Author Topic: Wrist Intersection Syndrome  (Read 12555 times)

simonp

Re: Wrist Intersection Syndrome
« Reply #25 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:56:38 pm »
The lack of pinch grip is something that I don’t have.  I’ve had symptoms of handlebar palsy before, but not this time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 19 May, 2011, 12:02:35 am »
It sounds like David might have something more similar to me, which helly thinks is median nerve palsy. I also lack a pinch grip and strength to do certain motions.
If you have trouble changing gear (with STI), it sounds like wot the UK lady had on RAAM in 2009(?). Might be worth a google.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 19 May, 2011, 12:02:43 am »
The lack of pinch grip is something that I don’t have.  I’ve had symptoms of handlebar palsy before, but not this time.

Your problem was you were too strong for your own good honking up those Welsh mountains!

« Reply #28 on: 19 May, 2011, 12:04:17 am »
It sounds like David might have something more similar to me, which helly thinks is median nerve palsy. I also lack a pinch grip and strength to do certain motions.
If you have trouble changing gear (with STI), it sounds like wot the UK lady had on RAAM in 2009(?). Might be worth a google.

I have SRAM double tap. I can do the single tap and not the double currently. It didn't stop me getting round a 400 though so I expect I can manage a 600 like it too if I have to.

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 20 May, 2011, 09:47:43 pm »
Getting there though still am experiencing pain on lateral wrist movement.  Still not allowed to ride a bike or swim. :(

« Reply #30 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:46:39 pm »
I had tenosynovitis in my left wrist  a few years ago. It appeared really suddenly, one day there was nothing then two days later I couldn't bend my wrist or even hold an empty cup. I think it was caused by braking from brake hood just too may times; I was riding for about 6 hours a day five days a week in traffic.

As long as you kept the wrist straight there wasn't any pain. The hospital gave me a support to wear. It was a sort of bendy sheet plastic which is wrapped around the wrist and then sets rigid.

They suggested a cortisone injection; I said no. I had a few sessions of ultrasound but I'm not sure if it had much effect. It did get better, slowly. After about 6 months the pain was gone, but there was still lump on my wrist. Even now, that area on my left wrist is still a bit bigger than on my right wrist.

« Reply #31 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:51:05 pm »
Are you borrowing a 'bent? If so, pop over so I can have a go! I've got loads of flapjack in.

simonp

« Reply #32 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »
I had tenosynovitis in my left wrist  a few years ago. It appeared really suddenly, one day there was nothing then two days later I couldn't bend my wrist or even hold an empty cup. I think it was caused by braking from brake hood just too may times; I was riding for about 6 hours a day five days a week in traffic.

As long as you kept the wrist straight there wasn't any pain. The hospital gave me a support to wear. It was a sort of bendy sheet plastic which is wrapped around the wrist and then sets rigid.

They suggested a cortisone injection; I said no. I had a few sessions of ultrasound but I'm not sure if it had much effect. It did get better, slowly. After about 6 months the pain was gone, but there was still lump on my wrist. Even now, that area on my left wrist is still a bit bigger than on my right wrist.

6 months?  :o

Fortunately my symptoms are not quite so severe so hopefully I’ll be back to normal quicker than that.

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 20 May, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »
Are you borrowing a 'bent? If so, pop over so I can have a go! I've got loads of flapjack in.

Not done anything yet, despite Donald’s kind offer.

simonp

« Reply #34 on: 23 May, 2011, 03:22:24 pm »
My wrist is very, very close to being back to normal. :)

4-6 weeks?  My arse.

« Reply #35 on: 23 May, 2011, 03:53:23 pm »

4-6 weeks?  My arse.

There's cream for that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:52:51 pm »

4-6 weeks?  My arse.

I find these things tend to follow a 1/x progression, so take it easy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #37 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »

4-6 weeks?  My arse.

I have a job lot of Conotrane cream (blame online multi-buys) if it will help you  ;D

Simon, you are clearly made of tough stuff and I am sure you will be fine whatever you choose to do this weekend!

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:34:19 pm »

simonp

« Reply #39 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:40:44 pm »

4-6 weeks?  My arse.

I find these things tend to follow a 1/x progression, so take it easy.

That's what I've been doing.  I'm onna bus again.  :hand:

simonp

« Reply #40 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:12:12 pm »

4-6 weeks?  My arse.

I have a job lot of Conotrane cream (blame online multi-buys) if it will help you  ;D

Simon, you are clearly made of tough stuff and I am sure you will be fine whatever you choose to do this weekend!

When did this happen?!

The trigger for this injury may have been a martial arts injury from April last year which still hasn’t cleared up 100%.  Problems with my left shoulder.  Entire left arm was aching the night before the BCM.

simonp

« Reply #41 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:24:15 pm »
Saw physio today.  Final bit of treatment: more mobilisation of the wrist joint, some ultrasound on the joint, and some massage of the shoulder.  She also showed me how to tape the wrist so I can support it for my next long rides.

She reckons it’s back to 95% now so I can start building up milage a bit.  I’ve done almost 60km today in total and no real problems.  The swelling is almost completely gone and the wrist is no longer clicking like mad when I flex and extend it.

Think I will DNS the Offa’s Dyke and limit myself to a club run on Saturday and maybe some miles on Sunday also.

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 22 April, 2013, 11:44:19 am »
I seem to have this again, but in my right wrist, after riding a DIY 200k to the Dorset Coast and back on Saturday. Bah.

Doesn't seem quite as bad this time, but need to be careful it doesn't wreck LEL training.

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:41:27 pm »
My wrist is about 95% recovered now, so time to start some strengthening exercises. To help, I have some video clips to look at.

::-)

« Reply #44 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:49:40 pm »
 ;D.  You at home on your own during the week or something?

Fingers crossed.

« Reply #45 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:07:07 pm »
My wrist is about 95% recovered now, so time to start some strengthening exercises. To help, I have some video clips to look at.

::-)

Both hands?