Author Topic: Yet more tent advice  (Read 10921 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Yet more tent advice
« Reply #25 on: 30 May, 2011, 01:09:46 am »
He drilled holes in the tent!
It is simpler than it looks.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »
As previously posted I am considering one of these they pack don quite small.

Lightweight Backpacker 2 Man Tent - 1 & 2 Man Tents

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »
I have seen some good reviews of this one. Apparently the 3 man is lighter than the 2 man. Don't know about zip-off groundsheets, though.....
Coleman UK - Phad™ X3

« Reply #28 on: 31 May, 2011, 07:51:47 pm »
I have seen some good reviews of this one. Apparently the 3 man is lighter than the 2 man. Don't know about zip-off groundsheets, though.....
Coleman UK - Phad™ X3

I have a phad 3 & love it, think its the previous version as it looks the same shape but different coloured panels. I have had it about 3 years & used it quite a bit. The zip off ground sheet is a really good idea its just the porch, which means no soggy knees when you are getting in & out , the zip runs along in front of the inner tent.

plum

« Reply #29 on: 02 June, 2011, 10:10:58 am »
And if you opt for the T2-UL bear in mind that Decathlon tend to rotate their tents in sales, so don't buy it until the very last minute because odds are they'll reduce the price while you're waiting. Got mine at the beginning of summer two years ago for about 2/3 full price I think.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #30 on: 02 June, 2011, 10:18:42 am »
Which tents do people consider ideal for having your bike to sleep* in with you, for safety reasons?

*No, we're not going down that route thank you, if you're reading this Hummers!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

« Reply #31 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:48:54 am »
Anyone?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:56:22 am »
I'd probably go for a vis-a-vis with one bedroom left behind.  Or, like one on site last weekend, a large dome with a small bedroom annexe.

Tend to go for smaller tents and leave the steed tied up outside, myself ;D
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:56:57 am »
Having the bike inside makes for a big tent, too big for most people to want to carry on a bike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:58:39 am »
It is an awkward shape to accommodate.  Standing up, it's too high, and, lying down, it takes up a lot of floorspace.

You could get away with something smaller if you only bring your bike in last thing at night, and take it outside first thing.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:01:47 am »
Aren't there some tents, which I thought had been illustrated on the forum, which involve a bicycle as part of the pitching structure.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=ubuntu&q=bicycle+tent&oe=utf-8&cid=1121983674512911872&os=reviews gives it pretty poor reviews though. Not enough ventilation.

You could probably squeeze a bike into the porch of a Vango Spirit 200+ or similarly-shaped tent, but you might well have to take the wheels off.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:12:46 am »
Yes, there have been a number of tents, like the Bikamper, which incorporate the bike as part of the structure, which should make them lighter because of the lack of poles, but they seem to be inexplicably heavy anyway, and don't keep your bike out of the weather.  Besides, what are you going to ride to the pub, or the shops, on?
Getting there...

Riggers

« Reply #37 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:20:04 am »
I would just worry, waking up in the morning, staggering out of the tent, stretching, yawning, scratching one's tummy, only to glance at the spot where once your pride and joy stood the previous night.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:22:56 am »
I had a friend who attached an extra guyline to his bike, fed it through a gap in the zip of the bivvy (as it happens, though it would also work for a tent) and tie it round his thumb.

There's very little to worry about on most sites.  And, wild camping, your aim should have been to be as far from likely human activity as possible.
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #39 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:24:16 am »
Lock your bike to the tent, or put a pole through a wheel/frame when you pitch it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #40 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:24:31 am »
The terra nova space 2 will take a bike inside the porch and you can stand up in it,

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 03 June, 2011, 11:05:18 am »
I had a friend who attached an extra guyline to his bike, fed it through a gap in the zip of the bivvy (as it happens, though it would also work for a tent) and tie it round his thumb.

There's very little to worry about on most sites.  And, wild camping, your aim should have been to be as far from likely human activity as possible.
Josie Dew recommends dental floss for this. She also says she doesn't know what she'd do if she did actually feel a tug on the floss in the middle of the night.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 03 June, 2011, 11:08:06 am »
If they tugged on your bike too hard, dental floss would cut in a bit, wouldn't it?

No.  I have no idea what I would do either.

It's worth noting that there have been bike thefts at both York and Mildenhall >:(

But elsewhere such things are very very rare.
Getting there...

Riggers

« Reply #43 on: 03 June, 2011, 11:08:39 am »

Josie Dew recommends dental floss for this. She also says she doesn't know what she'd do if she did actually feel a tug on the floss in the middle of the night.

I hope we're still talking about bikes and camping here Cudzo.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 03 June, 2011, 11:12:08 am »
I'm not always sure what you're talking about, Riggers ;D
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #45 on: 03 June, 2011, 11:13:44 am »
IIRC she ties it around her toe. Yes, it would cut a bit if someone tugged on it, but maybe she's a heavy sleeper?

I'd just lock my bike up to a tree or whatever was there and not worry about it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #46 on: 03 June, 2011, 11:30:30 am »
Vaude Hogan XT 2 person, 2 skin tent with room for 2 bikes in vestibule - Ultralight Outdoor Gear

You could always buy one of those alarmed D locks, although you wouldn't be very popular with the rest of the site should the wind set it off in the night  :facepalm:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #47 on: 03 June, 2011, 11:43:41 am »
Sometimes, when we are camping, Butterfly uses a cable with an alarmed padlock she picked up at the NFOL.  It's pretty effective, but hasn't gone off in the wind (yet), though it suffered a stiff breeze at Stirling last year.
Getting there...

« Reply #48 on: 03 June, 2011, 12:32:55 pm »
Sometimes, when we are camping, Butterfly uses a cable with an alarmed padlock she picked up at the NFOL.  It's pretty effective, but hasn't gone off in the wind (yet), though it suffered a stiff breeze at Stirling last year.

+1
I have yet to camp with my bike but I have slept in a bus shelter with it and I used my movement sensitive mini cable lock.
Jaded can vouch for how sensitive the alarm is, he set it off last week in the pub garden by touching my bike to have a look at it  ;D

I got mine for CRC but I have seen something very similar in Sainsbury's Homebase for not much more than a tenner. it takes 4xLR44 batteries which you can pick up pretty cheaply on eBay and Amazon marketplace.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #49 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »
<<<< holds his ears!