Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia  (Read 18004 times)

Re: Inguinal Hernia
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:58 am »
thanks bludger. It sounds like good advice even though its not exactly what I wanted to hear. I have private health care and might initiate a consultation there.

« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2019, 09:49:52 am »
My GP’s attitude changed completely when I mentioned private cover. Getting a hernia done on the NHS is really hard at the moment. As soon as I said I had insurance through work he told me he’d had the same op, how good it had been and so on. Still took six months during which time things deteriorated but all has been fine since then
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2019, 01:48:38 pm »
I was wrong. Ive got 2  >:(
Still in denial a bit despite confirmation from doc. Now begins the glacial process of treatment.  Will look into my private healthcare options. If I'm to be off the bike* id rather it was in jan/feb time.

Doc reckons day surgery, but possibly a general rather than local.  Seems they put some mesh or chicken wire or something in to stop things falling through in future.   
*The 8 week layoff as advised to Skungo is very alarming.

Around 2.5 yrs since diagnosis, and its bothering me a little more recently. I have a bit of a cough which doesnt help, I try to press on it when coughing to stop it bulging out. I'd say from being only slightly noticable, its become a faint ache at times. I cant really see any pattern to it, although I use a walking stick if I'm walking a lot (held on my right) to protect my "bad" l.leg. The tension across my body seems to trigger it a bit.

What bludger said, get it done, the sooner the better. 5 months after my surgery life is far more pleasant, and my symptoms were nowhere near as bad as yours. I gained a bit of weight after the operation, but I've lost that and right now I am physically back to where I was before the symptoms began to present themselves. The day surgery/general anesthetic option worked well for me, better than sitting in a hospital for a few days. If your health insurance requires you to pay part of the cost out of your pocket, do it. It will be money well spent.

« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2019, 02:25:02 pm »
I was wrong. Ive got 2  >:(
Still in denial a bit despite confirmation from doc. Now begins the glacial process of treatment.  Will look into my private healthcare options. If I'm to be off the bike* id rather it was in jan/feb time.

Doc reckons day surgery, but possibly a general rather than local.  Seems they put some mesh or chicken wire or something in to stop things falling through in future.   
*The 8 week layoff as advised to Skungo is very alarming.

Around 2.5 yrs since diagnosis, and its bothering me a little more recently. I have a bit of a cough which doesnt help, I try to press on it when coughing to stop it bulging out. I'd say from being only slightly noticable, its become a faint ache at times. I cant really see any pattern to it, although I use a walking stick if I'm walking a lot (held on my right) to protect my "bad" l.leg. The tension across my body seems to trigger it a bit.

What bludger said, get it done, the sooner the better. 5 months after my surgery life is far more pleasant, and my symptoms were nowhere near as bad as yours. I gained a bit of weight after the operation, but I've lost that and right now I am physically back to where I was before the symptoms began to present themselves. The day surgery/general anesthetic option worked well for me, better than sitting in a hospital for a few days. If your health insurance requires you to pay part of the cost out of your pocket, do it. It will be money well spent.

Appointment to see the guy next month.

« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2019, 11:03:19 am »
Got mine done yesterday.   Seemed to go ok. Recovery starts today :thumbsup:

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2019, 11:15:05 am »
Great news. It is a pain in the arse for a few weeks but having it gone is a life changing improvement. Best wishes for your recovery ;D
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2019, 02:50:16 pm »
Great news. It is a pain in the arse for a few weeks but having it gone is a life changing improvement. Best wishes for your recovery ;D

Anatomy was never my strong point... Seems I'm not alone!

Wishing you a smooth recovery!

« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2019, 04:08:55 pm »
 ;D ;D.  Thanks bludger and helly

« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2019, 04:53:46 pm »
I've had both sides done, last one at the end of this summer. In each case I was back to normal in 6 weeks simply by gradually increasing gentle exercise.
Good luck with recovery.

« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2019, 10:04:44 pm »
I had mine (bi-lateral) done via keyhole, and my recovery is going well.  Back at work and out of my stretch "lounge-wear trousers" (thank god) after 1 week. 10 km on the bike after 12 days along the flat.  All seems to be well.  Wont be pushing the cycling but am keen to ensure I can do it to same level as previously.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2019, 11:02:19 pm »
That's great news, you'll be back to form before you know it.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2019, 10:12:27 am »
I went to the GP yesterday suspecting I had one of these. He couldn't find an inguinal one but thinks I have a femoral one and has referred me. I'm now waiting for a letter. I hope it arrives soon - I had a bowel obstruction 10 years ago and I don't want to go through that again.
The doctor said I could do my normal stuff including riding my bike, but I don't fancy doing CX and jumping back onto the bike landing on that leg, so I think my CX season is over. :( I'll keep riding the turbo though.