Author Topic: Glastonbury/Amy Winehouse  (Read 9762 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Glastonbury/Amy Winehouse
« on: 28 June, 2008, 11:01:12 pm »
What a MESS!

I loved her walkabout - security scattered to the 4 winds not knowing quite what to do.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Glastonbury/Amy Winehouse
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2008, 11:10:59 pm »
She looked like a little girl in her mother's shoes, but I loved the cocktail umbrellas stuck in her wig.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:43:14 am »
But my god, she can sing. Her voice gives me goosebumps.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:59:35 am »
I like her voice but can't stand ze bitch.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:00:26 am »
She looks minging and sounded three sheets to the wind.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2008, 10:31:04 am »
Just the three? She can sing in a studio, but that live 'performance' was like a slow-motion train crash. She needs to take some serious straightening-out time off.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:39:44 am »
It made me feel really uncomfortable to watch that performance. I gave up after a couple of songs. She just seemed sad and lost, a terrible waste.

bobajobrob

« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:45:05 am »
It made me feel uncomfortable to see her looking so skinny.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2008, 12:02:05 pm »
We're talking about this performance, yes?

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Amy Winehouse 'lashes out' at fan

Shocking. Out of tune, out of control, and clearly three sheets to the wind. Shame.

« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2008, 02:02:55 pm »
She can sing in a studio, but that live 'performance' was like a slow-motion train crash.

She is not the only one. One of the bands I really like are usually bad on stage as the speed at which they play is very hard to maintain reliably.

I've been watching the festival on TV and have enjoyed the Fratellis and the Raconteurs so far. I passed on Miss Whine-house.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 29 June, 2008, 03:26:12 pm »
I watched her first song and the first few bars of the second- Car Crash TV so switched over.

TV where people are making a spectacle of themselves unknowingly, or are lulled in to doing so, is something I find difficult to watch.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #11 on: 29 June, 2008, 04:02:39 pm »
I'm sure that, on form, Amy can give a great stage performance. She really does have a great voice, and her songs are witty, clever and have remarkable style and panache. sadly, Amy herself is not currently up to delivering them as they deserve to be delivered. She needs a break!

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
She needs to be sectioned

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2008, 04:53:05 pm »
She can sing in a studio, but that live 'performance' was like a slow-motion train crash.

She is not the only one. One of the bands I really like are usually bad on stage as the speed at which they play is very hard to maintain reliably.

I've been watching the festival on TV and have enjoyed the Fratellis and the Raconteurs so far. I passed on Miss Whine-house.

The Fratellis were excellent, and the drummer from The Raconteurs reminds me of a young John Bonham.

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2008, 05:08:03 pm »
...and the drummer from The Raconteurs reminds me of a young John Bonham.

Absolutely. Very very good. Didn't really think that much of the studio tracks I've heard, but by god they are good live. Proper rock and roll. Jack's custom Grestch was gorgeous too. I soooooo want that guitar.

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:36:49 pm »
...and the drummer from The Raconteurs reminds me of a young John Bonham.

Absolutely. Very very good. Didn't really think that much of the studio tracks I've heard, but by god they are good live. Proper rock and roll. Jack's custom Grestch was gorgeous too. I soooooo want that guitar.

Great band. I discovered them on Later... and would agree with the above; I still bought the albums though. Their performance was excellent from what I watched. It is also much more my style of music.

PS As for the guitar, well I'd need to improve a bit (euphemism!)...  ::-)

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:47:38 pm »
This one?

I'd prefer a Silver Jet myself - drum sparkle plastic  :)

« Reply #17 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:57:26 pm »
All the talk of "A waste" annoys me somewhat. She has a great voice and can do whatever she likes with it. So she's on fuck knows what? What business other than hers is that?

Hendrix inadvertently topped himself after just a few short years at the top - but that was rock 'n roll, right?

As did many others. (Not that I'm making a comparison musically - just a fucking TABLOID connection)

I quite like fucked up performances - mainly because it irritates people who want performers to perform in the way they want them to.

You may have bought their record, but you don't own them..........
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #18 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:59:32 pm »
That's the one he was playing indeed. I'm more of an Ibanez or Musicman* man myself; and like some of the Gibson/Epiphone too. But not really that Gretsch either...

* I play an OLP Petrucci signature series.

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:05:06 pm »
All the talk of "A waste" annoys me somewhat. She has a great voice and can do whatever she likes with it. So she's on fuck knows what? What business other than hers is that?

Hendrix inadvertently topped himself after just a few short years at the top - but that was rock 'n roll, right?

As did many others. (Not that I'm making a comparison musically - just a fucking TABLOID connection)

I quite like fucked up performances - mainly because it irritates people who want performers to perform in the way they want them to.

Disclaimer: I own none of AW's records so don't actually care, but:

She seems hell-bent on doing a Janis Joplin, which will make her famous, but will deprive her fans of (potentially) some great records.  Who's to say what Hendrix would have produced if he'd lived for another five years?  OK, most bands with rock 'n' roll deaths are already on the slide by the time one of them slips off this mortal coil, but not all.

« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:07:25 pm »
I'd suggest that people who comment on her behaviour actually probably "care" for her, in a way.

« Reply #21 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:09:37 pm »

Disclaimer: I own none of AW's records so don't actually care, but:

She seems hell-bent on doing a Janis Joplin, which will make her famous, but will deprive her fans of (potentially) some great records.  Who's to say what Hendrix would have produced if he'd lived for another five years?  OK, most bands with rock 'n' roll deaths are already on the slide by the time one of them slips off this mortal coil, but not all.

Ok, I understand that - I also own none of her records, but you've hit the nail on the head of what I was talking about: "will deprive her fans of (potentially) some great records"

So what? The fans don't control her life!!

Yes, yes if she didn't have fans buying her records bla bla bla..... There are enough people in the world to keep Shakin' Stevens cashed up FFS, so she'd still be doing ok!!

Chris S

« Reply #22 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:15:35 pm »

If I want to see pissed up women staggering about getting groped by strange men, I can go and watch the ch@vs in Dereham on a Saturday night for free. They can sing better when they're pissed up, too.

« Reply #23 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:20:47 pm »

If I want to see pissed up women staggering about getting groped by strange men, I can go and watch the ch@vs in Dereham on a Saturday night for free. They can sing better when they're pissed up, too.

Do so then!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #24 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:26:03 pm »
Just the three? She can sing in a studio, but that live 'performance' was like a slow-motion train crash. She needs to take some serious straightening-out time off.

She can sing live too. I first saw her on Russell Brands show. She sang alone to a simple piano backing - and very little backing at that. Her voice was stunning - hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

But she does need to be sober to sing well.