PaulF

« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2018, 09:40:34 am »
I built Judas somewhere to live ;D

« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2018, 09:59:20 am »
PaulF:   Shagadelic!

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2018, 10:05:53 am »
:thumbsup: Needs a built-in cocktail bar.

But hold the oysters.

« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2018, 10:22:24 am »

I reckon Keef would dig that  :P

I've just been reviewing my latest guitar build (which I should have finished ages ago!) and I'm thinking I need to stump up for a half decent band saw. I've made life ridiculously difficult for myself with my laminate through neck design. Running before walking and all that....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2018, 01:05:02 pm »
I've just been reviewing my latest guitar build (which I should have finished ages ago!) and I'm thinking I need to stump up for a half decent band saw. I've made life ridiculously difficult for myself with my laminate through neck design. Running before walking and all that....

That's my wail too.  I had an E. German cheapo for >20 years and it was wonderful, but then it died. My current Metabo is shit. Apart from the fact that it won't cut true no matter what the blade tension, the blade guard is so constructed that you can't see the blade with both eyes at once when you're cutting, and the wee LED light throws it into shadow.

I could do with a table saw, too.

But hold the oysters.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #240 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:30 pm »

These two white tom toms are far from new but as I have shut my studio they are not in use at the moment. At church I usually play on an electronic kit but I prefer the sounds and dynamics I can get from acoustic drums so I decided to swap out the electronic toms in favour of the acoustic toms. The next step will be to convert my 16" floor tom into a bass drum.

PS. That's a nice cigar box guitar, T42; and what a plush case you have made, PaulF!

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2018, 07:56:58 am »
Thanks!  I screwed up with the neck break angle, though - as in there isn't any - so I've added a nut extension and now I try to play slide. Sounds like an old steam turntable with a dickey drive-belt.  But hey, the neighbours' kids drench the neighbourhood in [c]rap so I figure that adding a wail like a seasick cow improves things.

But hold the oysters.

« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2018, 08:07:04 pm »
Good luck!

Got the results today - distinction: 133/150.  Stop sniggering at the back - you haven't spent the last 40 years travelling all over the UK and half the globe, away for weeks at a time, and dealing with tricky Furriner clients in languages you don't speak.  Now I need to get my Tenor up to speed and on to the next exam - Grade 3 I'm told!

Had an ice cream and a couple of beers to celebrate.

nicknack

• Fledgling Swampy
« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2018, 08:18:00 pm »
Congratulations!
Same score as I got for grade 8 35 years ago.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2018, 08:27:53 pm »
Congratulations!

Thx - can't see me taking grade 8 aged 99 somehow!

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2018, 11:23:59 pm »
Well done, Andy. Take it easy: rushed progress will be short lived and provide plenty of frustrating moments. I guess progress is music is a bit like the hare and the tortoise story.

« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2018, 08:12:40 am »
Well done, Andy. Take it easy: rushed progress will be short lived and provide plenty of frustrating moments. I guess progress is music is a bit like the hare and the tortoise story.

Thx RR.  I was totally exhausted for a couple of days after the exam, presumably the after effect of several months of concentration,  trying to learn a lot of new skills all at once - plus Grade 3 Theory, and the exam being way out of my comfort zone.  Got my mojo back now, but have moved over mostly to the tenor sax to bring that up to my alto standard (which I still play every day), but it's a new learning curve as the embouchure and blowing is different.  Fortunately, the keys are in the same relative places, but a bit further apart.  Progress frustratingly slow, and two steps forward, one back, but my teacher is excellent - loads of patience and I completely let her set the pace and direction. She only puts pupils into exams when she knows they'll get a strong pass. 

Becoming 'legitimate' (in that I've passed a music exam - beyond my wildest imagination a few years ago)  has given me some confidence that I can do this, given enough time and diligence, and it's only anno domini and my natural limit of ability that will curtail how far I get.

And I really enjoy playing the sax.

PaulF

« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2018, 08:15:41 am »
Good luck!

Got the results today - distinction: 133/150.  Stop sniggering at the back - you haven't spent the last 40 years travelling all over the UK and half the globe, away for weeks at a time, and dealing with tricky Furriner clients in languages you don't speak.  Now I need to get my Tenor up to speed and on to the next exam - Grade 3 I'm told!

Had an ice cream and a couple of beers to celebrate.

Congratulations!

Understand how you feel about switching between tenor and alto. I have the same issue switching between mandolin with a 14" scale and the octave with a 20" scale.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2018, 08:40:58 am »
:thumbsup: Well done!

But hold the oysters.

Woofage

• Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2018, 04:14:27 pm »
Congratulations!

& a lot more than I got for my Grade 8 Violin 34 years ago :(.

#1 son has been looking at baris on eBay :o. He volunteers gets roped in to play bari sometimes at school (including in the recent school production) as a) the fingering is the same as alto, apparently and b) at 6'3"" he's big enough.

I think he's been somewhat inspired by this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLYZmPRtnc
Pen Pusher