Author Topic: Ouchth... tongue stung by bee !  (Read 2184 times)

ChrisO

Ouchth... tongue stung by bee !
« on: 01 July, 2008, 03:25:23 pm »
Title says it all really.

Riding this morning and felt an insect fly into my mouth. I sort of pushed it to the front of my mouth with my tongue and spat it out, before becoming aware of a deeply painful sensation in my tongue.

I wasn't sure whether to go back home or keep riding and of course you think all sorts of things. I'm not allergic to bee stings but maybe the bees in Abu Dhabi are different. And what's the Arabic for "anaphylactic shock" or even "tongue" but I might be arrested if I go around saying that. And if I keep riding (it was at the start of a 40km training ride) will it increase`the chance of some bad reaction.

In the end I did my ride. And when I got home I could even see the stinger still stuck in my tongue so I had to pull it out with tweezers. Now it's come up in an annoying little lumpy bit.

Ouchy ouch.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Ouchth... tongue stung by bee !
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2008, 03:32:22 pm »
To an extent, you were lucky.  I was watching a video of anaphylaxis this lunchtime for work.

I'm pleased you are OK. 
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2008, 03:42:02 pm »
Where's Michael Caine when you need him?
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2008, 03:42:52 pm »
Bee stings are cumulative, even experienced beekeepers can get to the stage where each sting produces worse symptoms. Perhaps this one was the one that started the noticable effects.

« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2008, 12:06:29 pm »
Two years ago, when cycling in India, several of our party were attacked by a swarm of bees.  We were spread out over several miles while descending the Western Ghats into Kerala. 

On my own, I stopped to take a photo of the amazing view and soon noticed a pesky bumblebee sized bee buzzing round.  All of a sudden there were several of them and it wasn't long before I was being stung all over.  I ran away (stupidly away from my bike) and started to panic.  There was no one else around and I was being stung on my head, face, neck and through my (thin) shirt.  I've never been so frightened in my life. 

I ran back to my bike thinking I could out run them and gingerly rode further down the hill while swatting furiously and thinking about anaphylactic shock.  I soon came across another of our party with blood all over him as he'd crashed his bike when attacked.  For some reason the bees ignored his wife and she'd killed around 40 on him and dispatched at least that amount who were still over me. 

Around half an hour later when we'd all calmed down, our back-up vehicle appeared and we got taken to the nearest town where others of our party had already arrived.  Several other people had a been attacked and one other had crashed to the point where he was lying nearly unconscious in the middle of the road.  A passing truck had ignored him through fear of the bees and he forced himself back on the bike to get away.

Aside from cuts and bruises (and the odd stitch in one case), we all felt fine once most of the stings had been removed and I assume the bees were an aggressive but fairly harmless variety?  Horrible experience though.

Elleigh

« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2008, 12:12:12 pm »
Ouch. M sympathy to both of you

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2008, 05:48:53 pm »
Horrible bee stories.
My best friend once picked up an apple but found it was full of hundreds of wasps - they chased him all the way home stinging him all over. It was horrid but mild compared to Indian killer bees.

« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2008, 06:01:11 pm »
My brother once poked a stick in a wasps nest and shouted "RUN!!!!" when they started to fly out.

I said "Huh?"  because I was 2 or 3.  Got stung all over, maybe 30 stings.  I was nude apart from a pair of red wellies.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 02 July, 2008, 06:02:13 pm »
My brother once poked a stick in a wasps nest and shouted "RUN!!!!" when they started to fly out.

I said "Huh?"  because I was 20 or 30.  Got stung all over, maybe 30 stings.  I was nude apart from a pair of red wellies.

Truly a sight to behold....  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2008, 06:14:11 pm »
I drank a wasp once (from a beer bottle) and burped it back out. Which, if you've never seen anyone burp a wasp, is one hell of a party (well, BBQ) trick.

I've never been stung though. Either that or I'm immune.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2008, 08:54:16 pm »
Bee stings are very odd. Sometimes the effect can be cumulative. Other beekeepers of my acquaintance seem to have less reaction the more often they are stung. I was always frightened of being stung, even when I was up to my armpits in 80000 or so of the buggers. I was very particular to keep them out of overall and veil, but sometimes you just can't help it: one will get in.

When I was about 8, my brother, then 14, pissed into a wasp's nest. I was stung as a result, twice on the face.

Wasps are quite feeble in comparison to honey bees, largely because their colonies are so small in comparison.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:21:37 pm »

I said "Huh?"  because I was 2 or 3.  Got stung all over, maybe 30 stings.  I was nude apart from a pair of red wellies.

I misread that, and first thought "that must have hurt", then "two?"