Author Topic: Trainspotters. Why?  (Read 93112 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Trainspotters. Why?
« Reply #250 on: 18 August, 2015, 08:42:06 pm »
But didn't get the number.

You're not doing it right!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #251 on: 18 August, 2015, 08:50:28 pm »
I've talked my bike into the Posh end of a Pendolino after a FNRttC. Does that count for anything?

The 1st class carriages smelt less of poo. Perhaps that's an inducement for people to upgrade.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #252 on: 18 August, 2015, 11:55:16 pm »
What on earth does "cabbed" mean?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #253 on: 19 August, 2015, 12:01:56 am »
Getting into the driver's cab

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #254 on: 14 September, 2015, 04:57:13 pm »
Thought you might like this:

https://youtu.be/_eFMYfgc5S8
Getting there...

« Reply #255 on: 14 September, 2015, 08:39:01 pm »
Was pleased to read in a local rag that the Todmorden curve is being reinstated allowing Burnley a direct line to Manchester again, after 40 odd years.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #256 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:12:43 pm »
Local news has been reporting for some time now on the push to re open re build the line between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth.
That would be just wonderful for Llandysul.
But I reckon, even if the go ahead were given now, I'm unlikely to be around to see it open.

Bugger.

« Reply #257 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:36:25 pm »
The new borders railway cost circa £300m whereas doubling the A9 will cost £3 billion. Mmmm. Huge areas of Wales, should, of course, be reconnected to the rail network. Speed is not the issue in the UK as it is too small, access is.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #258 on: 15 September, 2015, 08:49:33 am »
Was pleased to read in a local rag that the Todmorden curve is being reinstated allowing Burnley a direct line to Manchester again, after 40 odd years.

Trouble is, its had a heritage cost, and a huge one.  The Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, whch includes what I think is the oldest railway station in the UK (possibly the world?) is no longer rail connected.  This is a direct result of that curve being reinstated.  I'm not sure why, but apparently 'tis so.  So, no more visiting stuff, ever.
Wombat

« Reply #259 on: 15 September, 2015, 10:36:40 am »
On holiday in France as littlies, we used to play the "spot a car registered in each département" game.
In Japan a few years ago,  the fate of the last chocolate lime was determined by the next spotting of a non-Japanese car, which turned into quite a good game (for very vague definitions of "good").

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #260 on: 15 September, 2015, 10:13:46 pm »
My train home from Barrow in Furness the last few days is a 3 carriage affair (153 & 156). They stick them together on the station. Today we were delayed because the driver locked himself out of the class 153 on the front and had get a friend to retrieve the key from the staff room :facepalm:

Wombat

« Reply #261 on: 16 September, 2015, 08:20:29 am »
A friend used to have a journey where they joined 2 377? electrostars together at Barnham.  One day they had 3 goes at coupling them together, with increasing violence, and then some delay.  it turned out that it wasn't that it wasn't coupling, it was that the system wouldn't acknowledge that it had coupled.  Apparently it was literally ctrl-alt-del, and after a long pause and a blue screen or two, all was well.  Probably find that each unit ran different versions of Windows...  ;D
Wombat

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #262 on: 17 September, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
Today's train home is being pulled by a loco in Full BR colours. ???

« Reply #263 on: 17 September, 2015, 03:22:37 pm »
Couldn't find my combo.  Probably chucked out years ago when I discovered gurls.

Numbers were underlined neatly in green ink when spotted.  A little P inscribed next to it meant Pulled (by it).  A little C (the ultimate) meant I'd "Cabbed" it.

As a youngster I actually believed that a time would come when every single number would be underlined with PC next to it.

Don't expect this post to exist for very long.  I can't believe I've shared that.
You were intending on deleting the post. Ah

I can understand why you'd want to do that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #264 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:36:48 pm »
Bugger, I forgot.  Too late now.

« Reply #265 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:51:28 am »
I see that the Gov't has quietly (not much cover in the press) cancelled the planned improvements to the cross pennine and midland rail routes. What price northern powerhouse? Does the Government actually realise that two thirds of the nation is outside London?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #266 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:45:50 pm »
Today's train home is being pulled by a loco in Full BR colours. ???

Big Logo livery.  Used to best effect on the thumping Class 50, one of those diesels everyone likes, maybe because of the noise they make or just because all of them were named after Royal Navy ships.  I had all 50 eventually* , although it took me 25 years to get 50 031 "Hood"; finally seen sitting indoors, next to the cafe area at the Swindon railway museum  ;D

I'll get me anorak now.

*I also had all the Class 253 HST sets, since renumbered Class 43.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #267 on: 08 March, 2016, 12:15:02 pm »
A couple of express trains:

Express by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

Express 2 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

OK, so this is all just a wind up ;)

Wind up by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

P6278519e by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

« Reply #268 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:17:47 pm »
That's not spotting, that's driving  :thumbsup:
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #269 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
Absolutely the best use for a pool table!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #270 on: 08 March, 2016, 05:18:02 pm »
Snooker!
Getting there...

« Reply #271 on: 09 March, 2016, 12:56:14 am »
Even better - could run a Beyer Garrett on a snooker table!

« Reply #272 on: 04 July, 2016, 10:08:24 pm »
If it hasn't been posted before, here's Bill Bryson on Trainspotters: "They looked as though they had never had sex with anything they couldn't put back in a cupboard afterwards."

Wombat

« Reply #273 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:43:39 pm »
On BBC4 next Monday evening: Trainspotting Live. The first programme is coming from Didcot, natch.

I'll record it as I'm in France.  Trouble is, it apparently features my mate Tim Dunn, who is very very very very enthusiastic, and I get tired just watching him speak after a few minutes.  It also features my other mate Andrew's daughter Megan, who is brill, 'cos she is a teenage gurl wot fires steam locomotives on the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway, and is a generally fun person.  This weekend just gone, I encountered her in a pub in Llanfair Caereinion, and didn't initially recognise her because she was clean and tidy, next day I saw her in the messroom and recognised her OK, in overalls and with the obligatory smear of oil on her cheek.  As the programme will feature the W&LLR I must watch it!
Wombat

« Reply #274 on: 05 July, 2016, 07:41:35 pm »
In another millennium, I had a girlfriend whose younger sister was a trainspotter. Good-looking 17 year-old. She had quite an entourage.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897