Author Topic: A little bike tour north Scotland - where to go  (Read 1225 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
A little bike tour north Scotland - where to go
« on: 01 July, 2011, 09:53:36 pm »
I'm off next week and I've booked a train ticket which gets me into Inverness 17:00 on Monday and I leave on 16:45 on Thursday (although it's an open ticket so that's variable).

I have no plan except that I've never cycled north of Inverness, so it's heading north.  I'm planning on camping and am happy to go wild.  I reckon I can easily cover 100 miles a day but I also want to get in a bit of surreptitious trout fishing along the way.

Does anyone have any places/areas that I should consider fitting in?  My rough plan is to head out of Inverness on Monday evening, broadly in the direction of Bonar Bridge.

chris

• (aka chris)
Re: A little bike tour north Scotland - where to go
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »
Head up to Tongue, then zig-zag westwards to Durness. Catch t'ferry and ride to Cape Wrath and back, then hug the coat as you head southwards to Ullapool. If you'rw lucky it'll be a tailwind back to Inverness. Total distance 300 miles ish!

PH

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2011, 01:31:29 pm »
I've had enough of Scottish head winds to last me a while.  I'd be tempted to plan a route between Inverness and Ullapool and use the bus with trailer service one way or the other depending on the weather.  The road from Lairg to Bettyhill is one of the best bits of Scotland I've cycled (Though there's still plenty left I haven't seen) The Crask Inn (Britains remotest pub) is along this stretch and worth a visit.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2011, 05:20:29 pm »
I think I've got the form of a plan.  I'm going to start off in Lairg and cycle west towards Achultibuie before heading up to Lochinver.  I'll then head up towards Durness, possibly fit in the trip to Cape Wrath and then head across to Tongue before doing back down to Lairg, via the Crask Inn.  Thanks for the suggestions.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2011, 06:50:24 pm »
Excellent - that appears to conform to the YACF N Scotland Tour.  andrewc did much the same, but with a bit more on the east coast, in May:  Inverness & onwards.  I followed in his footsteps tyre tracks at half his speed a week later on my Not the Portmahomack 400.  And Wowbagger's proposed schedule towards the end of the Inverness and onwards thread seems to meet the standard perfectly.

You'll be reet ;D