Author Topic: Trainspotters. Why?  (Read 93495 times)

Re: Trainspotters. Why?
« Reply #175 on: 15 October, 2011, 11:44:43 pm »
That'd turn a few heads, be a shame if it's been repainted. I quite like looking at the graffiti on forrin trains when I get chance to see them.

« Reply #176 on: 16 October, 2011, 08:14:04 am »
I'd just like to say that I'm loving this - you can't have too many trains. It's an n+1 thing.
Since scotrail put on the extra fast trains from Embra to Glasgow central, my life has been transformed by the ability to easily travel with bicycle to one of my regular places of work in darkest lanarkshire. Lots of trains have been seen and enjoyed.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #177 on: 15 March, 2012, 11:46:26 am »
Thread necromancy because we haven't had much steamy goodness around here recently.

From/THROUGH my office window:

That's as much zoom as the camera on my phone allows.  It looks bigger in real life.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #178 on: 15 March, 2012, 11:57:52 am »
Where is it going?
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #179 on: 15 March, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »
Where is it going?
Nowhere. Or possibly back into the Railway Technical Centre.  There's an ever-growing cluster of hi-viz vests on the adjacent track, peering at the wheels and driving gear.  The photo I posted shows two - it's now at least 5.   I suppose this is what proving-runs are for.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #180 on: 15 March, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »
Crop, Rower, crop!  Please.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #181 on: 15 March, 2012, 12:41:22 pm »
Crop, Rower, crop!  Please.
Sorry - that assumes IT and photo-manipulation skillz which are well beyond me.  I'll attempt to learn sometime.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #182 on: 15 March, 2012, 12:49:57 pm »
It also assumes you want to spend time doing it.  :)

Cropping is easy with Irfanview (free).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #183 on: 15 March, 2012, 12:51:37 pm »
Itsok.  We can see a larger version of the steamy goodness here: http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm63/rower40/IMAG0035.jpg

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #184 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
Thread bump.  More trainspotter-spotting.
Start them train-spotting when young...

« Reply #185 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:22:37 pm »
When Oli was still but a Very Little Nephew, we had a day out at Alresford steam railway, where I took this especially nice family group.

S7001125 by Panticle, on Flickr

Why look at boring Auntie Sue's camera, when there's a TRAIN behind you....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #186 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:25:39 pm »
Black one, so that's Donald or Douglas, isn't it?
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #187 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:30:50 pm »
Black one, so that's Donald or Douglas, isn't it?
Can't be.  The maker's plate (just above the bufferbeam) says Crewe.  Donald & Douglas were from Glasgae.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #188 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:33:56 pm »
Jack is a trainspotter.  When he's out on his walk, he'll quite happily sit for ages, watching trains go past the allotments.  And on Saturday (his first birthday) his treat was a trip on the Bo'ness Steam Railway.  He loved it and they even gave him a special doggy ticket!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #189 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:06:56 am »
Can't be.  The maker's plate (just above the bufferbeam) says Crewe.  Donald & Douglas were from Glasgae.

Donald and Douglas were essentially Caledonian Railway Class 812, though Donald carried an imaginary BR number.  Black was their freight livery although The Fat Controller soon had them painted in blue, ostensibly North Western Railway blue, but Caley blue to trainspotter readers.  Oli is looking at a LMS Ivatt Class 2.

How about some LNER blue?
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #190 on: 11 July, 2012, 05:35:29 am »
How about some LNER blue?

"Oh, no, Officer. We didn't cut down these trees just so that we could get a proper view. No, really."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #191 on: 11 July, 2012, 05:37:53 am »
I was slightly worried about myself on my way home from Scotland when I noticed a class 57 parked up on the through line at Carlisle and immediately knew it was there as a thunderbird loco for the WCML (which was having overhead power problems at the time).

I really do blame this thread
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #192 on: 07 October, 2012, 02:42:35 pm »
While I was making an impromptu connection at Doncaster just now, a GBRF freight train rumbled through.  3 class 66 engines, three hopper wagons (empty).  Now THAT's a power-to-weight ratio!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #193 on: 07 October, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »
You saw a Class 66 in the wild?  I thought they were all at Didcot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #194 on: 07 October, 2012, 04:41:05 pm »
While I was making an impromptu connection at Doncaster just now, a GBRF freight train rumbled through.  3 class 66 engines, three hopper wagons (empty).  Now THAT's a power-to-weight ratio!
Maybe someone had finally cottoned on to the fact that light engine movements aren't exactly cost effective. I shudder to think how much money DB Schenker must be pissing up the wall given the number of Class 66s I see running light past my house.

Anyway ...

About half an hour ago I heard a 'certain' sound which I'd not heard for a while - lo and behold, the Network Rail weedkiller train top'n'tailed by DRS Class 20s  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #195 on: 07 October, 2012, 04:46:59 pm »
We've got a couple class 20s parked in the marshalling yard at the South of site. They make a change as we are usually a class 37 only zone
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #196 on: 07 October, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »
We've got a couple class 20s parked in the marshalling yard at the South of site. They make a change as we are usually a class 37 only zone
Back to the 1950s!

Wasn't Diesel from The Railway Series a class 20?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #197 on: 11 October, 2012, 01:24:27 pm »
IANATS, but I spotted a reference elsewhere to the Luxtorpeda.  Thought some of you might be interested.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #198 on: 15 January, 2013, 04:31:14 pm »
Threadcromancy!

I present: The commemorative 150 years of the Tube, restored and running it's original route. Snapped at Farringdon.

The odd looking unit number 12 was a very early electric electric locomotive, which seemed to be helping the steam train for some reason. Also snapped was a maintenance train of some sort.

You can tell that I was a little caught out for the first pic, as the lens on my phone was smeared with finger grease :facepalm: Annoyingly the train was running really quite fast, which my phone couldn't quite cope with, though I'm pleased with my panning ability luck for the side-on photo, even if there is still a smear on the lens.

The random not-as-old pic is only in there because I think it is a good photo  :)

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #199 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:24:43 pm »
I'll be taking an old trainspotter to the Great Goodbye at Shildon this week :thumbsup: